New Dream Theater album sample, tour dates 2019

Rod in Toronto

What is The Great Adventure?

Also still loving Paralyzed haha

New Neal Morse band album. Sequel to his last double album. which surprisingly let me down a bit, lol

DT's new album is much better honestly.

Mick

Surprising to hear, but makes me hopeful for the new DT album as the new Morse album doesn't work for me. Too much disney and dokken.

I didn't hate the pre-release DT songs, they just didn't strike any new ground and James singing is uninspired. But I'm willing to give it a chance, especially after seeing the recent feedback in this thread.

yeas this the first time in a long time i've been a bit let down by Morse. i loved Similitude. but TGA seeme a bit rushed and a bit of an afterthought.

i like pieces but as a whole.....it's fine i guess, lol

I loved Distance Over Time TONS more.

Mick

There's some good stuff on Disc 1 like Overture, Welcome To The World, I got To Run and Hey Ho Let's Go, but I really like Disc 2 more...especially live.

Disc 2 really takes off for me live.

As far as the new Dream Theater goes. I pretty much got screwed by Amazon. Ordered the 4 Disc set and they farmed it out to a third party seller without telling me they aren't even carrying it. (bait and switch) I guess there's a lesson learned there. Who knows when its going to show up now. Hasn't been shipped yet. Maybe I'll just cancel and order from somewhere else.

So i've finished my Marathon and i have my rankings. these are my personal feelings. not what technically is "better"

1. Scenes From A Memory

2. Dream Theater

3. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence

4. Images and Words

5. Distance Over Time

6. Train Of Thought

7. Awake

8. A Dramatic Turn Of Events

9. Octavarium

10. Falling Into Infinity

11. When Dream and Day Unite

12. Black Clouds and silver Linings

'

13. The Astonishing

14. Systematic Chaos

The last couple are in groups cause they are different levels of bland and/or vomit inducing, lol

Mick

Top 5. That’s bold.

i've heard it upwards of ten times by now. and i really think it deserves it.

only 2 weak tracks and 1 middle of the road one. however what they got right.......they REALLY got right. some of their best songs IMO.

Mick

Which one is middle of the road? Out Of Reach?

• Like 1

So i've finished my Marathon and i have my rankings. these are my personal feelings. not what technically is "better"

1. Scenes From A Memory

2. Dream Theater

4. Images and Words

5. Distance Over Time

6. Train Of Thought

7. Awake

9. Octavarium

'

13. The Astonishing

14. Systematic Chaos

The last couple are in groups cause they are different levels of bland and/or vomit inducing, lol

Mick

Top 5. That’s bold.

only 2 weak tracks and 1 middle of the road one. however what they got right.......they REALLY got right. some of their best songs IMO.

Mick

Pale blue Dot for me. i don't hate it. it just looses my interest like 5 minutes in.

Mick

• Like 1

New Neal Morse band album. Sequel to his last double album. which surprisingly let me down a bit, lol

Mick

Surprising to hear, but makes me hopeful for the new DT album as the new Morse album doesn't work for me. Too much disney and dokken.

I didn't hate the pre-release DT songs, they just didn't strike any new ground and James singing is uninspired. But I'm willing to give it a chance, especially after seeing the recent feedback in this thread.

yeas this the first time in a long time i've been a bit let down by Morse. i loved Similitude. but TGA seeme a bit rushed and a bit of an afterthought.

Exactly my impression -- sections of songs were outstanding, but connected by this bubbly, inconsistent (and often poorly written) narrative. "Rushed" is probably a good guess at how the album ended up getting done, because it sounds like it to me as well. Similitude - it's got a few thematic similarities, but overall the music and lyrics are one another plane.

He pretty much admitted at the show that a huge chunk of the first disc of The Great Adventure is just a prelude.

• Like 1

1. Scenes From A Memory

2. Dream Theater

4. Images and Words

5. Distance Over Time

6. Train Of Thought

7. Awake

9. Octavarium

'

13. The Astonishing

14. Systematic Chaos

Mick

Top 5. That’s bold.

Mick

Pale blue Dot for me. i don't hate it. it just looses my interest like 5 minutes in.

Mick

Really? Wow! That is one of their best for me!

Hard to rank these songs. I agree the first two are weak (not sure how they are shit though), but overall this album is a definite 8/10 with some of their finest songs ever.

Played Six Degrees today. Great album but I genuinely prefer this to that one.

Mick

Exactly my impression -- sections of songs were outstanding, but connected by this bubbly, inconsistent (and often poorly written) narrative. "Rushed" is probably a good guess at how the album ended up getting done, because it sounds like it to me as well. Similitude - it's got a few thematic similarities, but overall the music and lyrics are one another plane.

He pretty much admitted at the show that a huge chunk of the first disc of The Great Adventure is just a prelude.

and he basically copy pasted the album together from bits and peices he had. and honestly.....you could hear it. it's sounds ruushed. and he repeats the love never dies theme about a billion times. making this album way short on melodies.

it's a good record but not his best. and on the Neal fan page on Facebook they out there drooling, lol

DT'S album is way better.

Mick

The new DT is a f***ing slam dunk. Great record. Just fiery intensity that I’ve never heard from this band.

And killer performance from Labrie. Who would’ve guessed? Great melodies from this guy. He put the work in.

Granted, I have only listened to three 2019 releases. But I reckon this will be in my top three for this year!

• Like 3

I must confess my buddy played the first three tracks of the new record and I am pleasantly surprised! Amazing melodies and incredible instrumentation. James is ok too, but the instrumental sections kick prog ass.

Only the first three tracks? You haven't even heard the best this album has to offer yet.

• Like 2

Hell I even bought tickets to see them at the Masonic in SF.

Odd that you would waste your money on concert tickets for a band you say has been shit for 25 years.

Actually quite consistent for him.

Earl may be DTs biggest fanboi here....

I bet he has seen them more than most if not here.

• Like 1

Odd that you would waste your money on concert tickets for a band you say has been shit for 25 years.

Hahahaha! Fukk yes! Finally listening to the whole thing right now. Holy Shit! It is fuckking incredible!

YEP!

Call a spade a spade.

You are correct.

I've ripped Wet Dream Theater a new asshole in public for 25 years. Good call J.

You do know me very well.

I love every album up to "Change Of Seasons."

I had a hard time with "Falling Into Infinity." Meh

"Scenes" I confess I did love. Hence another reason why I wasted my money for the upcoming tour.

Then yes. Every album except for "Octivarium" I didn't like at all.

Many humans love "Train Of Thought."

More like "Damage Inc Rot."

Such a horrible Metallica rip off record.

This new album by Dream Theater should have been written after "AWAKE!"

Who the hell finally woke up this band after all these years to write a melodic masterpiece?

Yup!

Call me crazy.

Label me insane.

At least I'm consistent and can admit when I am wrong.

What's wrong with that?

You make disagree with me or hate me for me being me but I'm real and I will never be a fake poster.

Too many frauds in the world.

Music is our true Universal Language.

Hell, for the first time in 2112 moons, I'm in love again.

I think there is no doubt that everything in life is cyclical.

I remember breaking up with my first girlfriend of 5 years when "Images And Words" came out.

It fuckking hurt man.

But "Images And Words" pulled me through. Not under. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love you J2112. Regardless of our squabbles. I love that you challenge me.

I was one of the biggest DT fans on the planet.

I hated 6 Degrees.

It's life.

They did By Tor on that Tour. It was ok.

I may bitch about this band but I buy every release. Hoping for what I am hearing tonight. Holy Shit Balls.

I fukkin love you Tangy!!!

You know me too.

At least I am consistent. Amazing.

I love my Rush Forum Friends on here.

Can't make everyone happy! Fukk it!

Money not wasted as I did J go to the Images And Words Album Tour last year in Oakland and they blew me away.

So yes.

"Here I Go Again." Stroking my Whitesnke to the new DT album tonight.

Wasting money is an everyday deal with everyone.

You can't take it with you.

I have second row on the floor.

Got a good deal.

Prog on Bitches!

This could be my ALBUM OF THE YEAR!

BUT!

Remember that band I try to pimp on here all the time and no-one cares? Turbonegro?

The ex lead singer Hank Von Hell has a new album out.

Holy shit.

Marco is better than Mike.

PS: Tangy is right again.

I am a DT whore.

I stumbled across a Liquid Tension Experiment DVD yesterday.

So after I saw Neal Schon's Journey Through Time live at The Fox in Oakland.

Which was fuckking incredible.

I took a shower, cracked a beer and watched that DVD.

Tony Levin blew my mind. DUH!!!!! LOL!

This new DT album is blowing my mind.

Who told them to write a beautiful melodic prog record again???????

Listened to it again.

Best album since "Awake."

JMCO

Just My Consistent Opinion

I've ripped this band apart for over 25 years J2112.

Because I expected to be blown away with every release.

Finally.

It came true again.

We all have different brains and ears.

I've been hoping for an album like this for decades.

Melody.

Emotional.

Moving.

PROG!

So glad the last albums were stinkers with a few highlights.. Especially the last one.

Glad they finally woke the fukk up.

Masterpiece.

You so-called Dream Theater experts and intellects do know that "137" is inscribed on the skull?

So I read the "Room 137" lyrics.

Interesting.

Can you goofball prog egg nog frogs figure out the connection?

Tangy you RULE!!!!

I ain't "Nobody's Fool."

Love,

Cinderella

Well then. Mick wasn't interested and wound up loving it. Earl hasn't been interested since Octavarium, and wound up calling it the best since Awake. Segue that I recall didn't care for the singles and wasn't much looking forward to it, only to praise it and call it an easy top 3 of the year.

I hope my original tinge of excitement for this release doesn't turn into the opposite when I finally give it a spin today.

• Like 3

Well then. Mick wasn't interested and wound up loving it. Earl hasn't been interested since Octavarium, and wound up calling it the best since Awake. Segue that I recall didn't care for the singles and wasn't much looking forward to it, only to praise it and call it an easy top 3 of the year.

I hope my original tinge of excitement for this release doesn't turn into the opposite when I finally give it a spin today.

Its the nicest surprise in a long time!

• Like 1

I'm really shocked to see all the positive reviews for this album.

I'm going to need to give it another listen, because I heard very little that I really cared for.

i''ve not looked around.....but i'm willing to bet more people have your view. and that's cool.

Mick