New Dream Theater album sample, tour dates 2019

Rod in Toronto

but yeah keep digging. so many metal fans just stop at queensryche and dream theater

I barely started on either. Seriously I like a bit of DT but I have yet to hear anything that wasn't done better BEFORE!

agreed. I have an awake t-shirt! but listeners do themselves a big disservice not checking out this wide world of music

I really enjoy the run of albums from Awake through to Train Of Thought. Images And Words is just ok to my ears. I don't love the vocals on Awake but I enjoy the songs a lot.

Scenes and Six Degrees are my top two albums from them

cynic is great, truly progressive. half of cynic played on death's human, it's all really similar

Oh really? Amazed I didn't come across that!

but yeah keep digging. so many metal fans just stop at queensryche and dream theater

I barely started on either. Seriously I like a bit of DT but I have yet to hear anything that wasn't done better BEFORE!

agreed. I have an awake t-shirt! but listeners do themselves a big disservice not checking out this wide world of music

I really enjoy the run of albums from Awake through to Train Of Thought. Images And Words is just ok to my ears. I don't love the vocals on Awake but I enjoy the songs a lot.

I'm just a kevin moore freak. I even prefer the 93 version of a change of seasons to the actual 95 release

• Like 1

I'm just a kevin moore freak. I even prefer the 93 version of a change of seasons to the actual 95 release

I found a lot of the DT bootlegged material preferable to the final releases. Falling Into Infinity had a terrific demo album!

cynic is great, truly progressive. half of cynic played on death's human, it's all really similar

yeah basically chuck wanted to go progressive because he thought death metal was getting stale, hired paul and sean from fellow floridians cynic because they were one of the only bands doing proggier shit

I found a lot of the DT bootlegged material preferable to the final releases. Falling Into Infinity had a terrific demo album!

I thought the same thing.

yeah basically chuck wanted to go progressive because he thought death metal was getting stale, hired paul and sean from fellow floridians cynic because they were one of the only bands doing proggier shit

Well you learn something new!

Basically discovering that all the most hyped thrash bands are in some ways the most basic. Seriously after Mekong Delta, Metallica sound like N*Sync.

It actually got to the point where I thought I might collect the official bootlegs, whatever the cost. Because I found them very rewarding!

For me, the clinical production values are a big turnoff after a while. It sounds like metal with Britney Spears budget.

TOO BLOODY CLEAN!

The production was spot on with Train Of Thought though.

Well you learn something new!

Basically discovering that all the most hyped thrash bands are in some ways the most basic. Seriously after Mekong Delta, Metallica sound like N*Sync.

yeah, there's a lot to the metal world. a lot of people on this site dig 7 or 8 bands and stop. I love old metallica but I can't listen to it every day

It actually got to the point where I thought I might collect the official bootlegs, whatever the cost. Because I found them very rewarding!

For me, the clinical production values are a big turnoff after a while. It sounds like metal with Britney Spears budget.

TOO BLOODY CLEAN!

yeah, the super sterilization is part of why I gravitate to a band like watchtower, who did more challenging music with more grit

TOO BLOODY CLEAN!

yeah, the super sterilization is part of why I gravitate to a band like watchtower, who did more challenging music with more grit

I mean there are some bands I listen too and enjoy with super slick production. Some of Meshuggah for example, bands like Fear Factory or Nine Inch Nails. But DT produce music that would THRIVE with a rawer sound. With all the warmth and personality removed, it sounds wrong.

Sort of like imagining Caress Of Steel with Roll The Bones production.

I mean...DT are fine and I don't mean to knock them. There are bands I love that make many here cringe.

Watchtower keeps being brought up...I may play an album tomorrow.

I call this thread a successful derail. maybe people will listen to something besides whitesnake

I would agree.

But I actually enjoy Bon Jovi.

*hides*

And before people think I want DT to sound like they record music in a basement, I actually think that they would sound great with the production of Mekong Delta's Kaleidoscope.

That album is perfect balance between underground and mainstream metal (forget the black album).

And before people think I want DT to sound like they record music in a basement, I actually think that they would sound great with the production of Mekong Delta's Kaleidoscope.

That album is perfect balance between underground and mainstream metal (forget the black album).

yeah that record still sounds professional but doesn't lose its edge

I mean, I love plenty of well-produced music that's decidedly crisp and not raw at all. DT I find more interesting the way they sound on the I&W tokyo concert video. all the songs have more of a punch

Astonishing STILL sucks. but the 2 before it are still favs.

it was 1 misstep so i'm not so harsh........yet, lol

Mick

The music is great but those lyrics single handedly kill what would have been a masterpiece. Still glad I caught it live before it got torpedoed by the nostalgia tour.

but yeah, I don't think there's a record after SFAM that's good all the way through

For me, Train Of Thought and Systematic Chaos would be the only ones after Scenes that aren't good all the way through.

I like the majority of six degrees. my tendency with this group is I'll like the longest song on the album and forget the rest of it after a couple listens

theater are outclassed by everybody from psychotic waltz to thought industry to voivod to fates warning to sacred blade to watchtower, the list goes on

Never heard any Thought Industry or Sacred Blade, but I can't think of a single album by the rest of those bands that come anywhere near a Dream Theater album in my personal experience. Psychotic Waltz Voivod and Fates Warning may have been first but there is no contest. I kinda of like the 2 or 3 albums I have by Psychotic Waltz but Dream Theater is a whole other level for me.

Chroma Key, OSI and his solo stuff are pretty amazing too actually.

theater are outclassed by everybody from psychotic waltz to thought industry to voivod to fates warning to sacred blade to watchtower, the list goes on

Never heard any Thought Industry or Sacred Blade, but I can't think of a single album by the rest of those bands that come anywhere near a Dream Theater album in my personal experience. Psychotic Waltz Voivod and Fates Warning may have been first but there is no contest. I kinda of like the 2 or 3 albums I have by Psychotic Waltz but Dream Theater is a whole other level for me.

I just generally lean toward heavier stuff in the prog metal sphere. I'll take voivod's run from killing technology to the outer limits any day

Chroma Key, OSI and his solo stuff are pretty amazing too actually.

definitely