• 5489 posts
  • Interests:Music
    Biking
    Mountain Climbing
    Running
    Movies
    Reading

Posted 30 April 2017 - 04:50 PM

My girlfriend and I watched the first three episodes the other night. Good stuff. Looking forward to more.

#3 Syrinx

Syrinx

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2272 posts
  • Interests:Dallas Cowboys!

Posted 01 May 2017 - 03:59 PM

Pretty good show so far!

#4 Syrinx

Syrinx

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2272 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 11:59 AM

This show keeps getting better and better!

#5 Rushman14

Rushman14

Mr. Hollywood

• Members *
  • 12239 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 01:16 PM

Just finished season two. Pretty grim and dark but I loved it.

#6 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

Twin City Cub Fan

• Members *
  • 79298 posts
  • Interests:marxism, hate, subjugating the individual to the state, the Great Purges, the Holomodor, the Cultural Revolution, the Great Leap Forward, the New York Times

Posted 25 July 2018 - 06:51 AM

Disclaimer:  I have never seen the show, all I know about it is reading the reviews from the Economist and a couple of links from it, and Wikipedia.

But having said that, while the premise may work as farce or a period piece from 400 years ago, or from some where half the way across the world (though given the worldview of the types of people who make these things, that seems rather unlikely, it's much more the case that the irony is lost on them), I'm guessing that the people who worked on this are the kind of ultraserious (but unintentionally funny) people who view themselves as the last bulwark against a dystopian theocracy.   In 2018, especially, this is idiotic.   If they'd look around, they'd see a country where the Little Sisters of the Poor are told by the federal government they have to provide birth control, bakers and others are harassed and put out of business because they don't want to serve gay weddings, and Google engineers are terminated for noticing basic biological tendencies.

And before anyone brings up the current, clownish xenophobia (I'm not sure it's part of this particular series but it is brought up frequently, and for valid reasons), this is  as true of most Christian Europe as it is America.

Me thinks there's a little projection going on there.   So as something to be taken seriously as a cautionary tale this is, literally, hysterical nonsense.

If you're going to be critical of this post because I haven't seen the show, so be it.   But unless I have the basic details of what the show is attempting to do, it doesn't invalidate the criticism.

#7 Syrinx

Syrinx

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2272 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 10:40 AM

Whatever.  I watch it as entertainment.  Star Wars was entertaining also.  I am not watching any show because it is somehow projecting the future of mankind.  It is entertainment

#8 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

The Oracle

• Members
  • 12453 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 07:19 PM

This show is on my 'to watch' list. I'll reserve any overly critical analysis of the the plot until after I see it.

#9 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

Twin City Cub Fan

• Members *
  • 79298 posts
  • Interests:marxism, hate, subjugating the individual to the state, the Great Purges, the Holomodor, the Cultural Revolution, the Great Leap Forward, the New York Times

Posted 25 July 2018 - 07:46 PM

View PostSyrinx, on 25 July 2018 - 10:40 AM, said:

Whatever.  I watch it as entertainment.  Star Wars was entertaining also.  I am not watching any show because it is somehow projecting the future of mankind.  It is entertainment
Well, the people that are making it think they're making a profound political statement.  As far as I can tell, they're detached enough from reality to think it's plausible, and they're in the vanguard, sounding the alarm.

#10 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 67933 posts
  • Interests:marxism

Posted 25 July 2018 - 08:03 PM

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 25 July 2018 - 07:46 PM, said:

Well, the people that are making it think they're making a profound political statement.  As far as I can tell, they're detached enough from reality to think it's plausible, and they're in the vanguard, sounding the alarm.
It's based on an Atwood novel from the 80s, which was inspired in part by a sect of radical catholics, which uses the term "handmaid of God".  I'll look for a story I saw recently...

Here:

https://archive.nyti...ale%2522&st=cse

Edited by goose, 25 July 2018 - 08:08 PM.

#11 Rushman14

Rushman14

Mr. Hollywood

• Members *
  • 12239 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 09:46 AM

Whatever you are hearing about the producers thinking they are making a profound political statement should not deter you from checking it out. It is really good.

#12 barney_rebel

barney_rebel

The Camera Guy

• 27112 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 09:04 PM

Finished Season 2.  Absolutely love it.

Parts are filmed in my hometown btw.  Took the kids to the hanging wall and the loopy bridge.  Also the cafe where June would stop in.

#13 barney_rebel

barney_rebel

The Camera Guy

• 27112 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 09:05 PM

For those who read the book, the epilogue is kind of "way out there", like a Spielberg movie.

I think after Season 1, they are taking the opportunity to fill in the gaps of the story.

#14 JohnRogers

JohnRogers

Holy Tai Shan!!!

• Members *
  • 30861 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 09:10 PM

View PostRushman14, on 26 July 2018 - 09:46 AM, said:

Whatever you are hearing about the producers thinking they are making a profound political statement should not deter you from checking it out. It is really good.
I really enjoyed season one. Since I see no parallels to any America of my lifetime I can enjoy it for the fiction it is.  

I’d totally be with the “in crowd” partying with hoes at the hotel.

#15 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

The Oracle

• Members
  • 12453 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 11:22 PM

Just got a couple episodes left to watch in season two. Love this show. Grim and dark concept for sure but still an entertaining show. I already knew Elisabeth Moss was good from seeing her in Mad Men but what a fantastic performance from her in this.

#16 Syrinx

Syrinx

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2272 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 12:32 PM

Elizabeth Moss is one of the greatest actresses around today.

#17 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

The Oracle

• Members
  • 12453 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 11:16 PM

New episodes are out now. I believe the first three were released yesterday. Really looking forward to how this plays out.

#18 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

Cupcake Warrior

• Members
  • 37388 posts
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Paradise Lost
    Nightwish
    HIM
    The Gathering
    Within Temptation
    After Forever
    The Juliana Theory
    Iron Maiden
    Judas Priest
    Trivium
    Sonata Arctica
    Jimmy Eat World
    Alter Bridge

Posted 06 June 2019 - 07:23 AM

View PostJ2112YYZ, on 05 June 2019 - 11:16 PM, said:

New episodes are out now. I believe the first three were released yesterday. Really looking forward to how this plays out.

First episode was so...refreshing. Loved it.

Now onto episode 2!

So glad to have this show back.

#19 invisible airwave

invisible airwave

Natural Science Theater 3000

• Members
  • 21703 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 09:11 AM

Google Kylie Jenner and this show if you want to lose more faith in humanity.  She is to the show what the guy in the chorus to In Bloom is to Nirvanas music.  Idiocracy just keeps getting more prophetic.

She don’t know what it means.  :facepalm:

#20 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

The Seeker

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 11:56 AM

I've watched the show's first season and it raises interesting questions.

Granted this type of fascism exists now in other societies, and not here - but there are unnerving aspects of the show where I could imagine this type of repression happening in the states sometime in the near future.

Of course population control will be the biggest issue in our future - we argue about choice now, to terminate or not terminate a pregnancy - but as we modernize, and become increasingly economically stable, we will have less children.

You see it now - less people getting married, and educated/employed folks having 1 or 2 kids. The choice to not have kids, or to terminate a pregnancy en masse is not good for business.

No question I can see indentured servitude and sex slavery becoming more en vogue, since economic disparity grows at a fast rate, and the population dips. Perhaps a bigger governmental push to encourage breeding, and maybe make it compulsory.

In China, the government's one child policy was finally ended in 2015. Now there is talk of taxing families for having no children, since the country faces serious under population:

https://www.whatsonw...into-pregnancy/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2017, hulu, adaptation, Margaret Atwood

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users