Does Anyone hate the 80's as much as me?

Steve Smith

OK guilty as charged

I apologise

But everyone has missed the point I was trying to make.

I KNOW that the 80's produced a lot of wonderful music and epoch's and great political change.

But a lot of the music was awful, that's all I will say. Yes some of the pop stuff was great and still stands the test of time. The Smiths etc

And great metal Metallica, Megadeth and others

But being a rock musician was just awful at the time, it was "Spinal Tap" where you were judged by the tightness of your trousers and the size of your backcombed hair, rather than your ability and talent.

But I am happy to say that I still have a full head of good hair and I see many of the back combed boys from that era who are as bald as a coot !!! ha ha

Not being thin skinned, I just wished to express an opinion.

Thanks

Steve.

Thank you for reply Fridge

I accept my comment was one sided. But aren't all opinions one sided????

With regard to being "2 Dimensional" I don't know what the hell you are talking about???? That sounds like something a politician's spin doctor would say or "middle management" speak. Do you also "think outside of the box" and have "blue sky thinking" ???

Perhaps we should hoist that one up the flagpole and see who salutes..

Unfortunately we are where we are and as long as we can resolve the situation proactively then we can gain a "win win" situation.

I do not mean to rain on your parade.

Perhaps I should ask Doctor Who for a lend of the Tardis, then I can be 4 dimensional

Have you got a line on the bingo card yet?

Thx

I think it depends on what you paid attention to. I didn't care for a lot of the music Steve referred to but my reaction was to not go to those kinds of clubs, listen to what I liked which was stuff like Metallica, slayer, venom, hellhammer, voiced, etc. I also like a lot of the 90s bands better but there was plenty of crap in the 90s. Boy bands were huge, the Macarena, chumbawumba, etc. he 70s gets a lot of love here too. If you got in a time machine and went back and turned on the radio it was full of shit. Most of the great music wasn't on the radio. If you think there were very many stations blasting yes and Genesis in the mid seventies I didn't have it where I lived. More like shit like muskrat love and Donnie and Marie.
  • Like 2

Hi Fridge

I am sorry for my message to you, it was uncalled for I accept

Please do not take it personally, I have a few issues going on at the moment and am a bit hacked off with everything.

I hope you can understand in some way.

Yes you are correct, I should try not to be thin skinned.

Thanks Fridge

Steve

• Like 2

Thank you for reply Fridge

I accept my comment was one sided. But aren't all opinions one sided????

With regard to being "2 Dimensional" I don't know what the hell you are talking about???? That sounds like something a politician's spin doctor would say or "middle management" speak. Do you also "think outside of the box" and have "blue sky thinking" ???

Perhaps we should hoist that one up the flagpole and see who salutes..

Unfortunately we are where we are and as long as we can resolve the situation proactively then we can gain a "win win" situation.

I do not mean to rain on your parade.

Perhaps I should ask Doctor Who for a lend of the Tardis, then I can be 4 dimensional

Have you got a line on the bingo card yet?

Thx

No, opinions are not all one sided, you can base them on all the evidence instead of prejudging

Are you for real?....two dimensional is a very commonly used term to describe someone who is only looking at something superficially, which you were.

As for the rest of your post, I have no idea what you are blathering on about, and no particular desire to find out either.

Seriously, stop posting your opinions then apologising for them afterwards...there's no need and it makes you look silly.

• Like 2

Hi Fridge

Please do not take it personally, I have a few issues going on at the moment and am a bit hacked off with everything.

Thanks Fridge

Steve

No probs.

Hair Metal was what hurt the image of the 80s. If you weren't actually active in the music scene during that time, you'd think all bands were like Motkey Crue. But there many innovative and groundbreaking genres.. new wave, post punk, rap..unfortunately, the sunset strip scene seemed to have dominated the spotlight in the second half of the decade. And honestly, I dont hate all of that stuff..im a fan of the first three Crue albums.,

First half of the '80s were a good time in my life- the second half was really, really not.

But despite a LOT of dreck in the music world, there was some good stuff- Rush was on quite a streak then, and the '80s were also a golden era for heavy metal.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 1

Hi Fridge

Thanks Fridge

Steve

My advice to you, Steve, is just to be a little more lighthearted. We're all here to talk about music and have a good old time. Don't be so serious. :)

I think it depends on what you paid attention to. I didn't care for a lot of the music Steve referred to but my reaction was to not go to those kinds of clubs, listen to what I liked which was stuff like Metallica, slayer, venom, hellhammer, voiced, etc. I also like a lot of the 90s bands better but there was plenty of crap in the 90s. Boy bands were huge, the Macarena, chumbawumba, etc. he 70s gets a lot of love here too. If you got in a time machine and went back and turned on the radio it was full of shit. Most of the great music wasn't on the radio. If you think there were very many stations blasting yes and Genesis in the mid seventies I didn't have it where I lived. More like shit like muskrat love and Donnie and Marie.

Now Muskrat Love is stuck in my head for the day . . . :banghead:

• Like 2

I agree with him. I don't like 80s music either...in general. Is he saying all albums from the 80s sucked? Of course not!! He's talking about the style over substance trend during the decade: too much emphasis on hair, makeup, cheezy videos, flashy colors, stage costumes, tough LA party band image, chicks, keyboards and synthesizers, dance moves, slick production, lipstick and plastic......do I hafta spell it out for you? Overall, he did not like it. And neither did I. It started in the early 80s thanks to MTV and got progressively worse until it reached its peak around 1990.

Now, there are some great albums of the era.....always exceptions to the rule: Yes, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Signals, Kill 'em All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, Garage Days,...Justice..., Blizzard of Ozz, Diary of a Madman (listening to it right now), there are many. They just didn't reflect the times in popular culture...at that time.

But everyone has missed the point I was trying to make.

Here's a possibility to mull over: most people got your point and perhaps just don't agree with it.

• Like 5

80's Rush

Van Halen

Def Leppard

Genesis

Talking Heads

Kate Bush

Peter Gabriel

That's all i can think of this early.

but the 80's fukkin' rocked.

Mick

Tears For Fears