Nine Inch Nails vs. Smashing Pumpkins

rocket ignites

Nine Inch Nails vs. Smashing Pumpkins  

37 members have voted

1. 1. What band/music do you prefer?

• NIN - Reznor
    • Pumpkins - Corgan

I am a big 90s alt rock fan and us I love to eat.

Really like both bands, NIN on cusp of a top tier band for me. Will make the extra effort to see them when they come around. SP, well, I recall being in love with Mellon Collie when it came out. Had tix for SP once, the day of the fateful OD in nyc, so I've never seen them live.

Edited by Gabrielgil513
  • Like 1

How does one prefer one's pretentiousness?

Nine Inch Nails have some amazing songs, albeit very dark, negative and depressing songs.

I hated Smashing Pumpkins back in the day. Corgan's voice annoyed me to no end. But, over time, the Pumpkins have grown on me.

Nine Inch Nails never came close to writing a song as catchy as "1979", the tiebreaker.

Smashing Pumpkins get my vote.

• Like 5

Nine Inch Nails.

I love this band. Not so much now tbf...but back in the day...YAAASSSSSS

SP are good. Very good. Spiffing good. But...they aren't NiN.

• Like 1

Smashing Pumpkins created some great great albums .. Crush is an amazing piece of music .. and 1979 and Today are 90s pop classics

I never felt anything with Nine Inch Nails

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 2

NiN have lost their edge since Reznor got clean (hate to post that, but it's true). Prior (say The Fragile back in their catalog), NiN are the definitive industrial band. Not sure pitting Smashing Pumpkins against NiN is really apples to apples. Very different bands.

I can't stand Corgan's voice. When people complain about Ged's vocals I often think about my dislike of Corgan's, and all is forgiven. I recently tried to get into Mellon Collie which was an album I skipped entirely due to not liking the radio tracks. I just don't like that album (maybe a song or two on the second disc are okay). I'm glad he mostly abandoned this direction on later releases.

IMO tSP are just a good band and NiN define a genre.

NiN have lost their edge since Reznor got clean (hate to post that, but it's true). Prior (say The Fragile back in their catalog), NiN are the definitive industrial band. Not sure pitting Smashing Pumpkins against NiN is really apples to apples. Very different bands.

I can't stand Corgan's voice. When people complain about Ged's vocals I often think about my dislike of Corgan's, and all is forgiven. I recently tried to get into Mellon Collie which was an album I skipped entirely due to not liking the radio tracks. I just don't like that album (maybe a song or two on the second disc are okay). I'm glad he mostly abandoned this direction on later releases.

I don't think NIN defined a genre. They certainly commercialized the genre.
  • Like 4

Yes. I don't think one band can define an entire genre.

• Like 2

Maybe defining is too strong a descriptor... I was thinking along the lines they became the poster-children. Ministry and other bands were doing industrial before NiN, and were doing it even heavier. I agree, bad terminology by me. :)

But The Smashing Pumpkins are really just another rock band. They're not poster children, not genre defining, not even genre resembling (are they alt? grunge? hard rock?).

Edited by stoopid

I worked with a guy in 1990 that always had these stickers and t shirts everywhere with skinny puppy, nin and others and I had to ask him what the hell it was all about. I literally said what is nin? (and pronounced it like a word, lol)

• Like 1