Is a song "Stairway to Heaven" overrated?

Texas King

Is a song "Stairway to Heaven" overrated?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Is a song "Stairway to Heaven" overrated?

No.

It's overplayed to death but the song is worthy of the praise. I haven't heard it in a very long time though. So the break from hearing it has helped me to look upon it more favorably than I would have 20 years ago.

• Like 10

No.

It's overplayed to death but the song is worthy of the praise. I haven't heard it in a very long time though. So the break from hearing it has helped me to look upon it more favorably than I would have 20 years ago.

You made me change my vote. I voted yes but realized I've simply heard it too many times. I also remembered the Celebration Day version:

I think Robert's aged voice adds a much more emotional mood to the song

• Like 1

No.

This exactly^^^. There is a huge difference between "overrated" and "overplayed". Actually just 5 or 6 letters lol.... Edited by Narps
  • Like 6

No.

No.

This exactly^^^. There is a huge difference between "overrated" and "overplayed". Actually just 5 or 6 letters lol....

Agreed! :)
  • Like 1

It may be my least favorite tune on ZOSO so I went with overrated. It's possible I would be singing a different tune if it wasn't so played out.
  • Like 1

I'd rather listen to Free Bird any time over of Stairway To Heaven.

Freebird is also overplayed. but i was watching a movie called Kingsman. there was a scene where a character was slaughtering a whole Church full of people......sounds bad i know, lol but they were playing the entire solo from Freebird over it. and god damn the song really made the scene kick ass, lol

Mick

• Like 1

Overrated? Never. Never has been, ever will be, though it does cast a shadow over a ton of other worthy music at times, especially within Zep's own catalogue.

Overplayed? Always. Nuff said.

No--certainly not overrated. It just may very well be the greatest rock song ever written. Certainly the greatest guitar solo. There is more beauty, emotion and energy in those 50 seconds of solo than in the entire solo of Freebird for sure.

Wish I could have put it into words like you did. Also, if anyone was here was around when the song first came out, it made quite an impact. It was one of those songs that everyone was talking about.

There's a reason why it's been overplayed on the radio. Same reason why The Beatles have been overplayed.

I think I'll go listen to it now, but not live. I can't stand watching Robert Plant and his campy onstage vamping around.

Edit: It's still a good tune, but I didn't like the remastered version I listened to:

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

Think of all the music that has been written and recorded since then, and then think how much of it is comparable to Stairway

Stairway is an incredible piece of music and absolutely deserves a whole lotta love

• Like 3