Ultimate Permanent Waves poll: Musically does this album belong to the 70's or 80's?

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

Poll: Ultimate Permanent Waves poll: Musically does this album belongs to the 70's or 80's? (47 member(s) have cast votes)

Ultimate Permanent Waves poll: Musically does this album belong to the 70's or 80's?

1. 70's (24 votes [51.06%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 51.06%

2. 80's (23 votes [48.94%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 48.94%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Fordgalaxy

Fordgalaxy

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 5387 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 07:05 PM

View PostTransverse Leaf Spring, on 12 January 2018 - 02:39 PM, said:

Just a note, all votes are public. So those of you not right in the head can be easily rounded up and sent to “re-education camps”.
Come and get me, tough guy.  :rage:

Edited by Fordgalaxy, 12 January 2018 - 07:06 PM.

Sponsored Post

#22 Jaminbenb

Jaminbenb

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2907 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 07:17 PM

Probably 80's because it was the beginning of the less "prog" masterpieces, and more concise songs.  Natural Science and Jacob's Ladder are PROBABLY the only 70's holdover's, but I think this started their 80's run!

#23 tangy

tangy

The Great Progholio

• Members
  • 9684 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:22 PM

70's bzitches!!!!

#24 Crimsonmistymemory

Crimsonmistymemory

Testing the Fences

• Members *
  • 17963 posts
  • Interests:Just an interested cat,
    Living in a,
    Dog eat Dog World

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:49 PM

It is a transition album of musical genius moving the listener from the late 70's into the early 80's
:Alex: :Neil: :geddy:

Edited by Crimsonmistymemory, 12 January 2018 - 08:50 PM.

#25 Digital Dad

Digital Dad

The Dad Abides

• Members
  • 10503 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:38 PM

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 12 January 2018 - 02:12 PM, said:

This is not the ultimate PeW poll. There have been others before, and there most likely will be many to come. Nevertheless, PeW is, was, and will always be a 70s album in spirit, released on January 1st 1980.

No it bloody well feckin Isn’t. Yes it was recorded in the 70’s but Permanent Waves is an album clearly looking forward into the future. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just being stubborn. It has far more in common with Pictures and Signals than it does with Hemispheres and Kings. It is leaving the excesses of the 70’s era behind and forging new grounds. Get your heads out of your arses people. Its not rocket f***ing science.

#26 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 5209 posts
  • Interests:Music, architecture, and childhood hobbies.

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:42 PM

View PostDigital Dad, on 12 January 2018 - 09:38 PM, said:

This is not the ultimate PeW poll. There have been others before, and there most likely will be many to come. Nevertheless, PeW is, was, and will always be a 70s album in spirit, released on January 1st 1980.

No it bloody well feckin Isn’t. Yes it was recorded in the 70’s but Permanent Waves is an album clearly looking forward into the future. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just being stubborn. It has far more in common with Pictures and Signals than it does with Hemispheres and Kings. It is leaving the excesses of the 70’s era behind and forging new grounds. Get your heads out of your arses people. Its not rocket f***ing science.

little harsh much? lol, no big deal. I hear a definite change in style sure, but that 70s mentality (more is more, go a bit nuts just cuz) is still in top form, just being used with a bit more finesse and control. I don't hear the 80s fully until MP, with that overwhelming synth bass that opens up TS. On PeW, the synths, prominent as they are, are still used mainly for detail and decoration. By MP, they've finally made the transition to becoming a core part of the foundation of certain songs, and by Signals they've become the backbone of most of the album.

#27 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

Twin City Cub Fan

• Members *
  • 73948 posts
  • Interests:women's Uggs, trying to compensate for my small hands, buying gifts for the equipment staff, smashing certain cell phones, that dreamy Judge Berman

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:55 PM

Yeah, because Freewill, The Spirit of Radio and, Natural Science would fit in so well in Power Windows and HYF... :wacko:

#28 Fordgalaxy

Fordgalaxy

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 5387 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:02 PM

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 12 January 2018 - 10:55 PM, said:

Yeah, because Freewill, The Spirit of Radio and, Natural Science would fit in so well in Power Windows and HYF... :wacko:

He said it was "looking forward". It wasn't all there yet.

#29 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21906 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:00 AM

Musically it's very 70's.  The 80's was mostly about synth pop, and this album has none of that.

#30 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21906 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:01 AM

Nope. Sorry.

#31 toymaker

toymaker

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 6345 posts
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:01 AM

I love these polls.

Posted Image

The Permanent Waves album cover is in there, behind the "1970."

#32 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

Cupcake Warrior

• Members
  • 34302 posts
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Paradise Lost
    Nightwish
    HIM
    The Gathering
    Within Temptation
    Type O Negative
    Machine Head
    Mastodon
    Trivium
    Metallica
    Jimmy Eat World
    The Juliana Theory
    Bruce Springsteen

Posted 13 January 2018 - 05:21 AM

I think it sounds timeless.

It could easily be released today by a prog flavoured hard rock band with a bent for vintage moods and sounds. It could have been released in 1567 by a trio of raging anti-totalitarian bastards intent on pissing off the Catholics.

#33 lifeson90

lifeson90

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1242 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:38 AM

Yeah technically speaking it gotta be a late 70s album but for me, spiritually speaking, is easily 100% an early 80s album that is really kinda timeless as it still sounds fresh as a daisy now and probably always will.

Every. Note. Perfect.

#34 Digital Dad

Digital Dad

The Dad Abides

• Members
  • 10503 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:36 AM

View PostEagleMoon, on 13 January 2018 - 12:01 AM, said:

Nope. Sorry.

All Rush music up until the early 90’s is a natural progression from what came before. Waves is ot looking backward but moving forward. Waves is a sea change a reaction from the excesses of the Hemispheres, kitchen sink approach to their music. Therefore it fits better with Pictures, Signals even Grace.

Now Windows, HYF yeah that's more synth based but its closer to the new approach than something like Farewell or Hemispheres.

#35 Phantom

Phantom

Superconductor

• Members *
  • 1006 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:38 AM

View Posttoymaker, on 13 January 2018 - 04:01 AM, said:

I love these polls.

Posted Image

Hmmm..I can't find it.

#36 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 59225 posts
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:56 AM

View PostUnion 5-3992, on 12 January 2018 - 05:53 PM, said:

View PostPermanent-Rush, on 12 January 2018 - 02:28 PM, said:

OKAY CAN WE STOP THE f***ing NONSENSE ON THIS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

This topic has been beaten to the ground n it's becoming too old too quick!! Just give it up, stop trying to win this fight over it, n just let ppl decide what album they think it is okay??

We don't need millions of topics on this that only start fights and arguments among many ppl that cause at times all out wars among fans that could get deadly.

We just need to respect each other n there opinions, n that includes on this topic that is dumb anyway imo. :heart: :heart: xoxo
Uh oh, the thought police just showed up
:musicnote:  They live inside of my head :musicnote:

#37 JARG

JARG

Pinky Moe

• Members *
  • 20391 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, guitar playing

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:14 PM

View PostPhantom, on 13 January 2018 - 09:38 AM, said:

I love these polls.

Posted Image

Hmmm..I can't find it.

That's because he posted the wrong pic. The poster from the 1980s has it clear as day. ;)

#38 Permanent-Rush

Permanent-Rush

The Dream Police

• Members
  • 46036 posts
  • Interests:R.E.M., Bill Berry, Mike Mills, Michael Stipe, Peter Buck

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:14 PM

I love these polls.

Posted Image

No it's not mate

#39 Permanent-Rush

Permanent-Rush

The Dream Police

• Members
  • 46036 posts
  • Interests:R.E.M., Bill Berry, Mike Mills, Michael Stipe, Peter Buck

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:15 PM

I love these polls.

Posted Image

Hmmm..I can't find it.

He's tricking ppl

#40 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 59225 posts
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 13 January 2018 - 01:54 PM

View PostJARG, on 13 January 2018 - 12:14 PM, said:

I love these polls.

Posted Image

Hmmm..I can't find it.

That's because he posted the wrong pic. The poster from the 1980s has it clear as day. ;)
:lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users