RIP MAD Magazine

Lorraine

Oh,that's sad! It's how I learned the plots of all the big 70s movies! My sisters and I also loved the Spy vs Spy cartoons, the back cover fold ins, and "The Lighter Side" features. We thought those issues were so funny we kept them in a box and my kids ended up reading them too. Rest in Paradise MAD. :(
  • Like 4

Oh,that's sad! It's how I learned the plots of all the big 70s movies! My sisters and I also loved the Spy vs Spy cartoons, the back cover fold ins, and "The Lighter Side" features. We thought those issues were so funny we kept them in a box and my kids ended up reading them too. Rest in Paradise MAD. :(

I used to buy the magazine all the time when I was a little girl too. I used to think it was funny. I'm sure I had no idea why. I doubt if I understood the satire.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

When I was a kid, I took money out of my dad's change bowl to buy one of the "Al Jaffee Spews Out Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions" book. My interest in sarcasm started early.

And may I say it has borne fruit! :)

:LOL: :cool: ;)

• Like 3

I used get a copy of MAD from the grocery store when my mom took us shopping with her. I'll never forget Thulsa Doom from Conan parodied as Thirsty Goon.

End of so many eras . . .

Edited by Nova Carmina
  • Like 2

Bill Gaines. Don Martin. Al Jaffe. Antonio Prohias. And the list goes on.

I remember when the covers said "Cheap 25¢".

Loved the song and musical parodies. Their take on "West Side Story" was classic.

RIP, MAD.

Edited by pjbear05
  • Like 2

When I was a kid, I took money out of my dad's change bowl to buy one of the "Al Jaffee Spews Out Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions" book. My interest in sarcasm started early.

One of my all time favs!!!!!!
  • Like 1

I wonder if they're quitting simply because print media is going away, or if the staff's creative juices are drying up. After 67 years, maybe both?

I can't see that. I think it's the first thing you stated...printed media is going away...

qZ2cAX3.gif

• Like 2

I didn't, and wasn't a regular, and daily reader of "MAD". I've had nothing against it. When it comes to anything that's stupid funny including satire, I don't like, and haven't liked it. I like anything I think, and feel is funny. R.I.P., MAD. Edited by Derek19

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-_futdGfvHR4/TyIiz2mzunI/AAAAAAAABN8/rNU7y3_iW-0/s1600/don-martin-stamp-out-acne.jpg

There can be only one DON MARTIN. :ebert:

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 1

Sergio Aragones was my favorite MAD artist. He made those 'margin of the page' scribbles' all through the magazine...

IHtNH9d.jpgwaTmAyg.jpg

0IDrq0K.jpg

qPvKXTA.jpg