Official PGA Tour Thread

Lost In Xanadu

Scheffler shoots a lights out 5-under and gets to -8 for a five-stroke lead. Lowry shoots -4 to get to -3 overall, good enough for a second-place tie position. Im and Smith both shot +1, but are still in contention if they go low Saturday.

After 36 holes, +4 is what it takes to play Saturday, and Woods played well enough to find himself in the top 20. Could be a fun weekend...

Always is the highlight of the golfing calendar for me, Augusta weekend. I`m delighted to see a strong set of players within some sort of reach of the lead. I`m not familiar enough with him to know whether Scheffler has the cojones to hold them off.

That was some back nine from TW. Nobody can complain that the press don`t look in a different direction when Justin Thomas and Matsuyama were watching Tiger putt on 16, rather than playing out 15. :D

:lol:

Scheffler is #1 in the world right now, so I'm pretty confident he can close out a five-stroke lead, provided weather doesn't play too big a factor

Sure enough, Scheffler is taking care of business so far, sitting at -2 for the day through 13. Smith has made a move with a six-birdie day that has gotten him to -6, only four back through 17.

Smith opens his round birdie-birdie to cut Scheffler's lead to one stroke. On hole 3 Scheffler's approaches finds the front of the tiered green and rolls all the way down. No given he'll get up and down to save par, so Scheff is facing a potential lost 3-stroke lead after just three holes.

He drives a chip into the bank, and it rolls up and IN! Could be the tournament-saving shot.

• Like 1

Have to hope that the two or three shot swing between Smith and Scheffler happens again - around Amen Corner would be nice. I always think you`ve got to get thru 15 with at least two shots to spare, then you can consider things safe (ish). Every Masters I watched growing up seemed to involve someone losing balls in water at 12 and 15.

Wow, Rory looks like he`s learnt some intestinal fortitude overnight. I don`t know how to process this information. :eh:

• Like 1

McElroy with five birdies on the day, thru hole 10 so far. At -4 he is alone in 3rd place.

For more birdies he could post a final score of -8, which would make things interesting.

• Like 1

That`s a really smelly effort off the 12th tee from Smith, splashes and gone. Scheffler just has to hit something green. Which he only just does! Narrowly avoiding the azaleas. Nervy couple, these two. :facepalm:

Smith makes only the second birdie from the field on 11. Should be a cup-shrinker for Scheffler, but the world's #1 hits his testy par putt dead center.

Pin-seeking Smith proceeds to put it in the drink on 12 rather than bail out left.

McIlroy -7 for the day so far. He's making the effort, but running out of holes.

His hole out from the bunker was unbelievable! For everyone else except Morikawa, who put his ball from the same bunker right on top of Rory's. :lol:

-7 is probably just short of a realistic shot at winning. Scheffler may drop two strokes coming in, but three of very doubtful. Smith's wheels have fallen off.

• Like 1

And then the super awkward ceremony in the cabin, LOL

What was awkward about it? I had to turn it off and grill dinner by then.

I always thought it was a little anti-climactic that the jacket ceremony happens in private instead of in front of a cheering gallery. I know it's tradition and dignified and all that but the whole thing is too quiet and stuffy.

• Like 1

First, you have Scheffler, who is less than dynamic in terms of personality.

When asked "How long have you dreamed of this moment?", his answer was "Friday afternoon". :lol: Then, you have the 2021 champion, Morikawa, whose English is limited. He mostly stared out into space, then seemed confused as to what to do after putting the jacket on Scheffler. It was all very odd.

• Like 1

My cable box died a couple of days ago so I can't watch the final round. Following along in here.

You should get one of those small antennas so you can at least watch the over the air channels when that happens.

All that.

I find it awkward every year. It's like, so quiet and strange.

A lot of people look at golf with behavior bordering on reverence. The sanctity and traditions of the game and all that baloney.

Years ago I read an interesting comparison. In golf you stand over an unmoving ball and swing a club while the spectators are as quiet as possible. Compared to baseball where a guy swings at a moving ball coming at him about 90 mph while thousands of people are yelling and still manages to hit it.

My cable box died a couple of days ago so I can't watch the final round. Following along in here.

You should get one of those small antennas so you can at least watch the over the air channels when that happens.

All that.

I find it awkward every year. It's like, so quiet and strange.

A lot of people look at golf with behavior bordering on reverence. The sanctity and traditions of the game and all that baloney.

Years ago I read an interesting comparison. In golf you stand over an unmoving ball and swing a club while the spectators are as quiet as possible. Compared to baseball where a guy swings at a moving ball coming at him about 90 mph while thousands of people are yelling and still manages to hit it.

:lol:

Of course, constant noise isn't distracting. And you don't have to hit the baseball on a specific line to a specific distance...twice as far or more than a home run.

First, you have Scheffler, who is less than dynamic in terms of personality.

When asked "How long have you dreamed of this moment?", his answer was "Friday afternoon". :lol: Then, you have the 2021 champion, Morikawa, whose English is limited. He mostly stared out into space, then seemed confused as to what to do after putting the jacket on Scheffler. It was all very odd.

Matsuyama was the 2021 champion.

• Like 1

They repeat the ceremony outside after the awkward cabin time.

It's borderline creepy cabin time. It's like they're accepting him into a secret cult. I wonder if there's a sacred handshake and secret password involved. :scared:

• Like 1