Sneak peek inside Neil's new book

blueschica

I think people read too much into Neil's attitude about fans. Having read quite a bit of his blogs, he does seem to genuinely appreciate fans who let him know that he inspired them and helped bring about some joy in a person's life. It's the rabid ones, who tell him he's the God of drums, the greatest drummer and lyricist to ever walk the earth, etc that make him feel uncomfortable and embarrassed. And the ones like the nut who murdered Pantera's guitarist are the reason he's really super-nervous about random encounters. If he were Joe Shmoe drummer in a famous band it would be different, but he's not.

I love that Peter Criss story, by the way--I never got to meet him, but met the rest of KISS, and don't have nearly as sweet of a story about that, but I posted elsewhere here more than once of my one meeting with Geddy Lee, which is very similar except it was much more comical than emotionally touching.

Disagree. He's had professional musicians invited to the same events as him in pretty big bands just walk up to introduce themselves and been completely blown off by Neil.

There's a difference between people you respect and everyone else. I think the list of musicians that Neil respects is on the small side.

I think people read too much into Neil's attitude about fans. Having read quite a bit of his blogs, he does seem to genuinely appreciate fans who let him know that he inspired them and helped bring about some joy in a person's life. It's the rabid ones, who tell him he's the God of drums, the greatest drummer and lyricist to ever walk the earth, etc that make him feel uncomfortable and embarrassed. And the ones like the nut who murdered Pantera's guitarist are the reason he's really super-nervous about random encounters. If he were Joe Shmoe drummer in a famous band it would be different, but he's not.

I love that Peter Criss story, by the way--I never got to meet him, but met the rest of KISS, and don't have nearly as sweet of a story about that, but I posted elsewhere here more than once of my one meeting with Geddy Lee, which is very similar except it was much more comical than emotionally touching.

Disagree. He's had professional musicians invited to the same events as him in pretty big bands just walk up to introduce themselves and been completely blown off by Neil.

There's a difference between people you respect and everyone else. I think the list of musicians that Neil respects is on the small side.

Change the word "musicians" to the word "people" in the second sentence, and I think you've got it!

To all those here who think Rush will do it again, they had better read this.

I have been thinking thisfor almost 2 mos. I have had a ARC and as soon as I read the first 10 pages. It is easy to understand NO MORE RUSH.
  • Like 1

Change the word "musicians" to the word "people" in the second sentence, and I think you've got it!

I was being specific by mentioning musicians because I don't think he really respects "people" in general when it comes to his playing.

I was being specific by mentioning musicians because I don't think he really respects "people" in general when it comes to his playing.

Take away the quotation marks and knock the last six words off that sentence, and I think you've got it!

• Like 3

Take away the quotation marks and knock the last six words off that sentence, and I think you've got it!

Ha

I can't disagree but what does that say about the man? I've always believed you show respect until someone does something to lose that respect.

• Like 1

Wow. Yeah he is absolutely done isn't he. It's been fun and thanks for the memories, huh?

It's not over yet!

I hope you are right. I would love to be wrong but I don't think I am. Did you read what he said? He is definitely not touring anymore. I held out hope for an album but I am feeling less confident about it now. Geddy certainly, and Alex quite possibly, but Neil? Nope.

Edited by catherine
  • Like 1

Wow. Yeah he is absolutely done isn't he. It's been fun and thanks for the memories, huh?

It's not over yet!

I hope you are right. I would love to be wrong but I don't think I am. Did you read what he said? He is definitely not touring anymore. I held out hope for an album but I am feeling less confident about it now. Geddy certainly, and Alex quite possibly, but Neil? Nope.

:(

"And the fullness of time

Is the only return that you expect..."

I'm as sad about the end of Rush as anyone. But I still can't say that I'm sad, overall. Look at the mark they've made, on all of us- look at the legacy they created.

Think about everything they did, Geddy, Alex and Neil together, over the course of 41 years. And that we got to coexist with them, in the same space and time with them- enjoying everything they gave of themselves to us, for 41 years.

Over the whole course of human history, it's something that only lasted for 41 years. And we've gotten to be a part of it with them.

It's pretty remarkable, really...if you think about it.

:rush:

• Like 6

I'm as sad about the end of Rush as anyone. But I still can't say that I'm sad, overall. Look at the mark they've made, on all of us- look at the legacy they created.

Think about everything they did, Geddy, Alex and Neil together, over the course of 41 years. And that we got to coexist with them, in the same space and time with them- enjoying everything they gave of themselves to us, for 41 years.

Over the whole course of human history, it's something that only lasted for 41 years. And we've gotten to be a part of it with them.

I'm really thankful to have come in in time for the last energetic, creative, wonderful burst :yes:

That is a lovely piece of writing, J ! And it's been remarkable indeed.

thats it then. time to get a new drummer & vocalist, who can maybe both write lyrics a bit. the next few years could be truly great exciting times for Rush fans.

:no:

I refuse to listen to any :rush: song without :Neil: and :geddy: in it!

So you refuse to listen to the debut album?

• Like 1

thats it then. time to get a new drummer & vocalist, who can maybe both write lyrics a bit. the next few years could be truly great exciting times for Rush fans.

:no:

I refuse to listen to any :rush: song without :Neil: and :geddy: in it!

So you refuse to listen to the debut album?

No.

There's no Peart on there though. Do you just imagine Peart's wearing a John Rutsey Halloween mask?

• Like 1

Well Neil's done, but it will depend on Al and Ged's headspace as to what if anything they do in the future. To form another band and try to replicate Rush would be a disaster. If they want to create new music and get some inspiration from some new (younger) guys, perhaps go in a slightly different musical direction, hey that could work. New drummer, keyboardist/vocalist to lighten the load on Geddy. Do a smaller tour and mix in some Rush favorites. It just comes down to how adventurous they are at their age.

Jacob Moon did an awesome cover of subdivisions...maybe bring him along for singing and extra guitar.

• Like 1