Rush- Metal or not?

Eel Yddeg

So?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Is Rush Metal?

• Yes
    • Some Songs, but not as a whole
    • No

I consider myself a metalhead and I've never worn leather studs in my life. So there goes your argument.

Aw, you're a lightweight then.

Pantera crowds would eat you for breakfast.

BTW, equating Rush to the genre where Metallica, Sabbath, and Anthraxx reign is kinda like masturbating with a cheese grater.

It can be done.

But why.

Or the Scorpions or UFO, or AC/DC or Uriah Heap. Slaughter or Cinderella. Purp or the Zep.

Hmmmmmm.

Haha. If Zep or AC/DC are metal, then Rush might as well be disco and New Wave. :)

Get with the program, Dad.

I consider myself a metalhead and I've never worn leather studs in my life. So there goes your argument.

BTW, equating Rush to the genre where Metallica, Sabbath, and Anthraxx reign is kinda like masturbating with a cheese grater.

It can be done.

But why.

Or the Scorpions or UFO, or AC/DC or Uriah Heap. Slaughter or Cinderella. Purp or the Zep.

Hmmmmmm.

Haha. If Zep or AC/DC are metal, then Rush might as well be disco and New Wave. :)

Smh. You are clearly not one to be triffled with.

/sarcasm font

but i do like that metal classic the Big Wheel :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz:

sorry couldn't help it, lol

Mick

The blast beats in Available Light blinded me like the finest moonshine. I couldn't handle the devil's rage in Geddy's vocals either.

• Like 1

but i do like that metal classic the Big Wheel :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz:

Mick

The blast beats in Available Light blinded me like the finest moonshine. I couldn't handle the devil's rage in Geddy's vocals either.

or the Shred-y awesomeness of Time Stand Still.

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

or the Shred-y awesomeness of Time Stand Still.

Mick

I lost all sense of self, hypnotised by the pummelling brutality of Speed Of Love.

More like Speed Of Throat Punches if you ask me!

• Like 1

Rush were never as metal as Def Leppard though. Hemispheres is like a nursery rhyme in comparison to what Def Leppard achieved with the metal masterpiece Pour Some Sugar On Me.

• Like 1

LOL!

Nothing like a good LOL, now, is there?

LOL!

Truly. :)

I had a good LOL earlier when I first saw a TRF thread extolling Rush's devilish hardcore metal tones. :)

Good!

Where have you been, what have you been up to?

It can be done.

But why.

Hmmmmmm.

I'll maintain what I said earlier, yesterday or the day before, I don't know- the heavy elements of Rush's early music were somewhat metal (Alex's amazing shredding during The Necromancer is a case in point. In fact, that may be the only example I might cite). But I don't think that they wanted to be, nor did they consider themselves, a metal band.

And by 2112 and beyond, they were definitely something else entirely.

Not metal.

• Like 1

It can be done.

But why.

Hmmmmmm.

I'll maintain what I said earlier, yesterday or the day before, I don't know- the heavy elements of Rush's early music were somewhat metal (Alex's amazing shredding during The Necromancer is a case in point. In fact, that may be the only example I might cite). But I don't think that they wanted to be, nor did they consider themselves, a metal band.

Not metal.

I can't help but think though that they were somewhat metal in the seventies, their is just something about them that sits more in line with Rainbow or Sabbath than Yes or Tull.

I agree with what Tony R said earlier about rewriting history. Look up old magazines, quite often they put Rush alongside the early metal bands.

Edited by Segue Myles

LOL!

I had a good LOL earlier when I first saw a TRF thread extolling Rush's devilish hardcore metal tones. :)

Good!

Same old stuff, man. Work, play, family. You know.

And yourself?

I see the main forum is littered with threads condemning Neil for his evil decision to retire, and also who's going to replace him.

Sigh. :)

• Like 1

LOL!

Good!

Same old stuff, man. Work, play, family. You know.

And yourself?

I see the main forum is littered with threads condemning Neil for his evil decision to retire, and also who's going to replace him.

Sigh. :)

I know it's annoying.

We all know the replacement is me so why are we still arguing?

It can be done.

But why.

Hmmmmmm.

Not metal.

Metal does not equate to axe crunch tone nor speed. Though many people think that it does.

• Like 1

I agree with what Tony R said earlier about rewriting history. Look up old magazines, quite often they put Rush alongside the early metal bands.

That happened a lot back then. If a band had long hair and a guitarist quick with his fingers, they were put on magazine covers alongside Judas Priest and Iron Maiden.

But a lazy magazine editor doesn't make a thing so. :)

I see tons of metal heads moshing at Rush shows. Leather studs, headbangin', the whole nine yards.

Oh wait...I don't at all. :)

They were still there on mass during the Hold Your Fire Tour and while their numbers dwindled throughout the years some were there for R40. RUSH has metal roots. They chose to evolve.

It can be done.

But why.

Certainly early Sabbath. Black Sabbath sucks but that is another subject. Metallica and Anthraxx ushered in a new sub genre of Heavy Metal called Thrash but you knew that already. Heavy Metal is a broder music genre than you describe...Bon Jovi for Fcuk Sake.

It can be done.

But why.

Hmmmmmm.

Not metal.

Metal does not equate to axe crunch tone nor speed. Though many people think that it does.

What Blue J means, I think, is that Rush were never intentionally metal.

But their early sound and their influence cannot be overlooked.

I see tons of metal heads moshing at Rush shows. Leather studs, headbangin', the whole nine yards.

Oh wait...I don't at all. :)

They were still there on mass during the Hold Your Fire Tour and while their numbers dwindled throughout the years some were there for R40. RUSH has metal roots. They chose to evolve.

It can be done.

But why.

Certainly early Sabbath. Black Sabbath sucks but that is another subject. Metallica and Anthraxx ushered in a new sub genre of Heavy Metal called Thrash but you knew that already. Heavy Metal is a broder music genre than you describe...Bon Jovi for Fcuk Sake.

No, Bon Jovi isn't metal. Bon Jovi is pop rock.

Bands like Poison, the Crue, Night Ranger - hair metal, or glam metal.

True heavy metal - before it got split into sub genres...was a small faction indeed. Sabbath. Priest. Maiden. DP.

People have a hard time identifying the differences between metal and hard rock. But there is one. They do often overlap, no doubt. It depends on the band, and what art tone they're emulating.

I second that Bon Jovi isn't metal. They were pop rock...although the first two records could be argued as being metal.

I second that Bon Jovi isn't metal. They were pop rock...although the first two records could be argued as being metal.

hair metal at best. :)

i judge hair metal pretty harshly. :)

because it deserves it. :)

I'm not the one who wrote Every Rose Has its Thorn, Girls Girls Girls, or Livin' on a Prayer, so it's on them, not me. ;)

hair metal at best. :)

i judge hair metal pretty harshly. :)

because it deserves it. :)

I'm not the one who wrote Every Rose Has its Thorn, Girls Girls Girls, or Livin' on a Prayer, so it's on them, not me. ;)

I love Bon Jovi and those songs hahaha

That happened a lot back then. If a band had long hair and a guitarist quick with his fingers, they were put on magazine covers alongside Judas Priest and Iron Maiden.

But a lazy magazine editor doesn't make a thing so. :)

Earth to Planet Bard...practically everyone (apart from you) referred to Rush as Heavy Metal in the 70s. That's a fact.

You are either trolling or a muppet. Either way you are a fuckwit.

• Like 1