Biggest Takeway from "Time Stand Still"

zappafrank

Here's an interview she did... http://montrealgazette.com/entertainment/music/movie-review-time-stand-still-marks-the-end-of-the-road-for-rush

An unconventional fandom

Jillian Maryonovich remembers the night in November 1991 when she went to see Rush for the first time, in Milwaukee on the Roll the Bones tour, and left with her mind rearranged.

“It changed the way I perceived music and concerts and art and performance,” she said by phone last week. “It changed my life.”

Maryonovich went on to become creative director of RushCon, a fan convention worthy of such an ambitious band. An especially dynamic presence in Time Stand Still, she relates how she also became the White House’s digital creative director — a corollary to her explanation of how driven Rush’s audience can be.

When she heard about a documentary that would follow last year’s R40 dates, Maryonovich reached out to producer Allan Weinrib on behalf of RushCon, which was held in Toronto and L.A. during the tour. “I said, ‘Hey, I know you guys are interviewing fans, and I can think of a really great place where you’ll have 200 crazy fans all together and I’m sure they would all love to talk to you.’ ”

It paid off: Time Stand Still is as much a testament to Rush’s audience as it is to the band. Maryonovich approached the finished film with some concerns — “I hope they’re presenting RushCon in a good light … and are they representing my career and the people I work for in a good light?” — but says she was overjoyed.

“It was so wonderful … but listening to the band talk about ‘the end’ is a new thing for us, and it’s very gut-wrenching. So there were many factors at play for me emotionally.”

Maryonovich is about to help present what she says will be the final RushCon, held in Toronto from Thursday, Nov. 3, to Saturday, Nov. 5, to coincide with Time Stand Still’s theatrical release. “I can’t see us getting enough people interested in coming anymore if there’s no tour to follow … but then the documentary rolled out and they told us that RushCon’s in it fairly (prominently). And I thought, ‘OK, we can’t not celebrate this last thing.’ ”

Time Stand Still wasn’t Maryonovich’s onscreen debut — she played a DMV employee badgering President Obama for his birth certificate in a filmed skit for the White House Correspondents’ Dinner in April. So, is the commander-in-chief a Rush fan?

“No, he doesn’t know who they are,” she said, laughing. “He likes Stevie Wonder and R&B. He’s cool — he’s super cool — but I don’t think he follows Canadian progressive rock.”

• Like 3

She was a pleasant addition to the documentary, loved the clip they showed of her with the President and Boehner, sipping wine and wearing sunglasses :laughing guy:
  • Like 2

My biggest takeaway was.....that is it truly over.
  • Like 6

My biggest takeaway: I didn't know just how obsessed some Rush fans are. The HUGE catalogue that the one guy had was truly amazing.......:LOL:
  • Like 4

My biggest takeaway: I didn't know just how obsessed some Rush fans are. The HUGE catalogue that the one guy had was truly amazing.......:LOL:

I thought the same- I had no idea. Though I guess I shouldn't be surprised at what fanaticism means, for some.

I thought a lot about the guy who said he saw thirty-seven shows just on the Clockwork Angels tour alone.

:o

I mean, if I had the means and the personal freedom to do it, would I do it? Of course I would! But that's pure fantasy, for me.

• Like 5

She was a pleasant addition to the documentary, loved the clip they showed of her with the President and Boehner, sipping wine and wearing sunglasses :laughing guy:

I loved the Obama fist bump :fistbump:

• Like 3

My biggest takeaway: I didn't know just how obsessed some Rush fans are. The HUGE catalogue that the one guy had was truly amazing....... :LOL:

I need to find that guy and listen to his stories (and talk a little shop.) Barely scratched the surface with that.

So yeah the biggest takeaway is that it's all over. I could have done with out the Obama/Biden footage but yeah it's over.

Yet if they play live again, not a major tour but just play live again somewhere I won't feel this documentary is any less poignant.

• Like 2

Guess that the documentary really brings home the ending of the group as we have known it. It's still a little difficult to believe they wont put out any more music. They have been so reliable over the years for the most part to think that there won't be any more music is really sad.
  • Like 8

My biggest takeaway from the documentary is that they might have packed in the major tours at just the right time. I watched the bonus material and Neil's extra drum part at the end of Superconductor is mind boggling. I think if one were to ask Neil if he can still play like that, he'd acknowledge that it's unlikely. I think it's time. I say thank you Neil, thank you Al and thank you Ged for what amounts to a lifetime of brilliance. I'll be forever grateful for what you've brought to my life. Edited by Phantom
  • Like 12

My biggest takeaway from the documentary is that they might have packed in the major tours at just the right time. I watched the bonus material and Neil's extra drum part at the end of Superconductor is mind boggling. I think if one were to ask Neil if he can still play like that, he'd acknowledge that it's unlikely. I think it's time. I say thank you Neil, thank you Al and thank you Ged for what amounts to a lifetime of brilliance. I'll be forever grateful for what you've brought to my life.

:goodone:, on all fronts.

My first Rush show happened to be on the Presto tour, and I thought the particular sequence of Xanadu->YYZ->Rhythm Method was just mind-boggling.

Listening back to it now...I still feel the same way.

:)

• Like 2

My biggest takeaway is that I was wrong about the whole Peart retirement thing. The guy's a phenomenon and fantastically loyal.

I owe Peart an apology.

Neil Ellwood Peart I am sorry I challenged your integrity and loyalty to the band. Enjoy your well-earned retirement from touring.

• Like 13

My biggest takeaway is that I was wrong about the whole Peart retirement thing. The guy's a phenomenon and fantastically loyal.

I owe Peart an apology.

Neil Ellwood Peart I am sorry I challenged your integrity and loyalty to the band. Enjoy your well-earned retirement from touring.

very well said.
  • Like 1

I just watched a bunch of the bonus Presto tour footage. Damn if that is not them at peak it's pretty close.

How was the video quality and audio quality concert footage. Is it better than bootleg and or as good as a regular release and is it in widescreen or fullscreen. Sorry for all the questions I'm getting this for Christmas and can't wait to experience the bonus footage that's the first thing I'm watching.

• Like 1

I just watched a bunch of the bonus Presto tour footage. Damn if that is not them at peak it's pretty close.

How was the video quality and audio quality concert footage. Is it better than bootleg and or as good as a regular release and is it in widescreen or fullscreen. Sorry for all the questions I'm getting this for Christmas and can't wait to experience the bonus footage that's the first thing I'm watching.

The video quality is definitely better (just recalling from when I saw it in the theater)- the audio certainly is as well. Whether it's widescreen or full screen, I don't know. I'll have to wait for that too, since I don't own it yet!

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 1

The video quality is definitely better (just recalling from when I saw it in the theater)- the audio certainly is as well. Whether it's widescreen or full screen, I don't know. I'll have to wait for that too, since I don't own it yet!

I believe the dvd bonus footage differs from the theatrical release bonus material. The bonus Presto tour footage on the dvd is high quality, digital, standard definition, shot in 4:3 aspect ratio. My best guess. I'd rate it as very good sound and picture quality from the era, considering it was not intended to be released at the time it was recorded. Someone here will be checking specs to verify ;)

• Like 1

I finally got around to watching TSS this morning. Yeah, I'm a slacker.

I really enjoyed the stories of the Argentinian and Scottish fans. This personal touch of how Rush's music affects the individual hits you square in the heart.

• Like 4

I finally was able to watch this about a week ago.

My biggest takeaways were:

1)They've earned the right to do whatever they damn well want to do now. Bless 'em.

2) I feel for Ged because he seems to be very upset about this being "the end" of touring. That said....

3) I have to agree with whomever upthread said that maybe they are hanging it up at the absolute right time. Sure, I wanna keep seeing them live but it's important that THEY are happy with their performances.

• Like 8

Love the Obama footage. I'm not a democrat, but I have a feeling people will be praying for Obama back down the road considering what is coming. I would love to hear all the Rush member's takes on what has transpired in America. I know Lee and Lifeson aren't happy. Not sure how Neil feels.
  • Like 4

Love the Obama footage. I'm not a democrat, but I have a feeling people will be praying for Obama back down the road considering what is coming. I would love to hear all the Rush member's takes on what has transpired in America. I know Lee and Lifeson aren't happy. Not sure how Neil feels.

I don't give a fudge what two Canadians and a rich prick in Los Angels thinks. An Obama third term is underserved. It's time for real economic growth not more butt hurt Identity Politics.

• Like 1