Aerosmith or KISS or New York Dolls?

Texas King

Aerosmith or KISS or New York Dolls?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Aerosmith or KISS or New York Dolls?

• Aerosmith
    • KISS
    • New York Dolls

Between these three bands which were notable during the 70's what is your pick?

My ranking:

1.Aerosmith

2.New York Dolls

3.KISS, by a wide margin behind Aerosmith and by a fair margin behind NYD. I could never understand the popularity of this band. I think only their debut is a decent record.

• Like 1

If we're talking just 70's output then most definitely Aerosmith.

Then Kiss, who are unfairly maligned I think...a lot of their output was pretty damn good once you got past the maketeering.

Whilst I like the NYD, they don't compare to the above two, though I have a soft spot for Johnny Thunders solo stuff.

• Like 1

Aerosmith by a lot. Then Kiss. Then I guess Buster Poindexter's old band.

Hot, hot, hot!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-adHxbVfGJMs/T1NKsdNi5cI/AAAAAAAAA6U/ryUnFhDAWzY/s1600/busterpoindexter.jpeg

Aerosmith, for sure. I like Kiss a lot, from what I've heard. But I only have their first four albums.

• Like 1

Hot, hot, hot!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-adHxbVfGJMs/T1NKsdNi5cI/AAAAAAAAA6U/ryUnFhDAWzY/s1600/busterpoindexter.jpeg

Aerosmith, for sure. I like Kiss a lot, from what I've heard. But I only have their first four albums.

Rock and Roll Over & Love Gun are good too. I still like Destroyer the most though

• Like 2

Hot, hot, hot!

Rock and Roll Over & Love Gun are good too. I still like Destroyer the most though

Love Gun is my favorite of the pre-Dynasty albums. Animalize is my favorite of the post-Dynasty albums. I don't know why, but I think of that album as sort of a turning point for the band.

• Like 2

You're talking three of my all time favorite bands ..

The thing that separates KISS for me is the connection they had with me ( and obviously millions of other kids ) in the 70s as far as being able tap into two very important things - under all that superhero, larger than life persona, they tapped into the geeky, awkward part of my childhood - it's hard to explain, but they came along when they were needed most ..

The songs are great too - Hard Luck Woman, Room Service, Rocket Ride, She, I Was Made For Lovin' You - all very different and still sound great today ..

Aerosmith had a run of absolutely classic album during that time too ..

The Dolls were great, but short lived .. Johnny Thunders is a guy a love

- KISS

- Aerosmith

- The Dolls

Not many other bands would bring a guy up on stage and give him props for heading the movement to surround a radio station and not leave until KISS was played ...

starkey75.jpg

• Like 1

I bought the first Kiss album after seeing them at the Beacon Theater in NYC in 1974. Yeah, some good rock tunes but the first album was it for me. Never bought another Kiss album after that.

My roommate at college had the NY Dolls album. Jetboy !!!

Aerosmith for sure.

• Like 1

Of these bands, KISS was the one I dug the most. Aerosmith never caught on with me, beyond Walk this Way and Sweet Emotion, and the New York Dolls were never on my radar at all.

The Dolls were most notable in the under ground I think. They were a big influence on a lot of much bigger bands, but they've never really hit the mainstream. In other words I listened to one of their songs on Spotify once, that's all I've heard.

Aerosmith define classic rock. When I think of rock, I think of Aerosmith. That will never change. They were never the strongest album band but their records were always rockin', and I'm of the firm belief that Pump is better than any of their seventies records, the other eighties albums also being pretty great. You wanna talk perfect rock and roll bands, they don't get any closer to the heart of rock and roll than Aerosmith. I could listen to them all day.

That said, KISS are unbelievable. So, so, so, so much charisma and identity, I can't help but love them even if their output is a little worse than Aerosmith's. But boy, Alive sure wreaks havoc on most live albums. KISS is cool, and that will also never change. Scooby and Shaggy were big KISS fans! (Lol) And they've got a ton of great songs. Not to mention Paul Stanely is an incredibly under appreciated vocalist. It takes more than average talent to sing like that. I need to put him in my list of favs.

It's a close call between Smith and KISS, but the music nerd in me usually prefers better records, so I'll vote Aerosmith.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 1

KISS and The Dolls came from the same time and place, and they knew each other .. KISS were never embraced by the artsy Andy Warhol NYC clique like the Dolls were - they were outcasts even in their own scene ..

KISS' first show was in Queens - January 1973 - and they didn't play Madison Square Garden until 1977 . . They were never embraced by critics - and the fans loved them even more for that .

5376279839_7397054d2f_z.jpg

I agree I wouldn't put NYDs in the same category as the other two. As far as music goes I think Aerosmith wins this by a landslide. If we're talking marketing, then Kiss wins by a landslide.
  • Like 2

KISS and The Dolls came from the same time and place, and they knew each other .. KISS were never embraced by the artsy Andy Warhol NYC clique like the Dolls were - they were outcasts even in their own scene ..

KISS' first show was in Queens - January 1973 - and they didn't play Madison Square Garden until 1977 . . They were never embraced by critics - and the fans loved them even more for that .

Flint, Michigan before the water crisis had some pretty great live music.

Flint, Michigan before the water crisis had some pretty great live music.

Hell yes!!!!!

GRAND FUNK!!!!!!!

Forget the addition of the RAILROAD! SELL OUT!!!!!