Digital Man

Lorraine

124 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the song?

• Love it!
    • Wouldn't say I love it, but I do like it.
    • Dislike it.
    • Hate the song.

Check this awesomeness out:

https://www.youtube....h?v=cIN6Yt6iV3U

When I listen to this isolated drums/bass thing, I hear three notes inserted at 4:10, and a few times after. It almost sounds like a . . . tuba. I never noticed it on the recording. What is that? Bass chords? An extra bass track to give that section a bit more fullness?

When I listen to this isolated drums/bass thing, I hear three notes inserted at 4:10, and a few times after. It almost sounds like a . . . tuba. I never noticed it on the recording. What is that? Bass chords? An extra bass track to give that section a bit more fullness?

Sounds like a synth to me. Maybe Taurus pedals? Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch

Sounds like a synth to me. Maybe Taurus pedals?

Yeah, maybe. It's got a weird sort of brassy sound to my ear. Maybe the sound gets changed a bit when one isolates the track.

• Like 1

Yeah, maybe. It's got a weird sort of brassy sound to my ear. Maybe the sound gets changed a bit when one isolates the track.

I wonder if maybe Ged flubbed the note a little bit and they added that to fill it out, figuring no one would ever hear it?

its not bad. the intro is pretty great. Edited by thegirlintherushshirt

I wonder if maybe Ged flubbed the note a little bit and they added that to fill it out, figuring no one would ever hear it?

I don't know - it happens four times in a row, same three notes. I haven't actually listened to the full song to hear if I can even detect it.

Just listened to the song - there are bass pedal notes there - it must be just a slice of the frequency of those sounds that happened when the bass and drums were isolated from the song. Does anyone know how that's done, by the way? It can't just be messing around with EQ, can it?

Edited by toymaker

I don't know - it happens four times in a row, same three notes. I haven't actually listened to the full song to hear if I can even detect it.

Just listened to the song - there are bass pedal notes there - it must be just a slice of the frequency of those sounds that happened when the bass and drums were isolated from the song. Does anyone know how that's done, by the way? It can't just be messing around with EQ, can it?

I would imagine it's from the master tapes. Most of these things are from Guitar Hero.

At first it kind of sounds like just a really distorted low floppy bass string, but then you hear the synth added in. It's possible it could be an octave pedal, but it sounds more like a keyboard synth.

Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 1

Well I just got through listening to Signals and I have to agree that Digital Man is great, this whole album has grown on me over the last year. I have always loved Subdivisions and New World Man (soo much like the Police) but it wasn't until I listened to Snakes Live that I realized what a good song DM is. I would change my vote to love it! :dweez:
  • Like 3

Well I just got through listening to Signals and I have to agree that Digital Man is great, this whole album has grown on me over the last year. I have always loved Subdivisions and New World Man (soo much like the Police) but it wasn't until I listened to Snakes Live that I realized what a good song DM is. I would change my vote to love it! :dweez:

You can change your vote, if you haven't. Just delete it and vote again.

I also love Snakes and Arrows Live! That was the first album that I picked up (in 2011 or so) to get back into Rush, after their being off my radar for nearly fifteen years. (I hadn't even heard the Snakes and Arrows album at tat point).

I love Digital Man's appearance so early in that set. And it's a great version!

• Like 1

8 huh? Come on who are you? I'll find out you know, it's only a matter of time.

:P

• Like 1

My 3rd favorite tune off Signals....a classic. Absolute rip roaring jam fest.
  • Like 1

Signals is a great album. And you are another one here that has said when you listen to Rush do a song live, it changes everything. It must be an unique experience. :)

• Like 1

Signals is a great album. And you are another one here that has said when you listen to Rush do a song live, it changes everything. It must be an unique experience. :)

Absolutely.

When I went to the Snakes & Arrows show at the MGM in Vegas the first five songs were:

Limelight

Digital Man

Entre Nous

Mission

Freewill

I had not looked at the setlist and was just floored. When Digital Man started I looked down at Sunny and she was just looking up at me with this huge smile, she had looked at the setlist and wanted to see my reaction. They finished those 5 songs and I said to her "Well that was worth the price of the tickets, I'm good to go.". If the power had gone out or the show stopped for some reason right then it wouldn't have bothered me at all.

• Like 2

Absolutely.

When I went to the Snakes & Arrows show at the MGM in Vegas the first five songs were:

Limelight

Digital Man

Entre Nous

Mission

Freewill

I had not looked at the setlist and was just floored. When Digital Man started I looked down at Sunny and she was just looking up at me with this huge smile, she had looked at the setlist and wanted to see my reaction. They finished those 5 songs and I said to her "Well that was worth the price of the tickets, I'm good to go.". If the power had gone out or the show stopped for some reason right then it wouldn't have bothered me at all.

Same here. I had not looked and my wife watched me as I went banna's after each and every song...then when Circumstances came up I nearly wept with joy. That first set was brilliant.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 2

I can't find disk one to Snakes and Arrows so I can watch them do this song. Maybe my husband hid it on me.

I can find you a good divorce lawyer if you need one. :P

"Your honor, he hid my Snakes and Arrows Live disc from me… need I say more?" :laughing guy:

Edited by Empty Mindless Spectre
  • Like 1

Kickass tune. Even better on Snakes Live.

I disagree. I think the studio version is much better. I thought the same about Analog Kid on the CA tour. In both cases I was ecstatic that they they played each song, but they seemed out of sync with each other or something.

• Like 1

I also love Snakes and Arrows Live! That was the first album that I picked up (in 2011 or so) to get back into Rush, after their being off my radar for nearly fifteen years. (I hadn't even heard the Snakes and Arrows album at tat point).

Ok, I changed my vote :D :geddy:

• Like 2

Ok, I changed my vote :D :geddy:

Excellent!

Lorraine will be very proud of you, too. :)

• Like 1