The 2018-2019 NHL Thread

thesweetscience

The tale of two teams; Monday night against one of the worst teams in the NHL this season an aggressive Tampa Bay Lightning earn their 60th win (5-2) of the season. Me Bolts become 1 of only 3 teams in NHL history to do such and seemed poised to actually have enoigh games left to break that record. The team still is not at full health bit seems to be able to overcome that advirsity. It was also annonced that an injury to our back up goalie Lois Domingue forced the lightning to call up Eddie Pasquale from the farm team "The Crunch"

Tuesday night a team that appears to be the lightning in white & blue uniforms take to the ice against a team that is fighting for their post season life the Montreal Canadians. The Lightning strike 1st but seem to be playing a lot in their own defensive end. Pasquale is put in as net minder and does relatively well by being peppered with the puck. Score is a manageable 2-2 at the end of the 2nd period but the SOG numbers are heavily in favor of the home team. The final ends up 4-2 with me Lightning losing a chance to break the most wins by any team in NHL history record. All Tampa can do now is tie the record set by Detroit of 62 games. My question is why did coach cooper not play Pasquale Monday against a team that had nothing to play for at all. Then play our beast net minder Vasilevskiy for last night against a team that was going to bring everything they had & then some! True that Pasquale's demise was from the poor production of the guys in front of him. It is hard for any goalie to do well when having to defend 45 shots on goal! Oh well it is what it is. Up next we travel to Toronto to take on the Leafs in what is sure to be a preview of a playoff game.

Tampa 60 - 16 - 4. 124pts.

Lets GO Lightning!!

:hockeygoon:

I had on eye on that Lightning- Canadiens game as a Canadiens loss would have clinched a playoff spot for the Penguins. Where were the Bolts when we needed them? :LOL: Just kidding. Pens win would have clinched as well but they couldn't manage a win against the Red Wings, either, Tuesday night. They lost 4-1 and have to try again tomorrow night. Their loss gave also home ice to the Caps in the first round. Still looking forward to the playoffs, though! Go Pens!

Lots of weird upsets involving teams that are out of the playoffs beating the top playoff teams. We see that every year but seemingly more so this year.

Sorry, have to pull for the Red Wings tomorrow night. I want the Isles to secure second place and home ice against the Pens. Also pulling for Chicago tonight against the Blues. I want Winnipeg to finish in first in the Central because I think the Stars would have the best shot of winning the first round against the Jets.

Edited by 1-0-0-1-0-0-1
Pens are playing DET tomorrow, not the Habs!
  • Like 2

The tale of two teams; Monday night against one of the worst teams in the NHL this season an aggressive Tampa Bay Lightning earn their 60th win (5-2) of the season. Me Bolts become 1 of only 3 teams in NHL history to do such and seemed poised to actually have enough games left to break that record. The team still is not at full health but seems to be able to overcome that advirsity. It was also announced that an injury to our back up goalie Louis Domingue forced the lightning to call up Eddie Pasquale from the AHL farm team "The Syracuse Crunch"

Tuesday night a team that appears to be the lightning in white & blue uniforms take to the ice against a team that is fighting for their post season life the Montreal Canadians. The Lightning strike 1st but seem to be playing a lot in their own defensive end. Pasquale is put in as net minder and does relatively well by being peppered with the puck. Score is a manageable 2-2 at the end of the 2nd period but the SOG numbers are heavily in favor of the home team. The final ends up 4-2 with me Lightning losing a chance to break the most wins in a season by any team in NHL history record. All Tampa can do now is the the record set by Detroit of 62 games. My question is why did coach cooper not play Pasquale Monday against a team that had nothing to play for at all. Then play our beast net minder Vasilevskiy for last night against a team that was going to bring everything they had & then some! True that Pasquale's demise was from the poor production of the guys in front of him. It is hard for any goalie to do well when having to defend 45 shots on goal! Oh well it is what it is. Up next we travel to Toronto to take on the Leafs in what is sure to be a preview of a playoff game.

Lets GO Lightning!!

You can't compare win totals and point percentages in the pre and post OT and SO eras.

• Like 1

The tale of two teams; Monday night against one of the worst teams in the NHL this season an aggressive Tampa Bay Lightning earn their 60th win (5-2) of the season. Me Bolts become 1 of only 3 teams in NHL history to do such and seemed poised to actually have enough games left to break that record. The team still is not at full health but seems to be able to overcome that advirsity. It was also announced that an injury to our back up goalie Louis Domingue forced the lightning to call up Eddie Pasquale from the AHL farm team "The Syracuse Crunch"

Tuesday night a team that appears to be the lightning in white & blue uniforms take to the ice against a team that is fighting for their post season life the Montreal Canadians. The Lightning strike 1st but seem to be playing a lot in their own defensive end. Pasquale is put in as net minder and does relatively well by being peppered with the puck. Score is a manageable 2-2 at the end of the 2nd period but the SOG numbers are heavily in favor of the home team. The final ends up 4-2 with me Lightning losing a chance to break the most wins in a season by any team in NHL history record. All Tampa can do now is the the record set by Detroit of 62 games. My question is why did coach cooper not play Pasquale Monday against a team that had nothing to play for at all. Then play our beast net minder Vasilevskiy for last night against a team that was going to bring everything they had & then some! True that Pasquale's demise was from the poor production of the guys in front of him. It is hard for any goalie to do well when having to defend 45 shots on goal! Oh well it is what it is. Up next we travel to Toronto to take on the Leafs in what is sure to be a preview of a playoff game.

Lets GO Lightning!!

You can't compare win totals and point percentages in the pre and post OT and SO eras.

But everybody is doing it :LOL:

Hawks are eliminated. Let's try to finish over .500 at least. :popcorn:

My condolences for your team not making it! I have been there before! Do think there will be a major change in the organization and/philosophy stemming from this? Anything you would like to see happen? Finally ( I gotta ask :P ) now your Hawks are officially out do you have a team (or selection of such) you will be pulling for to go all the way?

We can't expect many changes because of the huge contracts on the team. I would make Gustafsson a forward and look for a stud defenseman in the off season. Don't know what's going to happen with Ward. If he leaves, I hope we won't end up with Delia as the backup. The organization has faith in him, I don't. As far as who I want to win it all, give me anybody from the Eastern Conference.

Pens win over Detroit and advance to the playoffs for a 13th year in a row! Didn't want to say anything while the game was on and jinx it. Pens clinched with a 4-1 win! The awesome Phil Kessel had 2 goals, Crosby 1, and Guentzel 1. Murray had 33 saves. On to a (probably short) playoff run!
  • Like 2

62 Wins! 16 Losses! & 4 OT Losses! 128 points! That is how the regular season ended today with a 6-3 win over the Boston Bruins... Man o man what a stellar season it was! Me Sticks of fire are tied for the most wins in a regular season in NHL history. I know there is some points of debate regarding the different eras of this wonderful league but as it stands there have only been 2 teams to have 62 wins in a season & The Tampa Bay Lightning are 1 of them!! :yay: Some other stats;

Tampa had 325 Goals Scored! Significantly more than any team in the league this year!

With 30 road wins Tampa is only 2nd to the 2005-06 Detroit Red Wings!

With a points percentage of .780 have the 2nd highest rate since the 1996-95 Red Wings and 5th best in NHL history in the post 80 game played in a season!

Tampa is 21 points ahead of the 2nd place Flames & Bruins which represents the widest gap in points since the1995-96 Red wings that had a 27 point cushion at the end of the regular season!

Tampa is only the 2nd team in NHL history to post 4 different win streaks of 7W's or more!

Tampa's 3.96 average goals per game is the highest in the NHL since 1996!

Tampa has scored 6 or more goals in a game 19 times which is 2nd only 1995-96 blueschica Penguins that did the same 26 times!

Tampa has trailed going into the 3rd period 21 times, fewest in the NHL and the fewest since the 2008-09 Boston Bruins trailed 17 times!

Tampa's PP rating of 28.1 is the highest PP percentage ever in the 82 game season era and the highest overall since the 1987-88 Flames had a 28.5 PP percentage in an 80 game season.

Tampa's PP percentage on the road is 33.0% which is the highest since the NHL began tracking this stat in 1977!

Nikita Kucherov's 48 PP points are the most any player has had in the last 11 seasons and also became the most scoring Russian born player in the entire history of the NHL!

Tampa had 29 come from behind victories which rewrote the record that was set by the 2015-16 Capitals who had 28 such victories!

Tampa had a .600 points percentage when trailing after one period (15-10-0) which led the league and were the only team over .500 in that situation this season which is the highest percentage in 20 years!

Tampa had a .429 points percentage when trailing after 2 periods this season (9-12-0) which is the best in NHL history since the 82 game season era!

Tampa was the 1st team to have 3-40point scorers (Stamkos, Kucherov & Point) since the 1995-96 blueschica Penguins(Lemieux, Jagr & Nedved)!

Nikita Kucherov's 128 points not only shattered a lightning franchise record, it is the best since Mark Messier's 129 points scored 29 years ago!

Regarding Lightning franchise records Capt. Stephen Stamkos made his 393rd career goal today!

Beast net minder Andrei Vasilevskiy has a career high in save percentage (.925) and goals against average (2.40) in 53 games. He maybe could've added to this stat, however was a healthy scratch and did not play.

I could go on and on of the remarkable accomplishment made by my beloved hockey team this year. Although this historic season will not be soon forgot by all the wonderful supporters this town has for it's team, all these records will most certainly lose their luster if Lord Stanley's Cup is not hoisted by a Lightning team in June! For all you who have teams in the running for the cup I wish you luck! For those that don't I feel your pain and rest assured there is always next season! Tampa's mind blowing regular season is over! Now it's on to the real season! Round 1 starts for us this Wednesday!

:heart: :hockey: :heart:

Lets GO Lightning!!!!!

Edited by Crimsonmistymemory
  • Like 1

62 Wins! 16 Losses! & 4 OT Losses! 128 points! That is how the regular season ended today with a 6-3 win over the Boston Bruins... Man o man what a stellar season it was! Me Sticks of fire are tied for the most wins in a regular season in NHL history. I know there is some points of debate regarding the different eras of this wonderful league but as it stands there have only been 2 teams to have 62 wins in a season & The Tampa Bay Lightning are 1 of them!! :yay: Some other stats;

Tampa had 325 Goals Scored! Significantly more than any team in the league this year!

With a points percentage of .780 have the 2nd highest rate since the 1996-95 Red Wings and 5th best in NHL history in the post 80 game played in a season!

Tampa is 21 points ahead of the 2nd place Flames & Bruins which represents the widest gap in points since the1995-96 Red wings that had a 27 point cushion at the end of the regular season!

Tampa is only the 2nd team in NHL history to post 4 different win streaks of 7W's or more!

Tampa has scored 6 or more goals in a game 19 times which is 2nd only 1995-96 blueschica Penguins that did the same 26 times!

Tampa has trailed going into the 3rd period 21 times, fewest in the NHL and the fewest since the 2008-09 Boston Bruins trailed 17 times!

Tampa's PP rating of 28.1 is the highest PP percentage ever in the 82 game season era and the highest overall since the 1987-88 Flames had a 28.5 PP percentage in an 80 game season.

Tampa's PP percentage on the road is 33.0% which is the highest since the NHL began tracking this stat in 1977!

Nikita Kucherov's 48 PP points are the most any player has had in the last 11 seasons and also became the most scoring Russian born player in the entire history of the NHL!

Tampa had 29 come from behind victories which rewrote the record that was set by the 2015-16 Capitals who had 28 such victories!

Tampa had a .600 points percentage when trailing after one period (15-10-0) which led the league and were the only team over .500 in that situation this season which is the highest percentage in 20 years!

Tampa had a .429 points percentage when trailing after 2 periods this season (9-12-0) which is the best in NHL history since the 82 game season era!

Tampa was the 1st team to have 3-40point scorers (Stamkos, Kucherov & Point) since the 1995-96 blueschica Penguins(Lemieux, Jagr & Nedved)!

Nikita Kucherov's 128 points not only shattered a lightning franchise record, it is the best since Mark Messier's 129 points scored 29 years ago!

Regarding Lightning franchise records Capt. Stephen Stamkos made his 393rd career goal today!

Beast net minder Andrei Vasilevskiy has a career high in save percentage (.925) and goals against average (2.40) in 53 games. He maybe could've added to this stat, however was a healthy scratch and did not play.

I could go on and on of the remarkable accomplishment made by my beloved hockey team this year. Although this historic season will not be soon forgot by all the wonderful supporters this town has for it's team, all these records will most certainly lose their luster if Lord Stanley's Cup is not hoisted by a Lightning team in June! For all you who have teams in the running for the cup I wish you luck! For those that don't I feel your pain and rest assured there is always next season! Tampa's mind blowing regular season is over! Now it's on to the real season! Round 1 starts for us this Wednesday!

Lets GO Lightning!!!!!

You forgot to mention one pretty amazing stat. The Lightning led the league with a goal differential of +103. Second best was Calgary with +62. Last season the Bolts led the league with a +60 differential, so +103 is insane.

• Like 1

Lets GO Lightning!!!!!

You forgot to mention one pretty amazing stat. The Lightning led the league with a goal differential of +103. Second best was Calgary with +62. Last season the Bolts led the league with a +60 differential, so +103 is insane.

Yes you are right! There are tons more stats regarding team and personal accomplishments Tampa had this season. I was trying to cover them all with a "broad stroke" approach and they were all running together :LOL: . But yes a +103 goal differential is definitely incredible! Thank you for adding it to this thread. :D

• Like 1

I could go on and on of the remarkable accomplishment made by my beloved hockey team this year. Although this historic season will not be soon forgot by all the wonderful supporters this town has for For all you who have teams in the running for the cup I wish you luck! For those that don't I feel your pain and rest assured there is always next season! Tampa's mind blowing regular season is over! Now it's on to the real season! Round 1 starts for us this Wednesday!

Lets GO Lightning!!!!!

And against CBJ; thank God, 7 pm starts for the first round. Stick 'em, Bolts.
  • Like 1

Black Sunday, and the excrement has hit the ventilator already:

Bob Boughner gone in FL; Panthers looking at Joel Quenville.

Sabres can Phil Housley.

L.A. Kings not retaining Willie Desjardins.

• Like 1

My picks to win in the first round: Tampa Bay over Columbus, Boston over Toronto, Washington over Carolina, Pittsburgh over New York, Calgary over Colorado, San Jose over Las Vegas, Nashville over Dallas, St. Louis over Winnipeg.
  • Like 3

Banner ad by Panthers at bottom of Page 1 of Sun-Sentinel sports section. Picture of a stern looking Joel Quennville, the caption "Q is here", and the team logo. Pimping for 2019-2020 tix already!

Predators 5 Hawks 2 :sigh: We end the season on a down note. 36-34-12.

It was a difficult year but they did finish better than it looked like in December! Wonder what will change before they start next season, with a 3rd pick in the draft who knows? I do hope that Ward comes back, he did a decent job keeping the team going while Crow was hurt. Toews and Kane had great total goals and they stepped up when needed. At least Q didn't end up coaching in Philly, that would have made me pull out my hair :laughing guy:

Lets GO Lightning!!!!!

Gee, Crimsonmistmemory...how do you really feel?? :coy: Just kidding. The Bolts are impressive and I believe they will take the Eastern Conference no doubt. But one never knows, they may get overconfident and slip a bit. Actually didn't expect them to go out so early last year so...it's the Playoffs .

I am a Western Conference fan so I hold out hope that they will surprise everyone and beat the Bolts...I just don't know which team will end up there. So many teams that have a chance but have players hurt (Sharks, Jets). It would be fun to have an all Canadian final between Calgary and Winnipeg. The reports I have seen today have the networks hoping that matchup doesn't happen, wouldn't get as good of ratings...not so sure about that but I just hope that there are lots of seven game series and we see some great playoff hockey!! :hockeygoon: :clap: :yay: :madra:

• Like 1

I'm going to continue rooting, and cheering for Toronto. I hope the Toronto Maple Leafs will knock out Boston. I think, and feel they have a really good chance to do it. The Pittsburgh Penguins is another team, who I'll be pulling for because they've been my second favorite N.H.L. team. As for the rest of the N.H.L. first round matchups, I think there are a couple, or few pick 'ems. With the Western Conference, it could be more unpredictable, and a toss up, than the Eastern Conference. The other N.H.L. teams, who I would like to see advance into the second round, but don't know if they will are: In the Eastern Conference, Pittsburgh over New York Islanders, Tampa Bay over Columbus, Carolina over Washington. In the Western Conference, Colorado over Calgary, San Jose over Vegas, Nashville over Dallas, and St. Louis over Winnipeg. In the first round, there might be some upsets. If Tampa Bay doesn't win the Stanley Cup, I will be surprised, though. Edited by Derek19
  • Like 3

73's Islanders take the Pens, 4-3 in overtime! Goals by Kessel ( :heart: ) in the first period, Malkin in the second, and Schultz with a minute and a half left to go in the third, which tied it up. Pens couldn't hang on during OT, though, and Josh Bailey scored the winner for the Islanders 4:39 in. Better luck to the Penguins Friday night!
  • Like 1

Still a bit in shock over the results of last nights game. Man the 1st period me Sticks of fire were killing it! Leading 3-0 the house was rocking! Everybody was feeling it! Or House! Our Bolts! Our season, Then things tapered off in the 2nd while allowing Columbus a lone goal the 2nd finished 3-1. No big deal we got this was the general consensus in the stands. Then the unthinkable! If skates had wheels they had all fallen of Tampa's shoes Columbus wins 4-3! I can tell you one thing about weeknight games. The next mornings 5am rolls around a lot faster and the day after is hell but with a win it is well worth it, with a loss the whole day is a drag. Oh well I knew Columbus would win at least one in this series but for the life of me didn't think it was gonna happen on game 1! I guess in a strange sense it is good to get the losses out of the way early... :unsure: :LOL:

Game 2 Friday night!

Lets GO Lightning!!

Edited by Crimsonmistymemory
  • Like 2

Well things started off with a bang; Columbus was ready to play and the Isles look good. Stars surprised the Preds, I thought they were the one team being overlooked Wed. San Jose was fired up, poor Pavelski, scoring a goal with his chin and losing teeth! :hockeygoon: I hope the Knights will give it a better go Friday, they seemed off. Thursday was a mixed bag; glad Toronto beat the Bruins, expected the Caps to win and I hoped the Avs would give Calgary more of a fight, guess we'll have to see how it goes Saturday. It's crazy trying to switch channels to see what's happening...love playoff time :popcorn:
  • Like 2

Lets go Lightning!!!!!!!!

Oooops..........

Well, Columbus won the first two games of the series against the Caps last year and ended up losing . . . Still quite a few games to go.

• Like 1