Signals!

Rick N. Backer

Love the album. I never even knew there was a divide with the fans when it came to liking it until I joined here. I love just about every song on it although Chemistry and Countdown have taken some time to grow on me. I like those two more now than I used to. The rest of the album is made up of classic songs.
  • Like 3

I always figured Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures and Signals were universally loved. I guess it has to do with when I discovered the band.
  • Like 1

Signals is a little gem in an outstanding Rush catalog.

Was there a big buzz/hype about the album at time of release or major promotion? I've always wondered that...since it's the follow-up to the monster Moving Pictures.

Yes. I remember New World Man being on the radio quite a bit in the lead up to the album's release.

I love Signals...just not as much as anything they did before

Anything?

Maybe not every song, but all the albums

(I'm one of those weirdos who love the debut)

• Like 1

I don't think it has anything to do with when you discovered the band. At least to me it doesn't.

I never listened to AFTK, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves and Signals in their entirety until a few years ago.

Timeless is timeless.

• Like 2

Interesting discussion. For me, Signals where where I jumped off the bandwagon, and stayed off for a considerable length of years. The album just completely lost me, as I felt no connection with any lyrics on the album. While the band (or Geddy, at least) was becoming intrigued by the potential for synths up front, and exploring new world beats, I wanted no part (no Peart?) of their explorations.

Fast forward 30 years, and I sink a couple of hundred bucks into a synthesizer, solely to teach myself how to play the opening of Subdivisions. Times, indeed, do change.

• Like 3

Signals has always been totally solid, as far as I'm concerned. Side A to me is just as great as side one of Moving Pictures. The drumming in Subdivisions, the great rock and melodic vibe of Analog Kid (not to mention that manic solo), the composition of Chemistry, and the bass and groove of Digital Man (the intro to the solo and the solo itself being one of the last truly great Rush moments for me) - all fantastic. The Weapon is an incredible composition, as well. I pretty much love all the songs.
  • Like 5

Signals is a pretty polarizing album here. Too much synth? (No). Is it the last album of the band's golden era? (Yes). Better than AFTK? (Way).

I love it. As a bass player in garage bands, The Analog Kid, Digital Man and, yes, New World Man were, and still are, some of my favorite songs to play. I listened to it this morning on the train. I love Clockwork Angels, too. And you have to go back 30 years from that to find the band's last truly flawless album. Yes, even the kind of hokey Countdown (which had outstanding visuals during the tour).

Problem for me is that you listed three songs which include the only two I really like -- TAG (which I really love) and NWM. Apart from Losing It and Subdivisions (the latter which I've only recently begun to like), the rest of the album to me is really forgettable. Not even close to ranking among their classics (MP and previous). But to each one's own, I don't hate the album; if you like it or love it, cool. Loving Presto on the other hand signals an underlying problem.

p.s. I'll concede that AFTK does not edge it by much. AFTK's side one is absolute classic. Growing up, side two was filler capped by a magnum opus classic. Over the years, came to appreciate CTTH as a masterful pop song, leaving just the two middle songs as filler. That's not a lot of filler really. But, if you count CTTH as filler, than it's got a lot of filler. So... easy to see why opinions are divided about AFTK. For me, I'd take it any day over Signals, but it's not a slam dunk as it is with FBN through MP. Can't live without Xanadu though. No way.

p.p.s. Funny, if I compare the albums -- AFTK vs Signals -- track by track, it actually comes out pretty even. I'd give Subdivision/Analog Kid and easy win over AFTK and Xanadu an overwhelming lopsided embarrasingly-easy win over Chemistry/DM. So far a tie, slight edge to AFTK. CTTH easily tops The Weapon but NWM even more easily tops Cinderella Man. Edge still belongs to AFTK, but it's now very close. Losing It easily beats Madrigal; we now have a tie, even with an edge to Signals, arguably. BUT, Cynus X-1 completely obliterates Countdown so that Countdown might not as well have ever existed (in fact, we'd all be better off if it hadn't). So, things were pretty much neck and neck, touch and go, each album trading punches, until we got to the last track of each album. Based on the awesomess of Cygnus X-1, and the noxious awfulness of Countdown (anyone in a garage band should recoil at that track I would think), victory, close as it was nearing the end, clearly goes to AFTK. All hail '70s Rush (which includes PeW and MP, in spirit; Signals being the first '80s album)!

Edited by Rutlefan

Signals is a pretty polarizing album here. Too much synth? (No). Is it the last album of the band's golden era? (Yes). Better than AFTK? (Way).

I love it. As a bass player in garage bands, The Analog Kid, Digital Man and, yes, New World Man were, and still are, some of my favorite songs to play. I listened to it this morning on the train. I love Clockwork Angels, too. And you have to go back 30 years from that to find the band's last truly flawless album. Yes, even the kind of hokey Countdown (which had outstanding visuals during the tour).

Problem for me is that you listed three songs which include the only two I really like -- TAG (which I really love) and NWM. Apart from Losing It and Subdivisions (the latter which I've only recently begun to like), the rest of the album to me is really forgettable. Not even close to ranking among their classics (MP and previous). But to each one's own, I don't hate the album; if you like it or love it, cool. Loving Presto on the other hand signals an underlying problem.

p.s. I'll concede that AFTK does not edge it by much. AFTK's side one is absolute classic. Growing up, side two was filler capped by a magnum opus classic. Over the years, came to appreciate CTTH as a masterful pop song, leaving just the two middle songs as filler. That's not a lot of filler really. But, if you count CTTH as filler, than it's got a lot of filler. So... easy to see why opinions are divided about AFTK. For me, I'd take it any day over Signals, but it's not a slam dunk as it is with FBN through MP. Can't live without Xanadu though. No way.

p.p.s. Funny, if I compare the albums -- AFTK vs Signals -- track by track, it actually comes out pretty even. I'd give Subdivision/Analog Kid and easy win over AFTK and Xanadu an overwhelming lopsided embarrasingly-easy win over Chemistry/DM. So far a tie, slight edge to AFTK. CTTH easily tops The Weapon but NWM even more easily tops Cinderella Man. Edge still belongs to AFTK, but it's now very close. Losing It easily beats Madrigal; we now have a tie, even with an edge to Signals, arguably. BUT, Cynus X-1 completely obliterates Countdown so that Countdown might not as well have ever existed (in fact, we'd all be better off if it hadn't). So, things were pretty much neck and neck, touch and go, each album trading punches, until we got to the last track of each album. Based on the awesomess of Cygnus X-1, and the noxious awfulness of Countdown (anyone in a garage band should recoil at that track I would think), victory, close as it was nearing the end, clearly goes to AFTK. All hail '70s Rush (which includes PeW and MP, in spirit; Signals being the first '80s album)!

AFTK, the song, is boring. Cygnus X-1 is basically noise, with complex time changes. CTtH doesn't do it for me, personally, but I recognize it does for a lot of people. So you're basically talking Xanadu and Cinderella Man (Madrigal is a poor man's Different Strings) against Signals.

Blowout. Signals.

Next we can discuss why 90125 is Yes' best album by miles. :)

The beloved Subdivisions, the bad-ass Analog Kid, the spooky Weapon, and the outstanding Losing It. This album is so dependable whenever you need a good jam out sesh. :ebert:
  • Like 2

Signals is a little gem in an outstanding Rush catalog.

Was there a big buzz/hype about the album at time of release or major promotion? I've always wondered that...since it's the follow-up to the monster Moving Pictures.

I remember MTV kept promoting "World Premiere Video" for Subdivisions, counting down to when it'd air. Again and again. I'd like to say it was MTV's first "World Premiere" video (they were only a year old at that time). That is, it wasn't MTV's first video. That was "Video Killed the Radio Star" but I believe Subdivisions was the first video labeled under the promo "World Premiere Video" which would be used for decades following that. Anyway, it was very exciting for Rush fans then. And Subdivisions DID get played a lot by all the VJs back then. And, a few months later, so did Countdown.

Radio too played the hell out of many of the new songs off Signals.

• Like 2

I frickin' love Signals. yes Alex takes a bit of a backseat but that........and don't take this the wrong way........doesn't bother me. to me it is one of the coolest sounding Rush albums ever.

Subdivisons

The Analog Kid

Digital Man

The Weapon

Losing it.

i mean come on.

Mick

• Like 6

Signals was the first Rush release I experienced as a fan . For me its full of win. BTW I love Countdown. probably the only songs I tend to skip are Chemistry and New World Man. I remember wishing at the time waiting for Signals to be released hoping it would sound like the previous two albums . But when I got my hot little hands on it , plugged in my guitar and synths I fell for it big time.
  • Like 1

This topic is alot like the setlists Rush jammed down our throats for 30 years. Its a good album, just them at neither their finest nor edgiest

Before there is any price to pay for trolling here, honestly sorry aboot that as i love all rush, but check out that Tulsa thread, after they passed MP. Nothing else like it in the Rush community, if TRF is any indication.

Edited by Gabrielgil513

AFTK, the song, is boring. Cygnus X-1 is basically noise, with complex time changes. CTtH doesn't do it for me, personally, but I recognize it does for a lot of people. So you're basically talking Xanadu and Cinderella Man (Madrigal is a poor man's Different Strings) against Signals.

Blowout. Signals.

Next we can discuss why 90125 is Yes' best album by miles. :)

All in your opinion.

Which I find interesting because we hear each album so differently haha

• Like 1

Moving Pictures was the end of the "Golden" era in my opinion. Signals was the start of the slow descent into mediocrity from which they never fully recovered. I like the album, but I think that starting with Signals, their better days were behind them. I understand what they were trying to do with it. They had gone as far as they could in the current format and wanted to take things to a new level. It's just not a level that appeals to me as much as where they had been.

Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed much of their work since Moving Pictures, it just doesn't have that magic. It all comes down to which era is preferred by the individual, and I think that Signals was clearly the start of a new direction.

• Like 2

Signals is the "worst" of all the synths albums.

And those who say it isn't synths must have a superior mix than the one I own.

But the album streak from Fly By Night to MP is one of the greatest in history.

• Like 1

Moving Pictures was the end of the "Golden" era in my opinion. Signals was the start of the slow descent into mediocrity from which they never fully recovered. I like the album, but I think that starting with Signals, their better days were behind them. I understand what they were trying to do with it. They had gone as far as they could in the current format and wanted to take things to a new level. It's just not a level that appeals to me as much as where they had been.

Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed much of their work since Moving Pictures, it just doesn't have that magic. It all comes down to which era is preferred by the individual, and I think that Signals was clearly the start of a new direction.

I don't disagree with you all that much. Is Signals better than PeW or MP? Nope. I do think, however, it's better than anything pre-dating Hemispheres. It's more like MP than GUP to my ears, which is why I don't lump it in with the interesting, but different GUP, or the mediocre PoW, or the not good HYF.