Sneak peek inside Neil's new book

blueschica

Well Neil's done, but it will depend on Al and Ged's headspace as to what if anything they do in the future. To form another band and try to replicate Rush would be a disaster. If they want to create new music and get some inspiration from some new (younger) guys, perhaps go in a slightly different musical direction, hey that could work. New drummer, keyboardist/vocalist to lighten the load on Geddy. Do a smaller tour and mix in some Rush favorites. It just comes down to how adventurous they are at their age.

Jacob Moon did an awesome cover of subdivisions...maybe bring him along for singing and extra guitar.

Parts (if not, most) of any new music from the combined talents of Geddy and Alex will inevitably sound like Rush. That's the realistic & optimistic thought. IMHO.

• Like 2

Well Neil's done, but it will depend on Al and Ged's headspace as to what if anything they do in the future. To form another band and try to replicate Rush would be a disaster. If they want to create new music and get some inspiration from some new (younger) guys, perhaps go in a slightly different musical direction, hey that could work. New drummer, keyboardist/vocalist to lighten the load on Geddy. Do a smaller tour and mix in some Rush favorites. It just comes down to how adventurous they are at their age.

Jacob Moon did an awesome cover of subdivisions...maybe bring him along for singing and extra guitar.

Parts (if not, most) of any new music from the combined talents of Geddy and Alex will inevitably sound like Rush. That's the realistic & optimistic thought. IMHO.

that's true...you can't ignore about 50 years of playing together. but adding some different guys into the mix would change the chemistry.

I guess it comes down to whether Rush fans would accept future music from Ged and Al without Neil. If we're gonna be dicks to new members, then don't bother.

Edited by HemiBeers

I am really sad that it is over :(

Now you know how I felt in 1982

Huh?

What happened then?

The original KISS line up broke up because Ace left; I would think that's what Lucas is referring to. I wouldn't have thought of it except for his story recently about meeting Peter Criss.

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 1

that's true...you can't ignore about 50 years of playing together. but adding some different guys into the mix would change the chemistry.

I guess it comes down to whether Rush fans would accept future music from Ged and Al without Neil. If we're gonna be dicks to new members, then don't bother.

And that's true too. But I was thinking more specifically of Geddy & Alex writing 90-100% of the music but adding a new drummer or maybe one additional musician. In that specific case, it still would sound very similar to Rush.

I'm not too sad about all this. Rush is one of my hobbies and some hobbies just end. It's a very natural thing. Also, Peart went out on his terms so I'm actually glad about that. And then there's Alex & Geddy...who I really believe will continue to make music. So that's something to look forward to.

• Like 3

I'd be fine with that, although hopefully this new project would not be called Rush.

Might be a chance to see them play some smaller venues too...

And that's true too. But I was thinking more specifically of Geddy & Alex writing 90-100% of the music but adding a new drummer or maybe one additional musician. In that specific case, it still would sound very similar to Rush.

I'm not too sad about all this. Rush is one of my hobbies and some hobbies just end. It's a very natural thing. Also, Peart went out on his terms so I'm actually glad about that. And then there's Alex & Geddy...who I really believe will continue to make music. So that's something to look forward to.

After seeing Brian Wilson this summer, I wonder if Neil will continue to write some lyrics as well. Maybe with Al and Ged, maybe somewhere else. Hear me out . . . after 51 years in the business and years before that, working with melodies, Brian Wilson still makes music. (He toured last summer with a brand new album.) It's his muse, it's who he is really, and I don't think he could turn it off even if he wanted to (he tried for a while.)

I've always thought Neil's thing was drumming; that percussion was who he was. But now I'm thinking maybe I was wrong and writing was his thing all along. Seems like he can live without the drumming, but can he live without the writing? Will he want to work with "the guys that work" on another album? Will he continue writing books? It will be interesting to see how his free time is used. I wish him all the best. :heart:

• Like 3

when CA released i recall thinking The Garden was the absolutely perfect studio track for this band to go out on and dammit it was :(

that being said lets be honest here, Al & Ged are the musical powerhouses of Rush, chuck another drummer in you get something different yeah but if Al & Ged still on fire, who cares. Be brill i'm personally really excited at the prospect bring it on.

• Like 1

when CA released i recall thinking The Garden was the absolutely perfect studio track for this band to go out on and dammit it was :(

that being said lets be honest here, Al & Ged are the musical powerhouses of Rush, chuck another drummer in you get something different yeah but if Al & Ged still on fire, who cares. Be brill i'm personally really excited at the prospect bring it on.

In regards to The Garden, a lot of TRFers thought the same at the time too.

I agree with your 2nd paragraph except for the "who cares" part. Plenty of people care.

• Like 3

In regards to The Garden, a lot of TRFers thought the same at the time too.

I agree with your 2nd paragraph except for the "who cares" part. Plenty of people care.

was referring specifically to the 'something different' part when Neil finished for good. obvs we all care that Neil outa the picture now, jesus, but if Al & Ged still pumped up and the recruitment of another drummer produced a new but different kinda thing then so what if it's new & different with another drummer, i mean who cares in that situation. I'd just personally love to see Al & Ged still rockin it even after the loss of Neil.

• Like 2

I've always thought Neil's thing was drumming; that percussion was who he was. But now I'm thinking maybe I was wrong and writing was his thing all along. Seems like he can live without the drumming, but can he live without the writing? Will he want to work with "the guys that work" on another album? Will he continue writing books? It will be interesting to see how his free time is used. I wish him all the best. :heart:

I hope he at least still writes some stuff.

:Neil: is the best :heart:

Edited by Surrender74

I think people read too much into Neil's attitude about fans. Having read quite a bit of his blogs, he does seem to genuinely appreciate fans who let him know that he inspired them and helped bring about some joy in a person's life. It's the rabid ones, who tell him he's the God of drums, the greatest drummer and lyricist to ever walk the earth, etc that make him feel uncomfortable and embarrassed. And the ones like the nut who murdered Pantera's guitarist are the reason he's really super-nervous about random encounters. If he were Joe Shmoe drummer in a famous band it would be different, but he's not.

I love that Peter Criss story, by the way--I never got to meet him, but met the rest of KISS, and don't have nearly as sweet of a story about that, but I posted elsewhere here more than once of my one meeting with Geddy Lee, which is very similar except it was much more comical than emotionally touching.

Disagree. He's had professional musicians invited to the same events as him in pretty big bands just walk up to introduce themselves and been completely blown off by Neil.

There's a difference between people you respect and everyone else. I think the list of musicians that Neil respects is on the small side.

I disagree back, and I don't think it's as simple as respect or disrespect. Being blown off by Neil could be more about social anxiety than anything else. You assume he was like some normal kid who became a rockstar. He wasn't. He was odd, shy, clumsy, unathletic, and probably teased and picked on a lot by some of the "cool kids" growing up. People like that often have a tough time with compliments, as much as they may have yearned for acceptance earlier. Now the cool kids are suddenly back and wanting to be buddies. Not surprisingly he's wary of some of them, especially the ones he doesn't already know. People who are painfully shy are just scared as hell around any strangers, and they can't just pretend to be extroverts most of the time. Doesn't matter if the stranger happens to be some member of a famous group. And FWIW, being in a famous band doesn't make a person immune to acting like an insane fan, or saying "you're God!" or bringing up his dead wife and daughter or any of the other stuff that notoriously makes Neil run for zee hills. People like that expect every social encounter to end up with them wishing they could have a do over, like when a fan obsesses for months over what they're going to say if they meet their idol, then at the moment of truth they can only act like a puppy drooling all over itself, and muster a "you're my hero," after stammering incoherently for a full minute about whatever they intended as brilliant and scintillating conversation. When a person grows up feeling that way with pretty much any stranger, it's very tough to learn to get over that, even with lots of practice. Another thing to also consider--Just because fans think Neil is the greatest drummer to every hit a drum, doesn't make it true, especially when peers are involved. I'm sure for every famous musician who loves Rush and Neil there's at least one who thinks he's overrated, mediocre and ridiculously showy. And I'd be shocked if he hadn't been face to face with one of those musicians at some point and told he sucks or he's like dentist who has to fill up every hole he sees, or he has no feel, etc.

Edited by HalfwayToGone
  • Like 4

I think people read too much into Neil's attitude about fans. Having read quite a bit of his blogs, he does seem to genuinely appreciate fans who let him know that he inspired them and helped bring about some joy in a person's life. It's the rabid ones, who tell him he's the God of drums, the greatest drummer and lyricist to ever walk the earth, etc that make him feel uncomfortable and embarrassed. And the ones like the nut who murdered Pantera's guitarist are the reason he's really super-nervous about random encounters. If he were Joe Shmoe drummer in a famous band it would be different, but he's not.

I love that Peter Criss story, by the way--I never got to meet him, but met the rest of KISS, and don't have nearly as sweet of a story about that, but I posted elsewhere here more than once of my one meeting with Geddy Lee, which is very similar except it was much more comical than emotionally touching.

So then yeah, what happened when you met Geddy that was comical? Dirk break out into a vaudevillian routine? ;)

To make a long story short, I gave a really intense little speech about how much Rush meant to me, and how their work inspired me to become a musician and how I might be able to make a living and possibly be on the same label with them soon (true at the time), then my best friend/bassist gave a much shorter and more cheerful thank you speech, at which point Geddy replied, "Wow! You guys are really laying some heavy shit on me!" We all laughed, my friend started excitedly talking more, and then he made a gesture with the hand holding his cocktail, and the little straw popped out and somersaulted it's way to the floor, bouncing off the toe of Geddy's perfectly shined, beautiful black leather shoe, causing my friend to instantly choke on what he was saying and just gawk at the straw on the floor with his mouth agape. Geddy reached out and put his hand on my friend's shoulder and said "It's Ok! It's OK!" More laughing, and we said a final thanks again, and wandered off to go say Hi to Alex. Highlight of that--my friend telling Alex about his first Rush show, saying "I was 16 and wasted!" and Alex saying "and I was....let me see....23 and wasted!" More laughing.

• Like 7

So then yeah, what happened when you met Geddy that was comical? Dirk break out into a vaudevillian routine? ;)

To make a long story short, I gave a really intense little speech about how much Rush meant to me, and how their work inspired me to become a musician and how I might be able to make a living and possibly be on the same label with them soon (true at the time), then my best friend/bassist gave a much shorter and more cheerful thank you speech, at which point Geddy replied, "Wow! You guys are really laying some heavy shit on me!" We all laughed, my friend started excitedly talking more, and then he made a gesture with the hand holding his cocktail, and the little straw popped out and somersaulted it's way to the floor, bouncing off the toe of Geddy's perfectly shined, beautiful black leather shoe, causing my friend to instantly choke on what he was saying and just gawk at the straw on the floor with his mouth agape. Geddy reached out and put his hand on my friend's shoulder and said "It's Ok! It's OK!" More laughing, and we said a final thanks again, and wandered off to go say Hi to Alex. Highlight of that--my friend telling Alex about his first Rush show, saying "I was 16 and wasted!" and Alex saying "and I was....let me see....23 and wasted!" More laughing.

:LOL:

I love it! I'm glad I asked!

Disagree. He's had professional musicians invited to the same events as him in pretty big bands just walk up to introduce themselves and been completely blown off by Neil.

There's a difference between people you respect and everyone else. I think the list of musicians that Neil respects is on the small side.

I disagree back, and I don't think it's as simple as respect or disrespect. Being blown off by Neil could be more about social anxiety than anything else. You assume he was like some normal kid who became a rockstar. He wasn't. He was odd, shy, clumsy, unathletic, and probably teased and picked on a lot by some of the "cool kids" growing up. People like that often have a tough time with compliments, as much as they may have yearned for acceptance earlier. Now the cool kids are suddenly back and wanting to be buddies. Not surprisingly he's wary of some of them, especially the ones he doesn't already know. People who are painfully shy are just scared as hell around any strangers, and they can't just pretend to be extroverts most of the time. Doesn't matter if the stranger happens to be some member of a famous group. And FWIW, being in a famous band doesn't make a person immune to acting like an insane fan, or saying "you're God!" or bringing up his dead wife and daughter or any of the other stuff that notoriously makes Neil run for zee hills. People like that expect every social encounter to end up with them wishing they could have a do over, like when a fan obsesses for months over what they're going to say if they meet their idol, then at the moment of truth they can only act like a puppy drooling all over itself, and muster a "you're my hero," after stammering incoherently for a full minute about whatever they intended as brilliant and scintillating conversation. When a person grows up feeling that way with pretty much any stranger, it's very tough to learn to get over that, even with lots of practice. Another thing to also consider--Just because fans think Neil is the greatest drummer to every hit a drum, doesn't make it true, especially when peers are involved. I'm sure for every famous musician who loves Rush and Neil there's at least one who thinks he's overrated, mediocre and ridiculously showy. And I'd be shocked if he hadn't been face to face with one of those musicians at some point and told he sucks or he's like dentist who has to fill up every hole he sees, or he has no feel, etc.

Well, social anxiety is a different thing all together. I'm sure that's part of it as well but I was just commenting on the musicianship side of it as I know it. Most musicians or creative people in general that I have been around don't take the opinions of a casual fan very seriously because they don't really know the blood sweat and tears that went into creating a piece of music or art. It seems like a shallow compliment. Now with Neil, his awkwardness with people surely seems to play into his issues with them all around.

I have a feeling that at this point Lee and Lifeson would just consider it a bit cheesy to try to reinvent Rush. That may just be my bias. I have found the whole post Freddy Queen thing sort of bogus. I see that recognizable Queen logo splashed across some new project with some new awful singer and I think of the Coca-Cola logo or something.

Maybe there's more class in just gracefully . . . ending.

Solo projects - no problem - if you have to make music, you have to make music! And if there is any sort of statement to be made by releasing old live material - anything that transcends the mere need to grub for more money - I'm okay with that, too. I am, however, getting a bit weary of re-releases and new packaging.

• Like 3

I have a feeling that at this point Lee and Lifeson would just consider it a bit cheesy to try to reinvent Rush. That may just be my bias. I have found the whole post Freddy Queen thing sort of bogus. I see that recognizable Queen logo splashed across some new project with some new awful singer and I think of the Coca-Cola logo or something.

Solo projects - no problem - if you have to make music, you have to make music! And if there is any sort of statement to be made by releasing old live material - anything that transcends the mere need to grub for more money - I'm okay with that, too. I am, however, getting a bit weary of re-releases and new packaging.

I agree it would be more classy for them to just end, rather than putting out some less than good music or dragging Neil out to play "just one more gig." That smacks of not being able to let it go and they risk looking stupid and embarrassing.

Well, social anxiety is a different thing all together. I'm sure that's part of it as well but I was just commenting on the musicianship side of it as I know it. Most musicians or creative people in general that I have been around don't take the opinions of a casual fan very seriously because they don't really know the blood sweat and tears that went into creating a piece of music or art. It seems like a shallow compliment. Now with Neil, his awkwardness with people surely seems to play into his issues with them all around.

It's a bullshit elitist attitude that only musicians can appreciate music and what goes into making it. I make films, and believe me, people don't know what goes into making a film any more than they know what goes into making music, and yet somehow I am able to deeply appreciate it when those ignorant people who think that they could make the same film on a iPad praise my work. And I have social anxiety, but when it comes time to do my job, I do it and do it graciously. Certainly I am nowhere near Neil's level, but considering the q&a's I've sweated through and the hands I've shaken and the thanks I've given for praise and the good graces with which I've accepted criticism, while I do understand Neil's distaste for dealing with the public, I don't feel that social anxiety is a good excuse for his level of contempt for his audience. He's just lucky he's in a position where he can get away with it.

I don't understand why people need to believe he's a put-upon nice guy with the milk of human kindness running through his poor socially anxious veins. He doesn't need to have a good character to be a good drummer. I love his work with Rush and am eternally grateful for it. The fact that he's kind of a misanthropic elitist, well...Some people are generally kind and receptive people and some aren't. That's just the human race for you.

• Like 2

It's a bullshit elitist attitude that only musicians can appreciate music and what goes into making it. I make films, and believe me, people don't know what goes into making a film any more than they know what goes into making music, and yet somehow I am able to deeply appreciate it when those ignorant people who think that they could make the same film on a iPad praise my work. And I have social anxiety, but when it comes time to do my job, I do it and do it graciously. Certainly I am nowhere near Neil's level, but considering the q&a's I've sweated through and the hands I've shaken and the thanks I've given for praise and the good graces with which I've accepted criticism, while I do understand Neil's distaste for dealing with the public, I don't feel that social anxiety is a good excuse for his level of contempt for his audience. He's just lucky he's in a position where he can get away with it.

I don't understand why people need to believe he's a put-upon nice guy with the milk of human kindness running through his poor socially anxious veins. He doesn't need to have a good character to be a good drummer. I love his work with Rush and am eternally grateful for it. The fact that he's kind of a misanthropic elitist, well...Some people are generally kind and receptive people and some aren't. That's just the human race for you.

It's not so much a "bullshit elitist attitude" but more of a "if you've walked in my shoes you can understand." Creative people on average tend to be insecure as it is.

It's not so much a "bullshit elitist attitude" but more of a "if you've walked in my shoes you can understand." Creative people on average tend to be insecure as it is.

It's a bullshit elitist attitude if you think that only people who have "walked in your shoes" have worthwhile opinions about your work.

• Like 3

That's because there is absolutely no replacement for someone like Freddie Mercury, and the band's sound is pretty much built around his vocal presence.

Neil is just a drummer. Get the next one and move on...

• Like 2

That's because there is absolutely no replacement for someone like Freddie Mercury, and the band's sound is pretty much built around his vocal presence.

:o

I couldn't disagree more.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 2

:o

I couldn't disagree more.

Same here - and it's not even really about whether a band member is replaceable or not. It's more about something huge that they built together and how meaningful that is to them, not to mention the chemistry that won't stand tampering. Even when they worked apart, that chemistry was still there in abundance. I know other bands have replaced members, but those other bands ain't exactly Rush.

• Like 2

I think he also wrote their lyrics.