Why We Don't Love Modern Era RUSH

JohnRogers

How is that??? I didn't start this thread.

Are you suuuure??

Are you not John Rogers?

Ah fracking Tai Shan...I thought this was the disrespectful anti-synth era thread.

• Like 1

Are you suuuure??

Are you not John Rogers?

Ah fracking Tai Shan...I thought this was the disrespectful anti-synth era thread.

Maybe Santa will bring you a TRF compass so you can have a better grip on your surroundings here in the future. :)

;)

• Like 2

HYF is about as far from the way Rush started out as they ever got. It's the most MOTR album they ever recorded. Not to say the songs aren't good, but they're not in any way, shape or form proggy.

Considering the other music of the time that was in a similar 80s style, I would say HYF is very prog
  • Like 1

HYF is about as far from the way Rush started out as they ever got. It's the most MOTR album they ever recorded. Not to say the songs aren't good, but they're not in any way, shape or form proggy.

Considering the other music of the time that was in a similar 80s style, I would say HYF is very prog

Interesting. What particularly about it would you consider proggy?

I guess the main things are: playing with song structure, extended instrumental sections, complex playing...it's not as progressive as most of the pre-MP stuff, but compared to the standard musical fare of the time I would say it is
  • Like 1

I guess the main things are: playing with song structure, extended instrumental sections, complex playing...it's not as progressive as most of the pre-MP stuff, but compared to the standard musical fare of the time I would say it is

It sounds like straight-ahead rock to me. Especially if you compare it to something like Pink Floyds A Momentary Lapse Of Reason, which was released the same year. As far as complex playing I would say it is probably their simplest album as far as that goes. Not to say it's simple in the sense of something like AC/DC, but just simpler than they had been doing.

Edited by EagleMoon

It sounds like straight-ahead rock to me. Especially if you compare it to something like Pink Floyds A Momentary Lapse Of Reason, which was released the same year. As far as complex playing I would say it is probably their simplest album as far as that goes. Not to say it's simple in the sense of something like AC/DC, but just simpler than they had been doing.

Tai Shan is always the first thing that comes to mind when I think of "straight ahead rock" lol

Tai Shan is always the first thing that comes to mind when I think of "straight ahead rock" lol

Ew. I'm not sure what I would call it but I wouldn't call it rock. Pablum maybe. :LOL:

• Like 1

I'm seventeen and I love Clockwork Angels which counts as Modern Era Rush, and I also really really like Presto, Test For Echo, Vapor Trails, and Snakes and Arrows.
  • Like 2

What do I not like about the modern era of Rush which I consider everything post-Neil's tragedy which would be VT to CA:

The music too often sounds disjointed and not that memorable.

The sound is often too muddy with too many layers of distorted guitar and bass (this started as far back as TFE)

And most importantly, Neil's lyrics do make him sound like a bitter curmudgeon. We've had three straight albums now with a "people are mean and religion is scary" theme to most of the songs. Almost none of these lyrics are anything that get stuck in my head or I want to sing along with.

And, sadly, Geddy's voice doesn't do it for me anymore. It's a straining whine instead of a strong delivery. I lose interest in the Clockwork songs as soon as he starts singing because not only can I not understand what the hell he's saying ,but his voice just sort of sucks now and irritates me into skipping to the next song.

Edited by jnoble
  • Like 3

Also, because someone finds it "woefully overrated" on the forum, what are the rest of us supposed to do? Downplay what we think is its greatness? I don't understand comments like that.

The same thing when I post that I love a song/album and someone quotes my post to say that they dislike/hate the same song/album. Can't you just post that you dislike the song/album without quoting my post? Does that mean I'm now supposed to dislike the song/album?

:huh:

All that makes sense. However, this is how many communicate through the internetS. All I can say is to try and not take anything too personally.

Also, because someone finds it "woefully overrated" on the forum, what are the rest of us supposed to do? Downplay what we think is its greatness? I don't understand comments like that.

The same thing when I post that I love a song/album and someone quotes my post to say that they dislike/hate the same song/album. Can't you just post that you dislike the song/album without quoting my post? Does that mean I'm now supposed to dislike the song/album?

:huh:

All that makes sense. However, this is how many communicate through the internetS. All I can say is to try and not take anything too personally.

I don't, and I am also going to try very hard to practice what I preach. :codger:

As much as i love the synth era.

Their peak was signals.

it was a very slow decline after.

Mick

Signals sucked. The next three albums grew and grew and often bettered even MP.

Then Presto dropped, and then the decline happened.

Signals is EPIC. EPIC. Repeat after me. EPIC.

:huh: Is it?

Epic on the same scale as 2112? Or La Villa Strangiato? Or Hold Your Fire?

I've always thought it's a good album, overall. Some of it is excellent. But some of it is...not.

I would appreciate being able to hear it with your ears, honestly. But epic, I don't get.

(See, I did follow your lead- I did say 'epic', a couple of times, in there).

I like how you listed HYF as Epic, lol. I agree but most would really disagree.

but HYF is Epic.

Mick

I was hoping someone would catch that- either to agree with me, or so I could defend it. ;)

Epic it is!

All i heard in my head was

"HYF EPIC?????? What are you on? blah blah blah"

:laughing guy:

Mick

We do have quite a peanut gallery around here... :P

aka "The Non-Hearing Impaired".

:P

#rushgoescasio

casio-history-1.jpg

• Like 3

I truly find the last 3 albums to be the greatest high point in their career after Power Windows (what I cosider the last 10/10). They are heavily inspired and sound like they really enjoy what they're doing still. Lyrically Neil has improved from his slump in the 90's (with some exceptions on S&A) and the songs all sound experimental and interesting to me. While I dislike RtB, T4E, and half of Presto, everything else is really great for a band of their age. We'll never see a new Moving Pictures but it's all worth every penny
  • Like 3

I truly find the last 3 albums to be the greatest high point in their career after Power Windows (what I cosider the last 10/10). They are heavily inspired and sound like they really enjoy what they're doing still. Lyrically Neil has improved from his slump in the 90's (with some exceptions on S&A) and the songs all sound experimental and interesting to me. While I dislike RtB, T4E, and half of Presto, everything else is really great for a band of their age....

As I stated earlier strange opinions and analysis likes yours on this subject is statistically insignificant, like a rounding error. Therefore on this subject you don't really have a voice.

Their peak was signals.

Mick

I've always thought it's a good album, overall. Some of it is excellent. But some of it is...not.

I would appreciate being able to hear it with your ears, honestly. But epic, I don't get.

but HYF is Epic.

Mick

I was hoping someone would catch that- either to agree with me, or so I could defend it. ;)

Epic it is!

Mick

#rushgoescasio

casio-history-1.jpg

goose, I can always count on you to bring the Casio!

HYF is as epic as ever. Stick that in your hat and smoke it! ;)

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 2

Their peak was signals.

Mick

but HYF is Epic.

Mick

Epic it is!

Mick

#rushgoescasio

casio-history-1.jpg

goose, I can always count on you to being the Casio!

HYF is as epic as ever. Stick that in your hat and smoke it! ;)

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/559559c9e4b0af241ec9bf53/55998d66e4b04425d93fdd29/55a01a4de4b0907e97d13734/1436723430186/KEYTAR.gif?format=750w

:D

• Like 2

I truly find the last 3 albums to be the greatest high point in their career after Power Windows (what I cosider the last 10/10). They are heavily inspired and sound like they really enjoy what they're doing still. Lyrically Neil has improved from his slump in the 90's (with some exceptions on S&A) and the songs all sound experimental and interesting to me. While I dislike RtB, T4E, and half of Presto, everything else is really great for a band of their age....

As I stated earlier strange opinions and analysis likes yours on this subject is statistically insignificant, like a rounding error. Therefore on this subject you don't really have a voice.

Make a poll, I doubt I'm much of an outlier

Edited by Union 5-3992
  • Like 1

Just give him a good fat turd to munch on.

Slang term for a large cigar with a Maduro wrapper???

• Like 1

No, nothing fancy. It's just my way of saying eat my beautiful faeces.

Love ya!!!!

Love ya!!!!

Look dude I may enjoy Tai food now and then but I never eat Tai Shan...except the trace amounts in Oscar Meyer hotdogs.

Love ya!!!!

Look dude I may enjoy Tai food now and then but I never eat Tai Shan...except the trace amounts in Oscar Meyer hotdogs.

I am an Oscar Meyer hotdog, ya fool!!

Love ya!!!!

I am an Oscar Meyer hotdog, ya fool!!

Hmmm, is this aboot to get gay?