Live versions of songs from Caress of Steel

New_World_Man

Other than "All the world's a stage" and not counting boots do any live albums feature songs from COS? I did a quick scan but didn't see any. I don't have all of RUSH's live albums and am only familiar with three. COS seems to be the least represented album in their live sets. Edited by New_World_Man

Diff Stages Disc 3 has Bastille Day. Does r40 have Lakeside?

It does.

The golden goose (pun intended) would be to find quality versions of Necromancer and Fountain of Lamneth.

• Like 1

Fountain Of Lamneth, never played live.

I didn´t know! Half of the album never saw its live debut then...not even a snippet of it?

There was a rumor for some time that it was played sometime on the 'Down the Tubes' tour, but I think that rumor was eventually ruled out.

Edited by Blue J

These are the same two songs from the album on "All the world's a stage." I thought RUSH liked to appeal to their hardcore fans and do more than just the expected. Or maybe some of those tracks would take too much time to rehearse and those are the easiest to play. Not sure. "Necromancer" would be great to hear live.

These are the same two songs from the album on "All the world's a stage." I thought RUSH liked to appeal to their hardcore fans and do more than just the expected. Or maybe some of those tracks would take too much time to rehearse and those are the easiest to play. Not sure. "Necromancer" would be great to hear live.

You ever think they themselves feel the songs were total missteps and stink and they can't with good conscience play them because they have no desire to do so? They have to play the material with passion and enjoy it every night they play on tour. It took them 30 plus years to finally give us Jacobs Ladder....and many times I read Alex talk about how they just could not recapture it in rehearsals (as a band). Well I guess they finally "found it" with Jacobs Ladder again on R40. I would not be surprised if they have rehearsed bit's and pieces of rare old tunes and it just did not work anymore.

They may have played Tom Sawyer to death.....but every time I have seen them play it. They kill it. They play the song with fire.

I don't want a token nugget to be played half heartily for the sake of giving some fans a song they want at the expense of sucking. That is why Rush are one of the most professional live bands I had ever seen. They had a high standard and stuck to it. They play what they feel they can play at the very highest level and also passion. The band has to love the set-list first and foremost to give us the fans a show we will remember.

They saved the surprises for the albums themselves - live they never really strayed from the rehearsed set list. Essentially if you saw and heard one show from the tour you heard them all. About the only differences between shows were the mistakes.

As far as The Necromancer being great to hear live, it would depend on whether you like the song.

They saved the surprises for the albums themselves - live they never really strayed from the rehearsed set list. Essentially if you saw and heard one show from the tour you heard them all. About the only differences between shows were the mistakes.

As far as The Necromancer being great to hear live, it would depend on whether you like the song.

I saw them do The Necromancer on the Down The Tubes tour. In my opinion, it was the standout song of the show.

• Like 5

In the early days...yeah. Static set.

I only know those June 1977 recordings of the Necromancer from the UK and I really like those. No way I'd want to hear that live now. The second set/encore of R40 was painful enough at times.

You can find it on You tube.

ETA Or above. :lol

Edited by goose

I saw them do The Necromancer on the Down The Tubes tour. In my opinion, it was the standout song of the show.

Cool - was it a headliner show? If so can you recall if they played any or all of TFOL?

Cool - was it a headliner show? If so can you recall if they played any or all of TFOL?

They opened for Ted Nugent. I don't remember hearing TFOL.

Been a Rush fan for 36 years now and this is the first time I've ever heard "The Necromancer" live. As bad as the quality is, it sounded great.

Thanks for posting it!

There's another version of that same show called "Stainless Steel" which is SLIGHTLY better. (might be an earlier generation of the same tape)

They did play a part of it during the 1977 tour, but not the whole thing.... The Fountain of Lamneth is still the "holy grail"!

They opened for Ted Nugent. I don't remember hearing TFOL.

Thanks for the reply. Yea, an opening slot would of held no time for the 19 minute epic. I think you're the first poster I've seen who actually saw the CoS tour - colour me green.

My 1st Rush show was this tour. They opened for Kiss who were huge at that time so a large enthusiastic crowd. Necromancer but no fountain if I remember right. Band put on a great show and I had a blast!
  • Like 4

My 1st Rush show was this tour. They opened for Kiss who were huge at that time so a large enthusiastic crowd. Necromancer but no fountain if I remember right. Band put on a great show and I had a blast!

Welcome to the forum Don

Great first post - what a show that must have been

• Like 1

Fountain Of Lamneth, never played live.

Not true....

I was at Massey Hall when they headlined on the COS tour and they most definitely played PARTS of The Fountain in a weird kind of medley with The Necromancer. The parts they played were even in a different order than the album version but it WAS played.

Take Care

• Like 3

You ever think they themselves feel the songs were total missteps and stink

No. I do sometimes think that we aren't worthy of hearing such greatness and thus they punish us by not playing those epics from COS.

• Like 1