How does Dream Theatre's epic Metropolis II: Scenes From a Memory stack up to 2112?

fraroc

I was originally going to make this a versus topic,m but then I decided "f**k it" and just do a straightforward discussion. Don't get me wrong, I absolutley adore 2112. Despite being a 20 minute song (I usually have no patience for long songs), I found myself entranced for all 20 minutes of it. I'd even go as far as to say it's my absolute favorite song of the pre-AFTK era.

However, I also feel that Dream Theater's epic album Metropolis II is the 2112 of the 21st century. Everything about that album I absolutely adore. I think that the story was an amazing concept and would be absolutley perfect for a broadway production. I've always said that 2112 would make a good movie, I think Metropolis II would make a fantastic heavy metal opera and I'd love to see something like that happen.

So what do you think, does Metropolis II stand a chance against 2112 or do you think 2112 can never be matched?

• Like 1

Scenes is better than 2112, but Scenes is not the 2112 of the 21st century for many reasons:

-no plot similarities

-no thematic similarities

-different kind of format; Scenes is a concept album, not a sidelong epic

-Scenes was released in 1999.

Edited by Day of Light
  • Like 3

I have to give Scenes the edge because it simply has more music to love. I put Clockwork Angels and Grace Under Pressure over 2112 for the same reason, they both simply have more music to love.

2112 is mostly awesome, just cut out The Twilight Zone and you have a masterpiece of an album.

Metropolis is not a 21st century album Fraroc.

I like Scenes but it doesn't come close to matching classic Rush.
  • Like 2

My problem upon relistening to Scenes is that the playing is so over the top I tend to want to scream at them to calm it down and just tell us the story!

I find Scenes great but also over baked. But I am still digesting the record and so far I do find it phenomenal.

As for 2112...I love that sidelong epic. I will only compare the albums based in the concepts. But if I include side 2, I am still certain the strength of side 1 pushes it ahead of the whole of Scenes.

I just don't enjoy the musical "masturbation" (not keen on using that word...but it applies) of DT. Rush always win because they never sound like show offs. They just sound like the greatest musicians in the game, and they do so seemingly without having to show off.

DT are great but always come across like they need to compare each others manhood in order to prove their masculine worth. Just not a fan of the twiddly widdly playing. Bands like Opeth and Mastodon are far better bands because they avoid falling into these arrogant habits.

• Like 3

I have to give Scenes the edge because it simply has more music to love. I put Clockwork Angels and Grace Under Pressure over 2112 for the same reason, they both simply have more music to love.

2112 is mostly awesome, just cut out The Twilight Zone and you have a masterpiece of an album.

This is absolutely hilarious! I get shit for writing a bunch of GHOST threads on here and now look, the RUSH FORUM is turning into a Fanboy Dream Theater Forum!!! Portnoy would be proud of all of you Dreamtheaterheads! Or would that be Dreamtheaterhead2112? This is just another apple to oranges thread. "2112" blows "Scenes" away. Even Portnoy himself would agree. Want to bet? I mean really? Why don't you compare "The Astonishing" to "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway!" Ridiculous!!!

This is absolutely hilarious! I get shit for writing a bunch of GHOST threads on here and now look, the RUSH FORUM is turning into a Fanboy Dream Theater Forum!!! Portnoy would be proud of all of you Dreamtheaterheads! Or would that be Dreamtheaterhead2112? This is just another apple to oranges thread. "2112" blows "Scenes" away. Even Portnoy himself would agree. Want to bet? I mean really? Why don't you compare "The Astonishing" to "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway!" Ridiculous!!!

I have to agree.

I enjoy DT but now my "oooh new band!" enthusiasm has calmed down, I find them too derivative of older bands and whilst for some bands hearing those throwback elements is endearing, DT always sound too close to copy and paste for my liking.

Even the stuff I do enjoy ranks in the middle of my music collection (I enjoy them I won't hate on them because they are not a terrible band in the slightest).

• Like 1

And no matter what i'm feeling about them now.

DT are still in my top bands.

cause i'm sorry the great stuff is amazing

musical jerking off or no.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 3

And no matter what i'm feeling about them now.

DT are still in my top bands.

cause i'm sorry the great stuff is amazing

musical jerking off or no.

Mick

DT are possibly going to be one of those sleeper hits for me. Like Nightwish, I might enjoy them for years before BANG they are firm favourites. I enjoy them in the same way that I felt about Nightwish eight years ago.

• Like 1

And with that bit of blasphemy, you just dicked yourself out of any more solo spots in my songs!

• Like 4

Imo most rush fans feel the band continued to get better after 2112 whereas most dt fans feel they continued to get worse after scenes...

Interesting...

How can anyone compare the work of two childhood best friends and their adopted one-of-a-kind brother, emerging from music industry rejection and endless touring, changing the face of what we know as progressive rock all while flying the middle finger in the face of post-1960s hippie political correctness and record company pressures to a calculated, pretentious recording of douchebaggery of the highest ( lowest ? ) form ??

stop, please

%22Starman%22_emblem_(Rush_%222112%22_album).png

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 4