New Dream Theater album sample, tour dates 2019

Rod in Toronto

I like the new DT song.

However the Astonishing blatantly ripped off Clockwork Angels. I couldn’t get through the album. I kept thinking “Renaissance Fair” the entire time.

You know what it is? They’ve never earned the right to be so bombastic. No bar band days, no early radio singles. They were just self indulgent from day one - start on that tac you have to one up all the madness each record. Impossible. Rush had a much more gradual curve - and also had a knack for original catchy songwriting.

How exactly do you earn the right to be bombastic with your music? You've obviously never heard anything from the symphonic or power metal genres. Those bands are bombastic from the start. They don't have to earn that, it's what they are. I don't like The Astonishing, but Dream Theater as musicians had every right to compose whatever kind of music they saw fit. There is no earning the right to have a certain sound in music. Songwriters will present their music with whatever sound they feel is best.

Also, the Astonishing ripped off 2112 way more than Clockwork Angels.

• Like 2

I like the new DT song.

However the Astonishing blatantly ripped off Clockwork Angels. I couldn’t get through the album. I kept thinking “Renaissance Fair” the entire time.

You know what it is? They’ve never earned the right to be so bombastic. No bar band days, no early radio singles. They were just self indulgent from day one - start on that tac you have to one up all the madness each record. Impossible. Rush had a much more gradual curve - and also had a knack for original catchy songwriting.

How exactly do you earn the right to be bombastic with your music? You've obviously never heard anything from the symphonic or power metal genres. Those bands are bombastic from the start. They don't have to earn that, it's what they are. I don't like The Astonishing, but Dream Theater as musicians had every right to compose whatever kind of music they saw fit. There is no earning the right to have a certain sound in music. Songwriters will present their music with whatever sound they feel is best.

Yikes...Nightwish went from singing around a campfire to opera metal titans in like five minutes....

I like the new DT song.

Yikes...Nightwish went from singing around a campfire to opera metal titans in like five minutes....

I prefer "Five Minutes Of Funk"

Love

WHODINI

LOL!

You know what it is?... No bar band days...

Not true! They toured twice a year through German clubs in the early to mid-nineties.

They also had a debut album that mostly fell on deaf ears. Images and Words is their second release, and at the start of that tour they were playing bars. By mid tour "Pull Me Under" took off, and they were off and running. Good for them, they didn't have to wallow in obscurity for an eternity. They obviously deserve the career they've had.

• Like 3

Not true! They toured twice a year through German clubs in the early to mid-nineties.

They also had a debut album that mostly fell on deaf ears. Images and Words is their second release, and at the start of that tour they were playing bars. By mid tour "Pull Me Under" took off, and they were off and running. Good for them, they didn't have to wallow in obscurity for an eternity. They obviously deserve the career they've had.

Of course. They deserve it. No slight on people who like their music. I like some of their music.

My criticism is they don’t really go outside the box. They work really hard to sound like DT with every record. Rush sounds like Rush by attempting different approaches. It makes a band more interesting that way.

I started liking them after Portnoy left partly because I felt there was finally something that made them interesting.

My criticism is they don’t really go outside the box. They work really hard to sound like DT with every record. Rush sounds like Rush by attempting different approaches. It makes a band more interesting that way.

I started liking them after Portnoy left partly because I felt there was finally something that made them interesting.

I'd say they started falling into this trap around the time MP departed, their last album with him (Black Clouds) had a lot of repeating elements from their prior albums. I wouldn't say their material repeats album to album, but there are moods they come back to every few albums ('heavier' periods for the band interspersed with more proggy periods). The only true oddballs in their catalogs are a Change of Seasons (the live performance half), and Falling Into Infinity (which had IMO a healthier dose of hard rock v prog metal on the prior releases). But take the leap from Falling Into Infinity to Scenes as evidence of them being risk takers. The bands was on the cusp of being torn apart and they pulled a 2112 and just did what they wanted, and it paid off. Then Train of Thought after Scenes/Six Degrees another change in moving toward an even darker, heavier mood. It repeats again from Octavarium to Systematic Chaos.

• Like 1

I'd say they started falling into this trap around the time MP departed, their last album with him (Black Clouds) had a lot of repeating elements from their prior albums. I wouldn't say their material repeats album to album, but there are moods they come back to every few albums ('heavier' periods for the band interspersed with more proggy periods). The only true oddballs in their catalogs are a Change of Seasons (the live performance half), and Falling Into Infinity (which had IMO a healthier dose of hard rock v prog metal on the prior releases). But take the leap from Falling Into Infinity to Scenes as evidence of them being risk takers. The bands was on the cusp of being torn apart and they pulled a 2112 and just did what they wanted, and it paid off. Then Train of Thought after Scenes/Six Degrees another change in moving toward an even darker, heavier mood. It repeats again from Octavarium to Systematic Chaos.

"So what" do you think about "Train Of Thought" then?

I hated it. Metallica rip off record. Get it? Now "So What" covered by Metallica kicks ass.

Everything this band does is clone and copy past prog and metal.

This band is text book smart. They have no street smarts at all hence they could never find their own sound and vibe. People rip on Geddy's voice? James LaBrie Cheese should retire.

Edited by RUSHHEAD666
  • Like 1

I like the new DT song.

Wait a minute? Why do they have to earn the right? They're expressing their art, and have achieved a fair level of success in doing so. Who are you to say "they haven't earned" anything? They're where they are on hard work, determination and their own direction. If you don't like it, take your business elsewhere.

Just my personal take - they’ve never written a solid pop song so the rest of their material seems very bland, despite the effort.

Pink Floyd were seriously prog, so were Yes. They could show a range by being experimental while also writing pop.

Of course they have material I enjoy, but they’ll never grow bigger than they were 15 years ago. They don’t have the song-craft. They’re too self indulgent.

Steven Wilson realized this to a degree.

Is DT moving forward or backwards - it’s difficult to tell.

Solid Pop Songs?

Another Day, Surrounded, Innocence Faded, The Silent Man, Hollow Years, The Spirit Carries On, Solitary Shell, The Answer Lies Within, These Walls, I Walk Beside You, Wither, This Is The Life, The Looking Glass....much of The Astonishing. All things being equal (which obviously they aren't) that stuff is radio fodder back when that stuff mattered (to the industry.)

• Like 1

That first album was one of the best they've ever recorded. I was fortune enough to discover it a few months after it came out and was unbelievably lucky to catch them open for Marillion with Charlie.

• Like 2

That first album was one of the best they've ever recorded. I was fortune enough to discover it a few months after it came out and was unbelievably lucky to catch them open for Marillion with Charlie.

Holy shite!!! Fukk!!! You saw them with Charlie. Now that's something else!

The first album is by far the best for me. I had it the day it came out and I still love it to this day.

I saw them a few times on the Images tour and it wasn't the same anymore...

La Brie... ruined it for me...

• Like 1

"So what" do you think about "Train Of Thought" then?

I hated it. Metallica rip off record.

I like ToT. Not because it reinvented metal, it's just their interpretation of it. There's a lot of bands, songs, and albums since 1984 that you can say 'sound like Metallica'. They defined modern metal. DT also cite Metallica (and Rush) as one of their biggest influences. It's not a coincidence they occasionally sound like them.

Holy shite!!! Fukk!!! You saw them with Charlie. Now that's something else!

The first album is by far the best for me. I had it the day it came out and I still love it to this day.

I saw them a few times on the Images tour and it wasn't the same anymore...

La Brie... ruined it for me...

11/14/89 at The Ritz in New York. Fortunately, someone recorded it. I stumbled on Images and Words at a record faire that summer. Had No idea James joined the band. Didn't like it at first. Thought some of it sounded too much like Journey!

new album dropped yesterday on the internet. it's f***ing amazing!!! after 4 listens it's so fun. heavy as hell yes!!! It's a must have now!!! band is dialed in. the mix is balls to the wall. drums are punchy. the experience is worth damaging the ears for a few hours at loud volume. i have been listening off and on for two days. First listen was on the fence but i got off the fence and made dinner. your all going to be blown away.
  • Like 2

new album dropped yesterday on the internet. it's f***ing amazing!!! after 4 listens it's so fun. heavy as hell yes!!! It's a must have now!!! band is dialed in. the mix is balls to the wall. drums are punchy. the experience is worth damaging the ears for a few hours at loud volume. i have been listening off and on for two days. First listen was on the fence but i got off the fence and made dinner. your all going to be blown away.

Cool.

Not that impressed with the three songs they've released ahead of the album. But it's probably a case of once you hear the album as a whole the songs turn out much better.

So i caved and played the leak.

first couple listened......it is VERY reminiscent of A Dramatic Turn of Events. I still do not like Untetherthed Angel. and that's kicks it off. so i was like oh boy, lol.

and then came paralyzed. Which i also hated, OH BOY!!!!! lol, then though came Fall into Light and Barstool Warrior. both amazing Tracks. i LOVE these so i breathed a sigh of relief.

Other major highlights for me.

At Wit's End

Out of Reach

Viper King (this track is a nice little Boogie)

i need more spins. but i really enjoyed it on the whole. it just starts off awfully.

but this already will get lots of play from me.

the band is really tight too.

Mick

I am a very critical listener of DT.

So Mick raves about it. I had zero expectations.

It is the best album they have made in YEARS!!!!! Maybe, for me, their best work since Train Of Thought. Not a single song worth skipping, all the singles work great as part of the whole.

They are far from finished.

One listen, I give it a healthy 8/10. It's not perfect, nothing quite matches my favourite DT album (Awake), but it comes so close to being right near the top tier level!

One listen, I am very satisfied. The songwriting is tight, the melodies are grand, as always the playing is second to none and songs such as S2N and At Wit's End and Paralysed rank amongst the best songs thet have ever done.

There we have it. I HATED The Astonishing. This album has really redeemed them for me.

No risks were taken here, and for once that is actually a great thing.

I said it.

GREAT.

After one listen I like it a lot. Although I do think that the album starts off with the worst one two punch they've ever started an album with, it gets much better from Fall Into The Light onward. Dream Theater is definitely guilty of having songs drag and go on a little to long just for the sake of making them long. I don't feel like that with this album. There are a few longer songs but it just sounds to me like the band is getting down to business and not f***in around at all here. They're hitting us heavy and hard and not wasting any time.

This is exactly the follow up they needed after the disaster of the last album.

• Like 2

After one listen I like it a lot. Although I do think that the album starts off with the worst one two punch they've ever started an album with, it gets much better from Fall Into The Light onward. Dream Theater is definitely guilty of having songs drag and go on a little to long just for the sake of making them long. I don't feel like that with this album. There are a few longer songs but it just sounds to me like the band is getting down to business and not f***in around at all here. They're hitting us heavy and hard and not wasting any time.

I bloody loved Paralysed!

It's certainly better than Untheader Angel. What a weak open. This album is a case of the songs getting better as it goes along.

• Like 1

It's certainly better than Untheader Angel. What a weak open. This album is a case of the songs getting better as it goes along.

Strangely enough I played the album again and found that Untethered Angel is a really good song. Whole album is a mixture of just fine to solid gold!

So i caved and played the leak.

first couple listened......it is VERY reminiscent of A Dramatic Turn of Events. I still do not like Untetherthed Angel. and that's kicks it off. so i was like oh boy, lol.

and then came paralyzed. Which i also hated, OH BOY!!!!! lol, then though came Fall into Light and Barstool Warrior. both amazing Tracks. i LOVE these so i breathed a sigh of relief.

Other major highlights for me.

At Wit's End

Out of Reach

Viper King (this track is a nice little Boogie)

i need more spins. but i really enjoyed it on the whole. it just starts off awfully.

but this already will get lots of play from me.

the band is really tight too.

Mick

After multiple posts stating you had no interest in this album, this is a welcome (and ironic) surprise.

I’m waiting for the official release, but I’ve got a good feeling about it, especially after having read some of these comments.

• Like 1

OK Guys i've had ton of plays so far.

this keeps getting better. this album is really good. It's essentually Dramatic turn of Events 2 but i like it more.

REALLY Tight playing and production.

i still think the opening to tracks are the weakest but MAN does it sail after.

i'm buying this.

it's an 8/10 going on 9......could be new album shine but i don't care.

Mick

• Like 3

I really like the first track but LOVE the second...go figure.
  • Like 1

I really like the first track but LOVE the second...go figure.

i'm playing it again.....Paralysed is a little better but nothing i'd call a fav.

firm favs

Fade into the Light

Barstool Warrior

S2N

At Wit's End

Out of Reach

Viper king

Very good

Room 137

Pale Blue Dot

Ok'

Paralyzed.

not good

Untethered Angel

But this is a fab record.

Proves this era is great.

1 mistep......a BAD one but they heard us.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1