Rush- Metal or not?

Eel Yddeg

So?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Is Rush Metal?

• Yes
    • Some Songs, but not as a whole
    • No

We are attempting to define bands and styles that are amalgams of earlier generations, and while eventually any genre will become clichéd and basically a parody of what once was, the trailblazers are the most difficult to pigeonhole because of just that" they were trailblazers and not following the "set rules" laid down by earlier bands ..

YES is progressive, in my mind, because Steve Howe brought bluegrass and country chops into the songs, Rick Wakeman did the incredible by being futuristic while retaining a true sense of classical, Chris Squire carried a bigger bottom than Jennifer Lopez, Jon Anderson brought an angelic and very emotional edge to the vibe, and Bill Bruford was about as natural and comfortable with timing and jazz chops as you will find .... Love Alan White too by the way ..

Ladies and gentlemen, YES

So then you;ve got bands that grew up listening to YES, taking everything from YES and nothing from what influenced YES, all the while thinking "We'll be prog"

So will the real prog band please stand up

What is a band?

Anyone who doesn't think that Rush are heavy metal (with a touch of Heavy Prog) is a revisionist douchebag.

You cannot rewrite history. Heavy Metal as a term dates back to the early 70s, whether metal is something different now is irrelevant. Why do you think Iron Maiden were termed "new wave of British Heavy Metal"? They could only be a "new wave" if something had gone before.

Jeez.

Amen brother!

I concur x1000.

Same.

Though I'm mainly smiling because of "revisionist douchebag". :)

so is it better to be a revisionist douchebag or a blind adoring fanboy?

• Like 1

We are attempting to define bands and styles that are amalgams of earlier generations, and while eventually any genre will become clichéd and basically a parody of what once was, the trailblazers are the most difficult to pigeonhole because of just that" they were trailblazers and not following the "set rules" laid down by earlier bands ..

YES is progressive, in my mind, because Steve Howe brought bluegrass and country chops into the songs, Rick Wakeman did the incredible by being futuristic while retaining a true sense of classical, Chris Squire carried a bigger bottom than Jennifer Lopez, Jon Anderson brought an angelic and very emotional edge to the vibe, and Bill Bruford was about as natural and comfortable with timing and jazz chops as you will find .... Love Alan White too by the way ..

So then you;ve got bands that grew up listening to YES, taking everything from YES and nothing from what influenced YES, all the while thinking "We'll be prog"

What is a band?

THIS

http://www.epicrights.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/KS75-1110rpp.jpg

Anyone who doesn't think that Rush are heavy metal (with a touch of Heavy Prog) is a revisionist douchebag.

You cannot rewrite history. Heavy Metal as a term dates back to the early 70s, whether metal is something different now is irrelevant. Why do you think Iron Maiden were termed "new wave of British Heavy Metal"? They could only be a "new wave" if something had gone before.

Jeez.

Amen brother!

I concur x1000.

Same.

so is it better to be a revisionist douchebag or a blind adoring fanboy?

Well, one is clueless and the other is dickless.

Jeez.

Amen brother!

I concur x1000.

I concur X1,000,000. Because I'm better than you.

What is a band?

THIS

http://www.epicrights.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/KS75-1110rpp.jpg

Maybe that WAS a band but they haven't played together since the late 70's.

Jeez.

Amen brother!

I concur x1000.

Same.

Same haha!

But he is right. It is easy to look at any primitive forms of established music styles and pick holes in their authenticity. But Rush have too strong a hold on the origins of metal and the development of it, and personally I hear a lot of metallic elements, especially from Alex's playing and the often heavy by any era"s standards live shows from the day.

I'm going to play heavy metal :rush: tonight while cleaning up the cigar lounge after I close. Edited by JohnRogers

Tony R - I don't feel I am a blinded fan boy. I just feel Rush embody the definition of being progressive in a way that other bands are not. As I said, that's my personal view and personal definition, and distinct from the more popular usage of the word. But to each his own. :-)

Tony R - I don't feel I am a blinded fan boy. I just feel Rush embody the definition of being progressive in a way that other bands are not. As I said, that's my personal view and personal definition, and distinct from the more popular usage of the word. But to each his own. :-)

For opinions to be valid at TRF they must conform with those of long time members with high post counts. Rookie.

• Like 3

For opinions to be valid at TRF they must conform with those of long time members with high post counts. Rookie.

High as in state of mind when counting the posts?

Listening to minute four of necromancer earlier thinking....to most of the ppl I am around most of the day, ya this is mos def metal...

For the ppl of the sun.

• Like 1

Jeez.

Amen brother!

Tony, why don't you post that picture of you taken in the Church of TonyR? You know, the one you used for an avatar a while back? :angel:

http://s29.postimg.org/agy906yx3/image.jpg

• Like 3

Clearly Rush's music is not the epitome of progressive music, that's just plain daft.

• Like 1

Jeez.

Amen brother!

Tony, why don't you post that picture of you taken in the Church of TonyR? You know, the one you used for an avatar a while back? :angel:

http://s29.postimg.org/agy906yx3/image.jpg

A picture says a thousand words! :wub:

In the future, this is how we will resolve any and all Rush disputes. :yes:

• Like 1

Quite right, John Rogers. If not, you're :smash: :smash: :smash: into submission. If that fails, Mick has a serum that works.

• Like 2

Clearly Rush's music is not the epitome of progressive music, that's just plain daft.

To each his own. :-)

Quite right, John Rogers. If not, you're :smash: :smash: :smash: into submission. If that fails, Mick has a serum that works.

I guess I need my dose of :smash: :smash: :smash: . :D

• Like 1

You know when a thread devolves into name calling and personal attacks about opinions it's time to hang it up.
  • Like 2

Well I learned that the Heavy Metal I grew up listening to is now Light Weight Aluminum like what is used on the Ford F-150.
  • Like 1