Rush- Metal or not?

Eel Yddeg

So?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Is Rush Metal?

• Yes
    • Some Songs, but not as a whole
    • No

I agree with what Tony R said earlier about rewriting history. Look up old magazines, quite often they put Rush alongside the early metal bands.

That happened a lot back then. If a band had long hair and a guitarist quick with his fingers, they were put on magazine covers alongside Judas Priest and Iron Maiden.

But a lazy magazine editor doesn't make a thing so. :)

Earth to Planet Bard...practically everyone (apart from you) referred to Rush as Heavy Metal in the 70s. That's a fact.

You are either trolling or a muppet. Either way you are a fuckwit.

Name calling is the last refuge of the addled. :)

You might as well call Rush disco.

Bag, meet rocks.

Just because Rush was brought up in Metal Hammer and that stuff doesn't mean they were metal. Back in the '70s, hard rock wasn't a genre term, and what is now hard rock was considered metal. KISS was considered metal, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, i mean, Grand Funk Railroad was considered metal! QUEEN was considered metal!

Yes, Rush was influential on metal, but like Led Zeppelin, they weren't metal themselves. The Zep had a few metal moments (Dazed and Confused comes to mind) but weren't metal. It's like saying the Beatles were heavy metal, or Jimi Hendrix.

Listen to say, Fly By Night or Closer To The Heart, and then listen to say, War Pigs. A huge difference should be apparent.

Edited by Eel Yddeg
  • Like 4

Just because Rush was brought up in Metal Hammer and that stuff doesn't mean they were metal. Back in the '70s, hard rock wasn't a genre term, and what is now hard rock was considered metal. KISS was considered metal, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, i mean, Grand Funk Railroad was considered metal! QUEEN was considered metal!

Yes, Rush was influential on metal, but like Led Zeppelin, they weren't metal themselves. The Zep had a few metal moments (Dazed and Confused comes to mind) but weren't metal. It's like saying the Beatles were heavy metal, or Jimi Hendrix.

Listen to say, Fly By Night or Closer To The Heart, and then listen to say, War Pigs. A huge difference should be apparent.

this. a thousand times over.

Mick

• Like 1

Closer To My Home was metal? :unsure: :cool: ;)

Sound logic, and as it happens, the way it actually was. One would think the difference was apparent, yes. :)

this. a thousand times over.

Mick

You are 31 yrs old. What the f**k do you know about heavy metal in the 70s?

Spare us please.

They were very influential to a lot of what would be considered Metal, post 1980, and in the 70s they were considered Metal. But they definitley moved away from that over the years. They have a Metal attitude in their playing, and parts of the catalogue are Metal , but i dont refer to Rush as a straight up Metal band, like a Maiden or Priest.

Sound logic, and as it happens, the way it actually was. One would think the difference was apparent, yes. :)

Listen to say, Planet Caravan or Solitude then listen to Anthem or 2112.

We can play the game of exceptions all night.

• Like 1

Haha. There's no exception. If you think Planet Caravan is the same timbre, tone, and style as 2112, you need to pass that weed on over here.

Rocks, meet bag.

Haha. There's no exception. If you think Planet Caravan is the same timbre, tone, and style as 2112, you need to pass that weed on over here.

Rocks, meet bag.

Don't be thick. I'm merely demonstrating that saying listen to Fly By Night or Closer To The Heart then listen to War Pigs is a weak argument and you described that as "sound logic".

What a dolt.

Rocks, meet bag.

Don't be thick. I'm merely demonstrating that saying listen to Fly By Night or Closer To The Heart then listen to War Pigs is a weak argument and you described that as "sound logic".

What a dolt.

Few people on here agree with you. I'm among the many dolts. :)

If you can't tell the difference between Paranoid and 2112, your bag really is flowin' over. :)

Rocks, meet bag.

What a dolt.

Few people on here agree with you. I'm among the many dolts. :)

If you can't tell the difference between Paranoid and 2112, your bag really is flowin' over. :)

Are you being deliberately stupid or does it just flow out of you like diarrhoea?

Heavy metal taps into something that few other styles get near, so my personal definition of heavy metal goes beyond studded wrist bands and the other things that were brought up so flip in this discussion .

It is basically impossible to put into words, and if you experienced what metal was in the 1970s, then you know what I mean - and THAT is the bond

It ignited the fuel for the kids who had testosterone surging thru them, but were also the loners, the mocked and the ones who latched on to the fire and spirit that we felt was our own ... Rush was all of this, and their loud, epic songs and stances against conformity was all a big part of it ..

Bands like Celtic Frost and Voivod have come out and spoke of how important Rush was to them, both in terms of the sound and the transformative feeling from the music ..

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 3

Heavy metal taps into something that few other styles get near, so my personal definition of heavy metal goes beyond studded wrist bands and the other things that were brought up so flip in this discussion .

It is basically impossible to put into words, and if you experienced what metal was in the 1970s, then you know what I mean - and THAT is the bond

It ignited the fuel for the kids who had testosterone surging thru them, but were also the loners, the mocked and the ones who latched on to the fire and spirit that we felt was our own ... Rush was all of this, and their loud, epic songs and stances against conformity was all a big part of it ..

Bands like Celtic Frost and Voivod have come out and spoke of how important Rush was to them, both in terms of the sound and the transformative feeling from the music ..

Thank you

For bringing some sense into this discussion

• Like 2

Lots of people generalized bands like Rush and KISS as heavy metal in the 70's. That doesn't mean they were. It means they were being generalized simply because of look and volume. One of the few benefits of hindsight is correcting past misinterpretations.

It's pretty obvious that Rush was never actual heavy metal.

This thread is turning into an episode of Real Housewives Of TRF.

It's a beautiful thing imagining all you sassy gals fighting over metal.

Meanwhile I am over here eating pizza laughing at the pointlessness of all the silly silliness.

It's beautiful.

• Like 1

Lots of people generalized bands like Rush and KISS as heavy metal in the 70's. That doesn't mean they were. It means they were being generalized simply because of look and volume. One of the few benefits of hindsight is correcting past misinterpretations.

School us professor Bard what makes rock music heavy metal??? Sixth grade level please.

• Like 1

Lucas, as usual, you provide some insight and a singularly-expressed point of view (and that is a good thing). I thank you. I always enjoy your posts.

I was...too young to experience it first-hand, as you've laid it out. But not by a whole lot. Close enough that I can almost feel it...and taste it!

I did go through it similarly as I discovered Iron Maiden, Metallica and the like, in the mid '80s, however...just a fraction of a generation removed.

• Like 1

School us professor Bard what makes rock music heavy metal??? Sixth grade level please.

Wow. John Rogers, you sure are advanced.