What are you reading?

Jack Aubrey

"The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test" - Tom Wolfe

I'm about 130 pages in and I think I have a pretty good idea what the next 260 pages will offer. ;)

It's interesting as it's one of the few non-fiction novels, but certainly nowhere near the brilliance of "In Cold Blood".

Would the original "On the Road" be a non-fiction novel? Wouldn't it be one even with the names being changed? Hmmm...

web-DrugHead-fixed.jpg?format=1500w

• Like 1

n185459.jpg

I bought this as a kid thinking that it was a sci-fi book.

Nope.

Protagonist is a kid with a "speech defect" who begins to disappear into a dissociative state due to being overwhelmed by his parents divorce and subsequent move to NYC; things not being helped by a cruel teacher and self-absorbed mother.

Most likely written for young people, this long-out-of-print book is, as the cover states, "an unusual and disturbing novel". It's a little dated but well-written, and as an adult reader I am enjoying this immensely, despite some very sad scenes.

The prose is simple and spare and does not draw attention to itself, and makes me want to throw "Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test" into a fire/hole/recycling bin. :yes: :madra:

• Like 1

I just finished reading The Iliad, so I'm starting on The Odyssey. I'm reading Ficciones (in Spanish) by Jorge Luis Borges as well.

¿Con El jardín de senderos que se bifurcan?

I'm reading something that was written by my ex. He published half a dozen novels. All my early writings were either about him or influenced by him. He made writing seem cool because he didn't look like a writer. He looked like a rock star.

Going through these right now...:)

http://mec.imgix.net/medias/sys_master/high-res/high-res/8815703588894/5050112-NOC02.jpg?w=500&h=500&auto=format&q=40&fit=fill&bg=FFF

http://dynamic.indigoimages.ca/books/1741798450.jpg?altimages=true&scaleup=true&maxheight=515&width=380&quality=85&sale=23&lang=en

Buy them in either country from a street seller for $2. You likely already know they're pirated copies but if you're ok with that....

• Like 1