Rush- Metal or not?

Eel Yddeg

So?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Is Rush Metal?

• Yes
    • Some Songs, but not as a whole
    • No

Anyone who doesn't think that Rush are heavy metal (with a touch of Heavy Prog) is a revisionist douchebag.

You cannot rewrite history. Heavy Metal as a term dates back to the early 70s, whether metal is something different now is irrelevant. Why do you think Iron Maiden were termed "new wave of British Heavy Metal"? They could only be a "new wave" if something had gone before.

Jeez.

Amen brother!

Tony, why don't you post that picture of you taken in the Church of TonyR? You know, the one you used for an avatar a while back? :angel:

http://s29.postimg.org/agy906yx3/image.jpg

A picture says a thousand words! :wub:

In the future, this is how we will resolve any and all Rush disputes. :yes:

Good so Rush is officially a metal band.. next order of business?

• Like 2

Video proves it. What are you going to, do let some tool who listens to R&B and thinks Ray Charles is Heavy Metal or listen to your ears???
  • Like 1

You know when a thread devolves into name calling and personal attacks about opinions it's time to hang it up.

Well, this thread was doomed regardless of how sincere the question was.

Yeah but it seems like so many threads turn out this way regardless of the original subject.

• Like 1

Rush's last two albums [GuP and Signals] have shown a refined, sophisticated sound. But a lot of people still view Rush as a heavy metal band.

I don't really deny it; that's where our roots were-no question about it. We always called ourselves a hard rock band, even way back when heavy metal was first starting, because it just seemed more suitable for what we were doing. We've always been hard to categorize, and people love categorizing bands. We always called ourselves progressive hard rock … I don't think very many heavy metal fans would agree if you called us heavy metal.

Geddy Lee, Guitar Player, Apr 1986

• Like 1

http://i64.tinypic.com/2rqyfci.jpg

Glad to see Lacuna Coil on that list!

Again, just because someone was influential on a genre doesn't mean they are that genre. Sgt Peppers and Pet Sounds were influential on prog rock, but they weren't prog themselves. Even BOB DYLAN was apparently an influence. The Kinks "You Really Got Me" inspired metal, but it's not metal. Neither is Jimi Hendrix.
  • Like 2

Rush's last two albums [GuP and Signals] have shown a refined, sophisticated sound. But a lot of people still view Rush as a heavy metal band.

I don't really deny it; that's where our roots were-no question about it. We always called ourselves a hard rock band, even way back when heavy metal was first starting, because it just seemed more suitable for what we were doing. We've always been hard to categorize, and people love categorizing bands. We always called ourselves progressive hard rock … I don't think very many heavy metal fans would agree if you called us heavy metal.

Welp, that just confirms that Rush is indeed not metal.

• Like 1

Welp, that just confirms that Rush is indeed not metal.

Thus speaketh the mighty Gedster! All hail! :notworthy:

You know when a thread devolves into name calling and personal attacks about opinions it's time to hang it up.

Yeah but it seems like so many threads turn out this way regardless of the original subject.

"Seems like" but not truly. I've visited a dozen+ threads in the last half hour and none of them have become name calling arenas.

• Like 2

"Seems like" but not truly. I've visited a dozen+ threads in the last half hour and none of them have become name calling arenas.

I could change all that easy ;)

• Like 1

I'm just talking about since I've been a member here. I've seen it happen so many times and it just gets worse when there's no tour or album coming up. Now that they're retired it's just stayed that way. The most innocuous threads sink to name calling.

• Like 1

Listen all you **rt k**ockers. Whether you want to admit it or not its possible that Rush may or may not have at some point in time been associated with the outskirts of metal if not a fullblown prog metal band before rhere ever was such a thing.

So there. B****s

()

• Like 1

I'm just talking about since I've been a member here. I've seen it happen so many times and it just gets worse when there's no tour or album coming up. Now that they're retired it's just stayed that way. The most innocuous threads sink to name calling.

I'm talking about the big picture.

What percentage of threads got to name calling? 50%? 20%? 10%? No, probably not even 5%. Are 5 threads out of 100 a lot? I don't know if it is. I do know that there are fewer instances of name calling than 10 years ago.

I could change all that easy ;)

Nut.

Shit, I just called you a name.

:LOL:

What percentage of threads got to name calling? 50%? 20%? 10%? No, probably not even 5%. Are 5 threads out of 100 a lot? I don't know if it is. I do know that there are fewer instances of name calling than 10 years ago.

You're overthinking this. :LOL:

Not really.

I'm telling you you're finding too many negative points and forgetting all the normal, non-name calling conversations you've had and have read on here.

This place wouldn't have survived this long if it were as gloomy as it's sometimes painted.

• Like 2

Not really.

I'm telling you you're finding too many negative points and forgetting all the normal, non-name calling conversations you've had and have read on here.

This place wouldn't have survived this long if it were as gloomy as it's sometimes painted.

I think shes only reading threads where Tony gets mad. Or appears at all.

• Like 2

Not really.

I obviously don't read every thread on here but there has been a lot of negativity going on for the past year or so. There's a good reason that so many people have left.

Not really.

I obviously don't read every thread on here but there has been a lot of negativity going on for the past year or so. There's a good reason that so many people have left.

Yes but there are so many new people that have come to the forum. Some have even returned from long droughts. Its just the nature of the internet.

• Like 2

Anyone who doesn't think that Rush are heavy metal (with a touch of Heavy Prog) is a revisionist douchebag.

You cannot rewrite history. Heavy Metal as a term dates back to the early 70s, whether metal is something different now is irrelevant. Why do you think Iron Maiden were termed "new wave of British Heavy Metal"? They could only be a "new wave" if something had gone before.

Jeez.

Amen brother!

Tony, why don't you post that picture of you taken in the Church of TonyR? You know, the one you used for an avatar a while back? :angel:

http://s29.postimg.org/agy906yx3/image.jpg

oh ****, I had not seen that

Classic

Fantastic pic Tony

• Like 1