• Members
  • 1051 posts
  • Interests:Music, climbing, birds

Posted 12 January 2019 - 06:17 PM

View PostRod in Toronto, on 12 January 2019 - 12:19 PM, said:

View Postbluefox4000, on 12 January 2019 - 11:34 AM, said:

View Postytserush, on 12 January 2019 - 11:29 AM, said:

View Postbluefox4000, on 11 January 2019 - 02:06 PM, said:

I totally forgot this record was a thing. lol.

much more excited  for the new Neal Morse Band record at the moment.

Mick

Haven't heard a note of either one, but I've got tickets for both in the next few months. Going to enjoy both of these when they show up in my mailbox.  There are  some bands that you just automatically trust to deliver the goods and those are two bands that do it for me.

it's a shame he doesn't have more fans here.  neal morse is AMAZING and hardly ever puts out a bad album.

sure he has a formula but it's awesome......Similitude of A Dream is......aside from the White Album.  My fav Double album by anyone EVER.  that's how I feel you do a concept record.  man it KILLS, lol

Mick

I have yet to publish the interview I did with Neal just before Christmas. If you liked Similitude, you'll LOVE The Great Adventure!

The song they released initially didn't work for me at any level.  I'll probably need to circle back once the album is out and I can preview, not risking a purchase otherwise.

Similitude was one of my favorite from (2017?).

Edited by stoopid, 12 January 2019 - 06:18 PM.

Sponsored Post

#182 Rod in Toronto

Rod in Toronto

Crushed in Rio

• Members *
  • 9683 posts
  • Interests:Running, music, movies, travelling, reading, food.

Posted 12 January 2019 - 11:34 PM

Petrucci will be in the new Saw movie:

https://www.nsfnews....ipt-leaked.html

#183 ytserush

ytserush

The Professor

• Members *
  • 4546 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 08:55 PM

Mick

Haven't heard a note of either one, but I've got tickets for both in the next few months. Going to enjoy both of these when they show up in my mailbox.  There are  some bands that you just automatically trust to deliver the goods and those are two bands that do it for me.

it's a shame he doesn't have more fans here.  neal morse is AMAZING and hardly ever puts out a bad album.

sure he has a formula but it's awesome......Similitude of A Dream is......aside from the White Album.  My fav Double album by anyone EVER.  that's how I feel you do a concept record.  man it KILLS, lol

Mick

As long as you like him that's all that counts. Sometimes he's a bit overbearing lyrically for me, but he's never really disappointed me musically much. He usually goes for the same tools in his toolbox, but at least they're good ones.

I'm glad he's been touring more lately. He's never really toured much over the years, but that's where the money is and he's been slowly growing his fan base.

#184 ytserush

ytserush

The Professor

• Members *
  • 4546 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 08:57 PM

View Poststoopid, on 12 January 2019 - 06:17 PM, said:

View PostRod in Toronto, on 12 January 2019 - 12:19 PM, said:

Mick

Mick

I have yet to publish the interview I did with Neal just before Christmas. If you liked Similitude, you'll LOVE The Great Adventure!

The song they released initially didn't work for me at any level.  I'll probably need to circle back once the album is out and I can preview, not risking a purchase otherwise.

Similitude was one of my favorite from (2017?).

It's even better live.

#185 Rod in Toronto

Rod in Toronto

Crushed in Rio

• Members *
  • 9683 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 05:57 AM

I got the album yesterday, through the editor of the website I write for. I like it!!!

#186 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 33356 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 09:39 PM

View PostRod in Toronto, on 06 February 2019 - 05:57 AM, said:

I got the album yesterday, through the editor of the website I write for. I like it!!!

Please let me know when they play "Awake" all the way through live.

#187 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

Cupcake Warrior

• Members
  • 36229 posts
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Paradise Lost
    Nightwish
    HIM
    The Gathering
    Within Temptation
    The Juliana Theory
    Machine Head
    Trivium
    Sonata Arctica
    Jimmy Eat World
    Alter Bridge
    Mekong Delta

Posted 07 February 2019 - 02:03 AM

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 06 February 2019 - 09:39 PM, said:

They aren't one of your bands that disregard themselves by acting like their own tribute band. Move on. Next.

#188 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 6018 posts
  • Interests:Music, architecture, and childhood hobbies.

Posted 07 February 2019 - 07:07 AM

View PostSegue Myles, on 07 February 2019 - 02:03 AM, said:

They aren't one of your bands that disregard themselves by acting like their own tribute band. Move on. Next.

Didn’t they play all of Images And Words live just recently though?

#189 Rod in Toronto

Rod in Toronto

Crushed in Rio

• Members *
  • 9683 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 07:31 AM

I think for you, with the new album will feel more like a "struggle to stay Awake". But to each his own. It's an enjoyable listen, but nothing mind blowing. I would describe is as "track 4". You know, when the initial impact is made with the first 2 or 3 songs, and you add another one just to get things going?

#190 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

The Oracle

• Members
  • 11707 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 08:11 AM

They did all of Images and Words on the last tour and they are supposed to be playing all of Scenes From A Memory this tour. So, they're definitely treading into tribute band territory now.

#191 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

Cupcake Warrior

• Members
  • 36229 posts
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Paradise Lost
    Nightwish
    HIM
    The Gathering
    Within Temptation
    The Juliana Theory
    Machine Head
    Trivium
    Sonata Arctica
    Jimmy Eat World
    Alter Bridge
    Mekong Delta

Posted 07 February 2019 - 09:51 AM

View PostJ2112YYZ, on 07 February 2019 - 08:11 AM, said:

They did all of Images and Words on the last tour and they are supposed to be playing all of Scenes From A Memory this tour. So, they're definitely treading into tribute band territory now.

Oh...that's actually really sad...

#192 stoopid

stoopid

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1051 posts
  • Interests:Music, climbing, birds

Posted 07 February 2019 - 10:10 AM

Yup, Awake is still my favorite followed closely by Scenes.  Their last few albums ... it's like they're a different band playing Dream Theater-esque licks, but with none of the DT identity.  I agree - trending quickly toward tribute/nostalgic band status.  We don't have to look far (*Rush* *cough* *last 4 tours* *King Crimson* *cough*) to find examples of this phenomena.

#193 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

The Oracle

• Members
  • 11707 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 03:41 PM

View PostSegue Myles, on 07 February 2019 - 09:51 AM, said:

Not sure if it's sad. With Images it was for the 25 anniversary and Scenes turns 20 this year. So they do have reasoning behind it. Also, on the tour for the self titled album, they played the second half of Awake (Mirror thru Space Dye Vest) all the way through. Portnoy used to do the setlists and would come up with different songs every show. He would do some odd stuff like playing a full album or a set of songs from an album in the same order. But I'm not sure if he'd be down for a full on nostalgia trip of playing the same album every night.

#194 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 33356 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 01:47 AM

View PostRod in Toronto, on 07 February 2019 - 07:31 AM, said:

I think for you, with the new album will feel more like a "struggle to stay Awake". But to each his own. It's an enjoyable listen, but nothing mind blowing. I would describe is as "track 4". You know, when the initial impact is made with the first 2 or 3 songs, and you add another one just to get things going?

Hahaha!  Good one Rod!  Yep!  I saw the "Images & Words" Tour Revisited.  There is no do doubt DT will always be more than a cover band a few brilliant albums in their catalog.

DT has covered everything and everyone.

Ridiculous.

I still have all of their official bootleg cds.  They did soooooo many cover albums.  Not just songs.  WEAK!

#195 bathory

bathory

Book Würm

• Members *
  • 11087 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 02:11 AM

View Poststoopid, on 07 February 2019 - 10:10 AM, said:

Yup, Awake is still my favorite followed closely by Scenes.  Their last few albums ... it's like they're a different band playing Dream Theater-esque licks, but with none of the DT identity.  I agree - trending quickly toward tribute/nostalgic band status.  We don't have to look far (*Rush* *cough* *last 4 tours* *King Crimson* *cough*) to find examples of this phenomena.

didn't rush play like, nine CA songs in a row on that tour?

#196 ytserush

ytserush

The Professor

• Members *
  • 4546 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 06:18 PM

View PostJ2112YYZ, on 07 February 2019 - 03:41 PM, said:

View PostSegue Myles, on 07 February 2019 - 09:51 AM, said:

Not sure if it's sad. With Images it was for the 25 anniversary and Scenes turns 20 this year. So they do have reasoning behind it. Also, on the tour for the self titled album, they played the second half of Awake (Mirror thru Space Dye Vest) all the way through. Portnoy used to do the setlists and would come up with different songs every show. He would do some odd stuff like playing a full album or a set of songs from an album in the same order. But I'm not sure if he'd be down for a full on nostalgia trip of playing the same album every night.

The difference is there was no new music in the set when they played Images And Words the last time. That won't be the case here.

Not thrilled that they are doing all of Scenes, but it will be interesting at least because it will be Mangini's first time doing it.

#197 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

The Seeker

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 12:27 AM

I like the new DT song.

However the Astonishing blatantly ripped off Clockwork Angels. I couldn’t get through the album. I kept thinking “Renaissance Fair” the entire time.

You know what it is? They’ve never earned the right to be so bombastic. No bar band days, no early radio singles. They were just self indulgent from day one - start on that tac you have to one up all the madness each record. Impossible. Rush had a much more gradual curve - and also had a knack for original catchy songwriting.

#198 KenJennings

KenJennings

Mr. Establishment

• Members *
  • 21011 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 12:31 AM

View Postchemistry1973, on 09 February 2019 - 12:27 AM, said:

I like the new DT song.

However the Astonishing blatantly ripped off Clockwork Angels. I couldn’t get through the album. I kept thinking “Renaissance Fair” the entire time.

You know what it is? They’ve never earned the right to be so bombastic. No bar band days, no early radio singles. They were just self indulgent from day one - start on that tac you have to one up all the madness each record. Impossible. Rush had a much more gradual curve - and also had a knack for original catchy songwriting.

Wait a minute? Why do they have to earn the right? They're expressing their art, and have achieved a fair level of success in doing so. Who are you to say "they haven't earned" anything? They're where they are on hard work, determination and their own direction. If you don't like it, take your business elsewhere.

#199 greyfriar

greyfriar

River Rhine BurgerMeister

• Members
  • 8926 posts
  • Interests:Music
    Munros in Scottish Highland
    Constructing weird grammar phrases in TRF posts
    It is what it is - and forever!

Posted 09 February 2019 - 12:35 AM

You know what it is?... No bar band days...
Not true! They toured twice a year through German clubs in the early to mid-nineties.

#200 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

The Seeker

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 12:59 AM

View PostKenJennings, on 09 February 2019 - 12:31 AM, said:

I like the new DT song.

Wait a minute? Why do they have to earn the right? They're expressing their art, and have achieved a fair level of success in doing so. Who are you to say "they haven't earned" anything? They're where they are on hard work, determination and their own direction. If you don't like it, take your business elsewhere.

Just my personal take - they’ve never written a solid pop song so the rest of their material seems very bland, despite the effort.

Pink Floyd were seriously prog, so were Yes. They could show a range by being experimental while also writing pop.

Of course they have material I enjoy, but they’ll never grow bigger than they were 15 years ago. They don’t have the song-craft. They’re too self indulgent.

Steven Wilson realized this to a degree.

Is DT moving forward or backwards - it’s difficult to tell.

Edited by chemistry1973, 09 February 2019 - 12:59 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users