What are you binge watching lately?

goose

On 4/12/2023 at 5:14 AM, Segue Myles said:

I've been binging The Walling Dead

If any show ever truly suffered from airing one episode a week, it was this one. At least in my opinion. I tried to follow it for two seasons while it originally aired, and found it painfully dull. This surprised me, as I am a big fan of the comics.

Anyway, in the UK the entire show is on Disney+. I decided to give it a try. Well my goodness! This show is perfect for a binge!! I can't get enough of it! I'm on season 4 and it's just the most fascinating show.

It could become as special to me as Mad Men.

This show was sometimes a bit of a struggle to watch in real time because as you said it was made perfect for binging. I never did get around to properly binge watching it. I bailed out around season seven once it became evident that they completely botched the Negan character for the show. The Whisperers did get me to return briefly but then I just stopped watching again and haven't seen the last couple of seasons. I don't even know if the show is done or if it's still on the air.

Edited by J2112YYZ

11 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

This show was sometimes a bit of a struggle to watch in real time because as you said it was made perfect for binging. I never did get around to properly binge watching it. I bailed out around season seven once it became evident that they completely botched the Negan character for the show. The Whisperers did get me to return briefly but then I just stopped watching again and haven't seen the last couple of seasons. I don't even know if the show is done or if it's still on the air.

It's finished now, eleven seasons. Apparently 7 and 8 were bad, but they changed showrunners, with season 9 being really well reviewed.

We will see how long i last. So far, not one season I'd call perfect. In fact, I'd say making each season 16 episodes lead to some filler episodes. Season one was six episodes and had pretty much no filler.

Oh well. I'm sorta nervous about the lesser seasons, I'm enjoying it so much I'd hate to fall out of love with it.

I decided to start watching New Girl. It's been on my list for years, but I've been putting off. I've been watching a lot of 2005-2016 adult comedy movies lately.

It's been three months since I binged a full show. The last show I watched in full was Drawn Together, which I finished in 10 days.

I've also been thinking about watching all of Frasier again. We'll see how long it takes me to watch New Girl.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2023 at 2:30 PM, Segue Myles said:

Well, I just finished my rewatch of 30 Rock.

So as a change of pace, I restarted it.

That show has 2 deep references to something I doubt too many people know about. When I heard them I wondered if the censors knew and though it was too deep or didn't know themselves.

3 hours ago, blueschica said:

That was really good until like the last 2 episodes, it got so farfetched it was hard to understand! 

I've not seen it before, seems pretty good so far. I've only watched the first two episodes.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, treeduck said:

I've not seen it before, seems pretty good so far. I've only watched the first two episodes.

There was a friend of mine that loved the star so much; one day she goes "I'm a Cumberbitch!"   :laugh: :laugh:      The series is really good!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, blueschica said:

There was a friend of mine that loved the star so much; one day she goes "I'm a Cumberbitch!"   :laugh: :laugh:      The series is really good!

The only thing I don't like is the modern update, I prefer the 19th century setting. Also how have all these people in 2010 never heard of Sherlock Holmes!? :laugh:

• Haha 2

The Chucky movies. I love them all, but contrary to popular opinion, Seed Of Chucky is my absolute favourite.

• Like 1

Going back a bit.  Getting started with both Barney Miller and MASH from their first seasons.  Will add Emergency! to the list once I convert the DVDs to digital.

On 4/25/2023 at 5:59 AM, Segue Myles said:

The Chucky movies. I love them all, but contrary to popular opinion, Seed Of Chucky is my absolute favourite.

2nd one is my favorite.  That one kill to the eyes at end is a jaw dropper.  Seed is good as well especially for not just it's meta style but a certain meta kill of 

Spoiler

the makeup artist of the movies getting beheaded.

Getting back into Community on Netflix.  I've seen most of the first 3 seasons but haven't seen the later ones for the most part.  I'm watching the first paintball episode right now.  

Edit:  It's rekindled my crush on Brie. :wub:

Edited by invisible airwave

Cheers

Last year in a very short space of time, I binged seasons 1-9, but then got a little fatigued. Resumed from where I left off, and I love it!

I feel the show was at its best and most creative during the Diane years, but I love the second phase. Is 11 seasons a bit much? I think maybe, but I'm enjoying season 9 a lot and it makes for a fun afternoon viewing. I am no expert on sitcom history, but I feel every single sitcom since still borrows heavily from Cheers.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Cheers

Last year in a very short space of time, I binged seasons 1-9, but then got a little fatigued. Resumed from where I left off, and I love it!

I feel the show was at its best and most creative during the Diane years, but I love the second phase. Is 11 seasons a bit much? I think maybe, but I'm enjoying season 9 a lot and it makes for a fun afternoon viewing. I am no expert on sitcom history, but I feel every single sitcom since still borrows heavily from Cheers.

Diane years may be better.  but i prefer the Rebecca era for the more ensemble feel.  Diane years shafted other characters a little TOO much for me in favor of wil they/won't they?

By season 4 i already feel that wear on me.

Mick

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Diane years may be better.  but i prefer the Rebecca era for the more ensemble feel.  Diane years shafted other characters a little TOO much for me in favor of wil they/won't they?

By season 4 i already feel that wear on me.

Mick

Diane also turned out to be a thoroughly unlikable character by the time she left the show. She's a fictional character yet I wanted to murder her by the time she left. You're right about it being more of an ensemble once Rebecca came it. Cheers was great at rolling with the changes. Coach dies and is replaced by Woody. Diane leaves and in comes Rebecca. Frasier was only meant to be on for one season and then became a break out character so they made him a regular. That's what helped it to stay pretty solid and not overstay it's welcome too much while other shows which lasted as long were stale for years before they ended.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, J2112YYZ said:

Diane also turned out to be a thoroughly unlikable character by the time she left the show. She's a fictional character yet I wanted to murder her by the time she left. You're right about it being more of an ensemble once Rebecca came it. Cheers was great at rolling with the changes. Coach dies and is replaced by Woody. Diane leaves and in comes Rebecca. Frasier was only meant to be on for one season and then became a break out character so they made him a regular. That's what helped it to stay pretty solid and not overstay it's welcome too much while other shows which lasted as long were stale for years before they ended.

Let me say.  i was trying to hold back but.........sigh......i HATE diane:laugh: She treats sam like garbage.  activly TRYING to get him to mess up.  Takes little to no notice f his feelings.  Treats most folks like dirt and never really grows as a person.

Now i get thats her gimmick but.....the show kinda wants her to be a fan fav.....but she's a bitch.

and i get sam's no prize either but he's a good guy deep down.  Diane:puke:

lol.

Mick

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Let me say.  i was trying to hold back but.........sigh......i HATE diane:laugh: She treats sam like garbage.  activly TRYING to get him to mess up.  Takes little to no notice f his feelings.  Treats most folks like dirt and never really grows as a person.

Now i get thats her gimmick but.....the show kinda wants her to be a fan fav.....but she's a bitch.

lol.

Mick

I wish I could like this post more than once.

• Haha 3

I agree on all points. I loved the early seasons of Cheers, and I actually LOVE that Diane isn't perfect. I actually enjoyed hating her (and watching Carla say what i though). It makes for great comedy and drama. I think the show survived because she went as she as bringing the energy down and with Rebecca, they evolved the show, as Mick says, into a more ensemble show and I have to say it just kept on being brilliant without becoming one note. I also LOVE Kirsty Alley like no one's business. 

I'm excited to finish and watch Frasier next. I have only seen a little of Frasier and loved what I saw.

I love the Cheers chat guys!

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

lol.

Mick

Confusing thing is, she was a fan fave. Looking at the shows history, I've seen some videos on YouTube about how people assumed her leaving would end the shows glory years, and that her future would be bright.

Erm...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

I agree on all points. I loved the early seasons of Cheers, and I actually LOVE that Diane isn't perfect. I actually enjoyed hating her (and watching Carla say what i though). It makes for great comedy and drama. I think the show survived because she went as she as bringing the energy down and with Rebecca, they evolved the show, as Mick says, into a more ensemble show and I have to say it just kept on being brilliant without becoming one note. I also LOVE Kirsty Alley like no one's business. 

I'm excited to finish and watch Frasier next. I have only seen a little of Frasier and loved what I saw.

I love the Cheers chat guys!

Frasier IMO realy Shouldn't have worked as his own thing.  i love frasier but he really is a weird charater to have his own show.  you'd think he'd get annoying.  and the upped his snooty-ness on his own show.  but it works and the cast around him is awesome.  and as a bonus you get most of the cheers cast visiting Frasier.  Sans Rebecca sadly.

Mick

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Segue Myles said:

Confusing thing is, she was a fan fave. Looking at the shows history, I've seen some videos on YouTube about how people assumed her leaving would end the shows glory years, and that her future would be bright.

Erm...

oh everybody thought cheers was dead.  that opinion didn't age well.  Meanwhile Shelley long's career stagnated, lol

Mick

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bluefox4000 said:

Frasier IMO realy Shouldn't have worked as his own thing.  i love frasier but he really is a weird charater to have his own show.  you'd think he'd get annoying.  and the upped his snooty-ness on his own show.  but it works and the cast around him is awesome.  and as a bonus you get most of the cheers cast visiting Frasier.  Sans Rebecca sadly.

Mick

If you want more Kirsty Alley, I love her in a totally different role: the civil war drama North And South

Just now, bluefox4000 said:

oh everybody thought cheers was dead.  that opinion didn't age well.  Meanwhile Shelley long's career stagnated, lol

Mick

There is much I enjoyed about what she brought to the show. But it would have turned to shit long before it reached the eleventh season