Digital Man

Lorraine

124 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the song?

• Love it!
    • Wouldn't say I love it, but I do like it.
    • Dislike it.
    • Hate the song.

Per this, Digital Man was the beginning of the end of Terry brown with Rush.

http://ultimateclass...album-turns-30/

The article was very good:

"Longtime producer Terry Brown was so disgusted with the band’s direction on the funky ‘Digital Man‘ that he initially refused to record the track (and those arguments resulted in an end of their collaborative partnership). "

I can't imagine, if the above is true, what it would be like being faced with a producer who disliked something I wrote so much he wouldn't want to record.

Especially, Terry Brown, Rush's de facto fourth member and the person responsible for making Rush the Rush we love. Idiot Rush members... :rage:

"Longtime producer Terry Brown was so disgusted with the band’s direction on the funky ‘Digital Man‘ that he initially refused to record the track (and those arguments resulted in an end of their collaborative partnership). "

I can't imagine, if the above is true, what it would be like being faced with a producer who disliked something I wrote so much he wouldn't want to record.

Especially, Terry Brown, Rush's de facto fourth member and the person responsible for making Rush the Rush we love. Idiot Rush members... :rage:

Yes, but it sounds to me like he was quite the controller and maybe thought he owned them by that point in time.

"Longtime producer Terry Brown was so disgusted with the band’s direction on the funky ‘Digital Man‘ that he initially refused to record the track (and those arguments resulted in an end of their collaborative partnership).

So forget my fantasy of Broon coming back to produce the band's last album?

"Longtime producer Terry Brown was so disgusted with the band’s direction on the funky ‘Digital Man‘ that he initially refused to record the track (and those arguments resulted in an end of their collaborative partnership).

So forget my fantasy of Broon coming back to produce the band's last album?

Mine too if this is true. Like I think I already said, this is the first time i ever read this about him. Certainly I never read Alex, Geddy or Neil say this about him. But I think it may have been alluded to in the book I have. I'd have to go back and read it over.

Considerably worse than any song they recorded from 1977-1981 and one of two skips on Signals.

Never mind this. Why weren't you there defending your album when Geddy had the audacity to rank it so low?

Geddy posts here?

Geddy ranked the first nine Rush albums on a radio show Saturday night. Fly By Night did quite poorly. :boo hiss:

Aren't you the Fly By Night Ambassador? ;)

Yeah, but no one was trashing it here so there was no one to defend it from.

You had to defend the album from Geddy!! :o The man doesn't even know what's good in his own music. ;) You should have been waiting by the Stage Door that night to catch him as he was leaving to point out the error of his ways. :cool: Just joking. ;)

But if he's not here then doing it here would be a waste of time.

And while he's not Neil, I'm sure he has his own protection against stalker fans.

Terry Brown went on to produce Cutting Crew, a band that understood keyboards better than the ungrateful members of Rush.

I can't tell if you are serious or not? Are you saying they should have sacrificed the song rather than the producer who made those albums all that they were and still are?

I can't imagine, if the above is true, what it would be like being faced with a producer who disliked something I wrote so much he wouldn't want to record it.

According to what he's said in interviews, it was more the keyboards that turned him off rather than anything else. He said it was the deviating from the guitar/bass/drums format was the clincher. I'm with him on that.

Considerably worse than any song they recorded from 1977-1981 and one of two skips on Signals.

Never mind this. Why weren't you there defending your album when Geddy had the audacity to rank it so low?

Geddy posts here?

Geddy ranked the first nine Rush albums on a radio show Saturday night. Fly By Night did quite poorly. :boo hiss:

You had to defend the album from Geddy!! :o The man doesn't even know what's good in his own music. ;) You should have been waiting by the Stage Door that night to catch him as he was leaving to point out the error of his ways. :cool: Just joking. ;)

And while he's not Neil, I'm sure he has his own protection against stalker fans.

:o Stalker fan??? You're no stalker fan. You are an Ambassador. He should roll out the red velvet carpet to receive you.

Terry Brown went on to produce Cutting Crew, a band that understood keyboards better than the ungrateful members of Rush.

I can't tell if you are serious or not? Are you saying they should have sacrificed the song rather than the producer who made those albums all that they were and still are?

I'm being 100% sarcastic.

• Like 2

I can't imagine, if the above is true, what it would be like being faced with a producer who disliked something I wrote so much he wouldn't want to record it.

According to what he's said in interviews, it was more the keyboards that turned him off rather than anything else. He said it was the deviating from the guitar/bass/drums format was the clincher. I'm with him on that.

If I were Terry Brown, at this point in time, I'd feel foolish admitting that the reason why I got fired was because I initially refused to record what turned out to be one of their best songs.

• Like 1

I'm being 100% sarcastic.

Thank you.

Geddy posts here?

:o Stalker fan??? You're no stalker fan. You are an Ambassador. He should roll out the red velvet carpet to receive you.

He should...but would he? Especially when I'd kick his ass in fantasy baseball...

• Like 1

Geddy posts here?

He should...but would he? Especially when I'd kick his ass in fantasy baseball...

You are right. What does he know anyway? The man can't even rank his own albums correctly. :wacko:

Geddy posts here?

You are right. What does he know anyway? The man can't even rank his own albums correctly. :wacko:

Or draft a pitching staff!

Geddy posts here?

Except for FBN (too low) and the debut (should have been 8th) I think he did pretty well.

• Like 1

Geddy posts here?

Or draft a pitching staff!

He's been known to say nice things about DiceK!

And RUSH went on to work with Peter Collins, who was best known for his work with AIR SUPPLY previously.

go figger!

And RUSH went on to work with Peter Collins, who was best known for his work with AIR SUPPLY previously.

go figger!

No kidding. I knew Peter Collins honed his edginess somewhere.

• Like 1

go figger!

Henny Youngman, ladies and gentlemen!

:P

• Like 1

go figger!

Henny Youngman, ladies and gentlemen!

:P

I just looked it up on wikipedia and, apparently, Bob Ezrin has a producing credit on the same Air Supply album as Peter Collins. I have to give it a spin! Maybe it's some kind of soft rock concept album! Air Supply ROCKS.

If I were Terry Brown, at this point in time, I'd feel foolish admitting that the reason why I got fired was because I initially refused to record what turned out to be one of their best songs.

I don't agree with that. I think Terry was plenty happy to not have Hold your fire or presto on his watch. After A Show of Hands, Alex was quoted that they were considering hanging it up since they lost direction. I think it was around this time that ray danniels was pursuing van hager heavily and telling them that rush was washed up. the middle to late 80s was a not a kind period and it's after Broon left.

I don't agree with that. I think Terry was plenty happy to not have Hold your fire or presto on his watch. After A Show of Hands, Alex was quoted that they were considering hanging it up since they lost direction. I think it was around this time that ray danniels was pursuing van hager heavily and telling them that rush was washed up. the middle to late 80s was a not a kind period and it's after Broon left.

I read that they were considering never touring again after A Show of Hands.

The Ray Danniels/Van Halen thing took place in the nineties. And he did say that they were washed up, among other things.

I have grown to love and appreciate Power Windows and Hold Your Fire. And apparently, so has Rush, take a look at the Clockwork Angels set list.