Signals!

Rick N. Backer

I remember a bunch of my friends were all bent about Signals when it came out. The first time I listened to it I do admit I was expecting something else, but I fell in love with it.

What the fugg did people want, a re-release of MP?

It's just evidence (among many other examples with respect to other bands) of how difficult it is to follow up a stone cold classic. Or, in Rush's case, several stone cold classics in a row.

Signals is a fine album- as I've said before, the high points of it, I really love. But it does have a couple of disappointing songs on it. In my opinion, of course.

Hemi>AFTK>2112>>>>Signals

Chemistry and Digital Man were the worst things they put out since The Twilight Zone, and the highs of Signals didn't approach the sublime title track of 2112. AFTK has Xanadu (I'd rather go the rest of my life without hearing Signals rather than Xanadu) and Hemispheres is flawless.

Agree, agree, agree. (Except that I would replace Digital Man, in your quote- because I love it- with Losing it...which I don't).

• Like 1

As you all know, I'm on the bottom of the Rush fan barrel (John Rogers will verify this fact - just ask him), but if it makes me very sad that the Rush you all knew and loved for decades is probably finished, I can't imagine how many of you must feel. It must rip you apart inside.

I'm at the bottom too. I know (not think) that after Grace Under Pressure, they didn't make a really solid album for more than 20 years.

2012 - 1984 = 28

And 2012 - 1987 = 25.

We all have our own barometers as to the greatness of Clockwork Angels. :)

• Like 1

Signals was my second Rush album (guess I kind of worked backward from P/G, which I bought upon release) and I've always liked it. After all these years- to me- it's not as good as any albums before- but better than anything after. Yes...including Clockwork Angels.

I think it's better than several albums that came before it, but nothing after it compares.

Better than the debut and CoS, and arguably FBN but nothing else. I like p/g and CA more but nothing else after it compares. Still a disappointment given what had preceded it for six years.

On the whole, it's also better than 2112, the grossly overrated AFTK, and it's probably right about even with Hemis.

GUP was, IMO, the real harbinger of doom.

Three most overrated (by TRF) Rush albums:

Caress of Steal

AFTK

GUP

And you can quote me on That.

The last 3 or 4 times I've read TRFers commenting on Kings (not including your post here) was to say that it was overrated / over appreciated. I actually don't remember the last time I read someone praising Kings. If any album is overrated / over appreciated I might say it's Clockwork. Sure, it's good and tons better than Snakes but it's no Moving Pictures...or Signals...etc.

Signals was my second Rush album (guess I kind of worked backward from P/G, which I bought upon release) and I've always liked it. After all these years- to me- it's not as good as any albums before- but better than anything after. Yes...including Clockwork Angels.

I think it's better than several albums that came before it, but nothing after it compares.

Better than the debut and CoS, and arguably FBN but nothing else. I like p/g and CA more but nothing else after it compares. Still a disappointment given what had preceded it for six years.

On the whole, it's also better than 2112, the grossly overrated AFTK, and it's probably right about even with Hemis.

PoW was when the downhill run started.

Hemi>AFTK>2112>>>>Signals

2112 has a couple of clunkers on the back but Chemistry and Digital Man were the worst things they put out since The Twilight Zone, and the highs of Signals didn't approach the sublime title track of 2112. AFTK has Xanadu (I'd rather go the rest of my life without hearing Signals rather than Xanadu) and Hemispheres is flawless.

No. No. No.

On AFTK, the title track and Madrigal are boring. Cygnus X-1 is often dizzying musically, and pretty bad vocally.

:o :o :o

Madrigal isn't 'exciting' or complex, in ways that I think the title track or Cygnus are, but it has its own energy, and I like it. (And the fade-out of Madrigal followed immediately by the ominous opening of Cygnus is one of the most mind-blowing sonic juxtapositions I've ever heard, in two consecutive songs on an album).

A Farewell to Kings, the song- boring? I have to insist on disagreeing, there.

As with Cinderella Man, I wish the complex jam in the middle of it went on longer than its 30 seconds or so...but it's still a great composition, all around.

;)

• Like 5

As you all know, I'm on the bottom of the Rush fan barrel (John Rogers will verify this fact - just ask him), but if it makes me very sad that the Rush you all knew and loved for decades is probably finished, I can't imagine how many of you must feel. It must rip you apart inside.

I'm at the bottom too. I know (not think) that after Grace Under Pressure, they didn't make a really solid album for more than 20 years.

2012 - 1984 = 28

They released a solid album in 2007.

Three most overrated (by TRF) Rush albums:

Caress of Steal

AFTK

GUP

And you can quote me on That.

The last 3 or 4 times I've read TRFers commenting on Kings (not including your post here) was to say that it was overrated / over appreciated. I actually don't remember the last time I read someone praising Kings. If any album is overrated / over appreciated I might say it's Clockwork. Sure, it's good and tons better than Snakes but it's no Moving Pictures...or Signals...etc.

I think AFTK gets a lot of love around here. Relatively undeserved, IMO. It's better than many of the albums that came out after it, and some that came before it, but I think many people here talk about it as being their apex, or pretty darn close.

it's not as good as any albums before- but better than anything after. Yes...including Clockwork Angels.

I'm much in agreement with this. For me Signals is the end of the Golden Age which is mostly the 70's stuff. Everyone has their opinion on albums from the 70's they find weaker. For 90% of the TRF what you said is the prevailing wisdom.

it's not as good as any albums before- but better than anything after. Yes...including Clockwork Angels.

I'm much in agreement with this. For me Signals is the end of the Golden Age which is mostly the 70's stuff. Everyone has their opinion on albums from the 70's they find weaker. For 90% of the TRF what you said is the prevailing wisdom.

I always got the feeling that after Moving Pictures they didn't know what to do. Changing their sound after the biggest album of their career was really risky and didn't really pan out that well. They got a hit out of it with Subdivisions but the album was quite disappointing at the time because the songwriting quality wasn't as up there as it had been previously.

• Like 1

I think the knew exactly what they were doing. I think they album was their first real struggle to make after The debut and they needed a producer to help define their vision. I feel they were completely lost after they sent Broon on his way.

They recovered amazingly with PoW.

I always got the feeling that after Moving Pictures they didn't know what to do. Changing their sound after the biggest album of their career was really risky and didn't really pan out that well. They got a hit out of it with Subdivisions but the album was quite disappointing at the time because the songwriting quality wasn't as up there as it had been previously.

I didn't feel that way as I wore out vinyl and cassette copies of Signals. I enjoyed it every bit as much as MP and PW. Perhaps it was just being jazzed aboot having new :rush: after experiencing the previous two albums. I love all those songs.

PoW and HYF were so calculated they'd qualify as anal. (But I liked them).

With Signals they knew exactly what they did NOT want to do and that was to make a Moving Pictures clone.

As far as Signals' hits go, New World Man was the song that reached the highest in the charts...for any Rush song ever actually. Not my favorite but a fact's a fact.

2012 - 1984 = 28

It was a turd to be sure, but more watery than solid. Though if you want to go for dense and turgid, I wouldn't argue too much.

Although if I had insomnia issues, I'd probably rate it more highly. Neil's travelogues set to music might have been as interesting.

Edited by laughedatbytime

2012 - 1984 = 28

It was a turd to be sure, but more watery than solid. Though if you want to go for dense and turgid, I wouldn't argue too much.

Although if I had insomnia issues, I'd probably rate it more highly. Neil's travelogues set to music might have been as interesting.

Not a TrueRushFanâ„¢.

• Like 2

2012 - 1984 = 28

Not a TrueRushFanâ„¢.

He is biased and uninformed so therefore absolutely a Rush fan.

2012 - 1984 = 28

Not a TrueRushFanâ„¢.

Go listen to some of that crap from the synth era and pretend it's good.

2012 - 1984 = 28

Not a TrueRushFanâ„¢.

I feel some Presto and shirtless air guitar coming on.

• Like 1

2012 - 1984 = 28

Not a TrueRushFanâ„¢.

I dont have to pretend.

• Like 1

2012 - 1984 = 28

Not a TrueRushFanâ„¢.

I dont have to pretend.

I'm sorry. But you'll have to help yourself with that problem.

2012 - 1984 = 28

Not a TrueRushFanâ„¢.

Not sure what's more repulsive, the visual or the audio.

2012 - 1984 = 28

Not a TrueRushFanâ„¢.

I dont have to pretend.

Its not a problem.

2012 - 1984 = 28

Not a TrueRushFanâ„¢.

I dont have to pretend.

Its not a problem.

The first step in solving a problem is to acknowledge it...you have a long way to go, it seems.

2012 - 1984 = 28

Not a TrueRushFanâ„¢.

Not sure what's more repulsive, the visual or the audio.

Why do you hate fat, pasty white people???

• Like 2

2012 - 1984 = 28

Not a TrueRushFanâ„¢.

I dont have to pretend.

Its not a problem.

The first step in solving a problem is to acknowledge it...you have a long way to go, it seems.

I dont live in denial. I Live in the gool ol' U. S. Of A.