Anyone here remember the very first time you heard Natural Science? What did you think?

Lorraine

Just wondering. :)

It's an incredible song.

:popcorn:

The first time I probably listened to it on speakers. But the first time I listened to it on headphones freaked me out; it was like the water in the opening part was running into my ears.

• Like 1

I heard the live version from DS ages before picking up PeW, and thought it was a smash. Like them both but still prefer the DS version. Never saw them play it live, unfortunately.

I could easily see a hardcore acoustic version of the song, àla Michael Hedges (RIP).

• Like 1

I remember thinking "this would be so much better if it was written about a gallant knight and his adventures."

Seriously though while I loved the song on PeW (a classic to end a decade), I echo Lorraine's comment, the Rush in Rio live version is what sent it into the stratosphere for me.

• Like 2

Can't exactly remember the first time, but I fell in love with the song in the early eighties (vinyl, of course). About a decade later I found a bootleg CD called "La Villa Strangiato".

From then on, this version ruled my world for many long years...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVNpK0N6RXQ

Edited by greyfriar
  • Like 2

Remember it well.Just came from work ,cracked a beer,was getting changed in my room,had the radio on this featured album tracks programme and what was playing I was to learn was Rush,Natural Science.Now being a dyed in the wool Sabbath,Zep,Hendrix,etc fan this was new and exciting.I went out to my flat mate who had a huge and varied vinyl collection and asked had he heard of Rush and he pulled out Hemispheres.Of course Natural Science wasn’t on it but I was hooked from that day on sometime in 1980.Incidently the announcer said that was all bit far out for me,wonder what there on?lol

Can't exactly remember the first time, but I fell in love with the song in the early eighties (vinyl, of course). About a decade later I found a bootleg CD called "La Villa Strangiato".

Absolutely. I got in on a bootleg vinyl (only had 4 songs. Not sure if it even had a name) in the late 80s. That Natural Science has always been the benchmark.

Don't remember the first time hearing the song. It obviously wasn't on the radio so it must have been the first time after buying PeW on cassette around '86 when I became a fan.

• Like 2

I first heard it on the PW tour (I hadn’t bought the album yet at that time), and NS was the only PW song that I can remember liking at the time.
  • Like 1

Same as for the whole album in general, like these guys are on another planet

Permanent Waves is perfect in every way, every note every lyric to the artwork and general graphics. A better album has not and could not be made by themselves or anyone else. Ever.

• Like 3

I remember when I first heard it, as it was only last year when I finally understood Rush in all their glory. And my feeling was that it is the most complete song I have ever heard - musically it is sublime, lyrically I really relate to it, it has high drama and total calm... it has everything and I adore it. I`ve said it before, but I cannot think of another band, or indeed another three humans in the history of this planet, that could make the different elements of this amazing piece fit together so perfectly and powerfully. I wish it was an hour long. It never gets less breathtaking.
  • Like 1

I remember thinking "this would be so much better if it was written about a gallant knight and his adventures."

Seriously though while I loved the song on PeW (a classic to end a decade), I echo Lorraine's comment, the Rush in Rio live version is what sent it into the stratosphere for me.

I do so agree with you about it being a classic to end a decade! :yes: :cool:

Same as for the whole album in general, like these guys are on another planet

Permanent Waves is perfect in every way, every note every lyric to the artwork and general graphics. A better album has not and could not be made by themselves or anyone else. Ever.

Agreed.

• Like 1

I remember wishing Neil still played his Slingerland's. His new Tama's sounded too "metallic" to me. Always loved the tune though

My first copy of this record - bought the same month that it was released, actually had the hole drilled off-center, so the last minute of the tune always had this kinda weird warped sound on my cheapo Candle record player

• Like 1

Those were the days, and St Louis '80 is one of THE BEST boots

• Like 1

I vaguely remember hearing it on the radio when it came out, but the first time it hit me like a ton of bricks was when I bought Rush In Rio.

To this day, that version of the song is my favorite.

Not certain if I have ever heard it on radio. Must confess I was never impressed much by the song. It was filler material for me. Then I saw them play it live on the Vapor Trails Tour at SPAC (the Saratoga Performing Arts Center). I was standing on the lawn for he show. The same tour Rush in Rio was recorded on.

O. My. God. Like you said, hit like a ton of bricks. Just amazing. I had seen Rush live several time before but that show is the show that really turned me into a Rush fan. I liked them before it, they ware a favorite band, but that show made them my favorite band. One song after another, to be honest, blew me away. But that show gave me an entirely new appreciation for Natural Science. Made me realize it was a great song.

Interestingly, the same exact thing happened on the R30 tour when I saw them play Between the Wheels (also at SPAC). Another song I had totally considered to be filler material. O. My. God. What a song it is. Love it now.

• Like 1

No.

How about the second time? :popcorn:

It was probably when I was in college. I had the cassette, but never really listened to it in high school. I liked the live versions better on ESL. My roommate my 2nd half of sophomore year had a CD player, which was the first time I'd seen one, and he had the cd. Years later I transcribed the bassline by ear. Still have it, along with about 70 other songs from the catalog.

• Like 1

No.

How about the second time? :popcorn:

It was probably when I was in college. I had the cassette, but never really listened to it in high school. I liked the live versions better on ESL. My roommate my 2nd half of sophomore year had a CD player, which was the first time I'd seen one, and he had the cd. Years later I transcribed the bassline by ear. Still have it, along with about 70 other songs from the catalog.

What version of ESL do you have that contains Natural Science? Or are you referring to preferring to live Rush over studio Rush?