Your personal rating of Rush debut album?

Texas King

Your personal rating of Rush debut album?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Your personal rating of Rush debut album?

• ★☆☆☆☆
    • ★★☆☆☆
    • ★★★☆☆
    • ★★★★☆
    • ★★★★★

2. Great playing at times from geddy and Alex. Just not very rushy. Derivative riffs and so so lyrics. It's pretty amazing to listen to this and realize they made 2112 2 years later. Completely different band.

I couldn't name most of the songs on the album and I've been a big fan since 1980. I'd give it two stars if it was some other band. It gets an extra star for being interesting in listening for clues of what would come later.
  • Like 1

Four stars. A great hard rock record by a group of just barely 20 year-old kids.

Alex and Geddy's chops on their instruments were definitely on display, too. The songwriting is pretty pedestrian, but the sound of those songs is just awesome.

• Like 2

Had to give it 5.

I bought it for $4.99 years ago and have gotten my money's worth many times over.

Goofy lyrics? Check!

Great sounding guitars, bass, drums? Check!

Playing like they mean it? Check!

Fun? Check!

'Here Again'? Check!

Such a fun and enthusiastic rock record. I think that's what gets me - the sheer joy of making music that pours out of the speakers. Love it!

:ebert:

• Like 2

I give it a 4!! One of my fav Rush albums, in fact, ever Rush album I have heard is a 9 or a 10 for me!!

A 9/10 or a 10/10 would be equal to a 5/5 score if 0.5 measures aren't taken into account.

• Like 2

My rating: 5. :cool:

Damn right. I cut my RUSH teeth on it, via cassette and reel to reel versions of Archives. 5-star guitar...fast car...go far...

Sub-par? Hardy har!

:haz:

• Like 3

2. Great playing at times from geddy and Alex. Just not very rushy. Derivative riffs and so so lyrics. It's pretty amazing to listen to this and realize they made 2112 2 years later. Completely different band.

That is true. But both bands slay it!

It has its high points and low points. Working Man is the obvious highlight but What You're Doing and Finding My Way are extremely good listens to me. It's not quite Rush, clearly, and is very much based around the blues rock scene of the time in which it was recorded.

I gave it a 3. I would have given it a 4 IF (and this is still one of my biggest unrealized wishes) they had put a proper recording of Garden Road on there. I don't know the circumstances surrounding why the song wasn't cut onto the album, but it would have been a nice addition in my opinion.

Edited by Natural Scientist in 2112
  • Like 2

Anyone who gives this album 5 stars is a total Rush fanatic who thinks Rush is a better band than Led Zeppelin. :LOL:

I like Rush way better than Led Zeppelin, but I give the debut 3 stars because to me, it is solidly average.

4 and its better than anything that has come out since 1984 in my humble opinion....

Alex is the reason I could see myself enjoying this album more. Honestly when I listen to the seventies albums I get sadder and sadder thinking about how in the background he sounded in the eighties...

• Like 3

4 and its better than anything that has come out since 1984 in my humble opinion....

Alex is the reason I could see myself enjoying this album more. Honestly when I listen to the seventies albums I get sadder and sadder thinking about how in the background he sounded in the eighties...

The debut is all about Alex...and Geddy flexing his vocal muscles.

:guitar:

• Like 1