can we fix Presto's brightness problem?

barry123

Everybody agrees that Presto is overwhelming in treble and lacking in bottom end. The first two seconds of "Chain Lightning" nearly made my eardrums bleed. I wonder if anybody here has used wavlab or similar to tone down the treble and beef up the bass for that album, and if so, did the results sound acceptable or did it just turn into a muddy mess.

Everybody agrees that Presto is overwhelming in treble and lacking in bottom end. The first two seconds of "Chain Lightning" nearly made my eardrums bleed. I wonder if anybody here has used wavlab or similar to tone down the treble and beef up the bass for that album, and if so, did the results sound acceptable or did it just turn into a muddy mess.

I've got an easy fix to this problem. Take the Presto cd out of the player. Insert Clockwork Angels. (You could also use any other Rush album recorded between 1975-1985 or 1993-2013.) Press play. Problem solved!

• Like 2

I've got an easy fix to this problem. Take the Presto cd out of the player. Insert Clockwork Angels. (You could also use any other Rush album recorded between 1975-1985 or 1993-2013.) Press play. Problem solved!

Gina for Prez

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV2em3YsNtk

Have you tried the Audio Fidelity version? It's no miracle worker, but it's slightly more punchy. I haven't got hold of the reissue vinyl yet, but I can't imagine there would be a huge improvement (but there might be some.)

Get Geddy to re record with his Fender Jazz Bass and throw away the Wal.Failing that beg,steal or borrow a monstrous subwoofer.
  • Like 2

First off welcome to the Rush Forum.

Second, heck no! Perhaps as a drummer my ears are shot. I've always been a "brightness" high treble guy! The higher the better right? "HIGH N DRY!"

"Presto" rules! Just adjust the bass and treble levels on your stereo. "Presto" is delicious for my ears.

One no end bass album I love but can't listen to is "And Justice For All."

Also most of Dream Theater's albums are high treble no bass. I can't hear Newsted. I can't hear Myung, but Geddy hops and pops on "Presto!"

"Chain Lightning" is one the best Rush songs ever made. You do know that song was written about Neil and Selena going out in their row boat on a lake near their property at night to watch the sky.

So I get it. Let's play devil's advocate. I absolutely adore "Presto." I think it's perfect. But as many of you know I can't stand "Vapor Trails" and yet many of your LOVE IT!

Hey to each their own.

I love every Rush song ever made through "Counterparts."

Once Neil changed his drumming configuration it was the beginning of the end.

Yep, everything is Neil's fault!! He entered the group and turned RUSH into a FUCKKING JUGGERNAUT! Then he goes and changes his drumming technique and retires. Hence he also RUINED RUSH!

Amen.

Neil, I love you.

Enjoy your family and don't read all of this tripe on a Rush Forum about fans wanting you to come back.

Is Neil the Michael Jordan of drummers? Perhaps he is Brett Favre?

Whatever.

Neil deserves a break.

All Legends retire.

Signed,

Charles Woodson

PS WATCH OUT FOR MY RAIDERS BABY!

Edited by RUSHHEAD666
  • Like 3

Second, heck no! Perhaps as a drummer my ears are shot. I've always been a "brightness" high treble guy! The higher the better right? "HIGH N DRY!"

"Presto" rules! Just adjust the bass and treble levels on your stereo. "Presto" is delicious for my ears.

Also most of Dream Theater's albums are high treble no bass. I can't hear Newsted. I can't hear Myung, but Geddy hops and pops on "Presto!"

"Chain Lightning" is one the best Rush songs ever made. You do know that song was written about Neil and Selena going out in their row boat on a lake near their property at night to watch the sky.

So I get it. Let's play devil's advocate. I absolutely adore "Presto." I think it's perfect. But as many of you know I can't stand "Vapor Trails" and yet many of your LOVE IT!

Hey to each their own.

Yep, everything is Neil's fault!! He entered the group and turned RUSH into a FUCKKING JUGGERNAUT! Then he goes and changes his drumming technique and retires. Hence he also RUINED RUSH!

Amen.

Neil, I love you.

Enjoy your family and don't read all of this tripe on a Rush Forum about fans wanting you to come back.

Whatever.

Neil deserves a break.

All Legends retire.

Signed,

Charles Woodson

They are going to be pretty good....just in time to move to LA next February.

Thanks for asking. I hoped for a serious answer but you never get one from these people. Ugh their sarcasm gets old fast.

• Like 2

Thanks for asking. I hoped for a serious answer but you never get one from these people. Ugh their sarcasm gets old fast.

Isn't it ironic...dont ya think? A little too ironic, dontcha think?

Hey to each their own.

Amen.

Neil, I love you.

Whatever.

Neil deserves a break.

All Legends retire.

Signed,

Charles Woodson

Don't lie Earl. You don't love everything through Counterparts...bee bop or a one drop or a hip hop lite pop wankerlist... ;)

Oh, Peart isn't Jordan or Favre. He's this guy and all that it entails:

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/namor.jpg

Hey to each their own.

Amen.

Neil, I love you.

Whatever.

Neil deserves a break.

All Legends retire.

Signed,

Charles Woodson

Hey to each their own.

Amen.

Neil, I love you.

Whatever.

Neil deserves a break.

All Legends retire.

Signed,

Charles Woodson

Hahaha! You fukking realist! I know! They are gone next season! I have 2016 though baby! ONE LAST RING FOR OAKLAND!

• Like 1