New Dream Theater album sample, tour dates 2019

Rod in Toronto

I really like the first track but LOVE the second...go figure.

i'm playing it again.....Paralysed is a little better but nothing i'd call a fav.

firm favs

Fade into the Light

Barstool Warrior

S2N

At Wit's End

Out of Reach

Viper king

Very good

Room 137

Pale Blue Dot

Ok'

Paralyzed.

not good

Untethered Angel

But this is a fab record.

Proves this era is great.

1 mistep......a BAD one but they heard us.

Mick

Yeah this album is straight into my top ten for this band. Right now it could be top five alongside:

Imaged And Words

Awake

Falling Into Infinity

Scenes

Black Clouds

• Like 1

The one song I didn't care much about after several listens is Fall into the Light. I think it sounds way too much like Metallica. Everything else is absolutely solid!!!

"Train Of Thought II?"

Dream Theater is the greatest cover band of all time.

Edited by RUSHHEAD666

Ok. First two songs are definitely the weakest (I love Paralyzed though). Repeat listens I find I agree that thw album starts with the third song. Nice warm up though.

Not metal enough? Yeah, this is definitely a lighter album. More Octavarium level heavy than, say, Scenes. Still strong.

Just want to add that I think the bonus track is stronger than the first two songs. Also cannot seem to find a copy of the album without it on CD, which makes me wonder they why they didn't make it an album track proper, and put it elsewhere on the album as it is not an ideal closong track.

Strange.

Just want to add that I think the bonus track is stronger than the first two songs. Also cannot seem to find a copy of the album without it on CD, which makes me wonder they why they didn't make it an album track proper, and put it elsewhere on the album as it is not an ideal closong track.

Strange.

Agreed that it's not a good closer, and it has NOTHING to do with the rest of the album. Completely different vibe. Good song though, it reminds me of Van Halen's Man on a Mission and Deep Purple as well.

I know hardcore DT fans are gonna bitch (cause it's DT and "I WANT KEVIN MOORE BOOOOOOO!!!!!!!) but i ADORE this album. this is right up theere with the self Titled (which is firm top 5 for me) and maybe just maybe their best since at least six degrees overall. We'll see down the road though.

Mick

• Like 2

Off topic, but I finally (I mean really, what took me so long?!) gave Scenes a proper listen today and...

Wow! The hype was real! So many magical moments so perfectly connected by the intriguing concept, and it really gets emotional! This is why DT were basically the logical conclusion of all prog and metal that came before them...but they're fans of good pop rock songs at heart and that comes out so perfectly in the songs here. The melodies are easily among their best, and most unique in many ways. Ocatvarium and 6DoiT are great and all, but I'm not sure they reach the heights of chordal melodic songwriting found on Scenes. Firm contender for fav DT album...so current ranking of all I've heard:

Awake (I'll still give this the nod while I let Scenes sink in over a few more listens)

Scenes

Images

ADTOE

6DoiT

Octavarium (still a great record, just has some less meaningful moments through the middle).

High hopes for the new record.

• Like 2

Off topic, but I finally (I mean really, what took me so long?!) gave Scenes a proper listen today and...

Wow! The hype was real! So many magical moments so perfectly connected by the intriguing concept, and it really gets emotional! This is why DT were basically the logical conclusion of all prog and metal that came before them...but they're fans of good pop rock songs at heart and that comes out so perfectly in the songs here. The melodies are easily among their best, and most unique in many ways. Ocatvarium and 6DoiT are great and all, but I'm not sure they reach the heights of chordal melodic songwriting found on Scenes. Firm contender for fav DT album...so current ranking of all I've heard:

Awake (I'll still give this the nod while I let Scenes sink in over a few more listens)

Scenes

Images

ADTOE

6DoiT

Octavarium (still a great record, just has some less meaningful moments through the middle).

yea Scenes to me Remains their best. I became a fan around Falling Into Infinity. so Scenes was my 2nd new release. but they've never bettered it. they've come CLOSE but never quite make it, lol

that's a perfectly cut jewel.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

Scenes

Images

ADTOE

6DoiT

yea Scenes to me Remains their best. I became a fan around Falling Into Infinity. so Scenes was my 2nd new release. but they've never bettered it. they've come CLOSE but never quite make it, lol

Mick

It feels like the album that prog rock and metal were always trying to make, but never figured out quite how until then...I mean, it seems to take as many cues from Queen and The Beatles as Rush and Metallica. I guess that's often DT's sound in a nutshell, but it's just the right brew here, and so expertly arranged and produced and written that the composition as a whole is really the defining factor more than any particular song or a general theme.

• Like 2

Scenes

Images

ADTOE

6DoiT

Mick

It feels like the album that prog rock and metal were always trying to make, but never figured out quite how until then...I mean, it seems to take as many cues from Queen and The Beatles as Rush and Metallica. I guess that's often DT's sound in a nutshell, but it's just the right brew here, and so expertly arranged and produced and written that the composition as a whole is really the defining factor more than any particular song or a general theme.

i was talking to Segue about that. his biggest problem with DT is he felt they had no sound of their own. While i get his view. I still say what's wrong with that? they wear those influnences right out there. sure they are not reinvented anything but SO WHAT???!!! lol.

and Scenes is my fav prog/metal album ever for a band with "no identity". they made the genre their bitch with Scenes. at least i think that, lol

Mick

• Like 2

When DT get it right they are untouchable. But you became a fan before Scenes.

I became aware of them before Systematic Chaos. Slightly different...

Up until ToT, I think they were marvellous but its taken me time to get past the shit to appteciate the diamonds. When I finally started to get into them...The Astonishing came out and...oh boy...

But I've been patient

• Like 1

My criticism is they don’t really go outside the box. They work really hard to sound like DT with every record. Rush sounds like Rush by attempting different approaches. It makes a band more interesting that way.

I started liking them after Portnoy left partly because I felt there was finally something that made them interesting.

I'd say they started falling into this trap around the time MP departed, their last album with him (Black Clouds) had a lot of repeating elements from their prior albums. I wouldn't say their material repeats album to album, but there are moods they come back to every few albums ('heavier' periods for the band interspersed with more proggy periods). The only true oddballs in their catalogs are a Change of Seasons (the live performance half), and Falling Into Infinity (which had IMO a healthier dose of hard rock v prog metal on the prior releases). But take the leap from Falling Into Infinity to Scenes as evidence of them being risk takers. The bands was on the cusp of being torn apart and they pulled a 2112 and just did what they wanted, and it paid off. Then Train of Thought after Scenes/Six Degrees another change in moving toward an even darker, heavier mood. It repeats again from Octavarium to Systematic Chaos.

At this point, they're a brand. They've got a core that's locked in and they don't want to seem to mess with that much.

As much as I might not like that big picture, it's a smart move at this point in their career.

Still not having heard the album yet.( It should show up Friday) There are certain elements of their approach that I'm not enthused about, but I'll find out if that means anything to me when I pop it in the CD player and study the booklet.

Scenes

Images

ADTOE

6DoiT

Mick

i was talking to Segue about that. his biggest problem with DT is he felt they had no sound of their own. While i get his view. I still say what's wrong with that? they wear those influnences right out there. sure they are not reinvented anything but SO WHAT???!!! lol.

and Scenes is my fav prog/metal album ever for a band with "no identity". they made the genre their bitch with Scenes. at least i think that, lol

Mick

No identity? Parts of the The Great Adventure sound just like Dream Theater.

• Like 1

Scenes

Images

ADTOE

6DoiT

Mick

Mick

No identity? Parts of the The Great Adventure sound just like Dream Theater.

oh i think they have an identity. And i like this album more then the great Adventure. Which is shocking but there it is, lol

Mick

• Like 1

Another compliment for the album. Its nearly an hour long but feels like it lasts 30 minutes.

Not my usual DT album experience!

Fall Into The Light is a perfect example of DT embracing their roots and maintaining a fresh, modern prog style. It's like Train Of Thought meets their earlier prog-pop style. A bit of Metallica, a dash of Peruvian Skies, a lot of melody. Big fan of Labrie on this record as well.

• Like 2

I'm a huge, long time Dream Theater fan, and I didn't like it at all... It feels like an overreaction to failures of The Astonishing, and actually ends up missing the mark even more. A reactive change from the overly committed, drawn out prog musical; they've cut back into metal territory (which is fine to a degree) rambling through almost competitive instrumentation, while abandoning their trademark symphonic sound. It comes across as too a-melodic and disjointed. There are little snippets of good ideas sandwiched between long bombastic heavy-for-heavy's-sake riffs.

It just wasn't a pleasurable listen.

I absolutely loved the self-titled Dream Theater album; so to see them follow it up with two duds is pretty concerning. Hopefully they can find the balance between these two misses with their next effort.

Edited by KenJennings

I haven't liked any of the songs thus far, but haven't listened to the full album yet. Hoping to be pleasantly surprised by it. Seems like the album might be better after the first initial tracks? Either way, I'm hoping it gets better, because the released songs have been stinkers. Reminds me of the new Queensrÿche singles. Boring, lifeless attempts to consciously reconstruct an older sound.

I haven't liked any of the songs thus far, but haven't listened to the full album yet. Hoping to be pleasantly surprised by it. Seems like the album might be better after the first initial tracks? Either way, I'm hoping it gets better, because the released songs have been stinkers. Reminds me of the new Queensrÿche singles. Boring, lifeless attempts to consciously reconstruct an older sound.

The released songs are the weakest easily

• Like 1