Is Neil Peart a Selfish Prick?

Union 5-3992

77 members have voted

1. 1. Is Neil Peart a selfish prick?

the motto of this day and age......if you don't have anything nice to say.......spill your bile on the internet.

Mick

you stupid sonuvabitch, I'd expect nothing less out of you.

:laughing guy:

I've never once tried to be a bastion of morality because I know I've said some f***ed up things to other people in my past. Things I've said purely out of anger in the heat of the moment. Things I really don't mean. I'm never going to try and proclaim to be a perfect person because of my mistakes. Part of my personality I can attribute to my bipolar disorder, but in the end, it was still my decision to be an asshole....But please...I DON'T want to hurt anybody physically or emotionally nor do I have the desire to do so.
  • Like 2

I've never once tried to be a bastion of morality because I know I've said some f***ed up things to other people in my past. Things I've said purely out of anger in the heat of the moment. Things I really don't mean. I'm never going to try and proclaim to be a perfect person because of my mistakes. Part of my personality I can attribute to my bipolar disorder, but in the end, it was still my decision to be an asshole....But please...I DON'T want to hurt anybody physically or emotionally nor do I have the desire to do so.

You want to end all this? Here are a few things that you can try:

1) Admitting that you're wrong about Neil Peart, his relationship with the band, and his apparent retirement.

2) Admitting that you have no idea of what Neil Peart is thinking or of what his intentions are.

3) Leave this entire conversation/thread........unless, of course, you can start acting responsibly and rationally.

• Like 1

You want to end all this? Here are a few things that you can try:

1) Admitting that you're wrong about Neil Peart, his relationship with the band, and his apparent retirement.

2) Admitting that you have no idea of what Neil Peart is thinking or of what his intentions are.

3) Leave this entire conversation/thread........unless, of course, you can start acting responsibly and rationally.

1. I was miffed at Neil for a stupid reason

2. I based all my arguments on my personal inference on an interview where Geddy hopes Neil will change his mind. I had no right to make him look like a shitty person for doing so.

3. Despite my bipolar disorder, I will try harder at self betterment. I will own up to all my mistakes and take accountability for them.

FOH, can't remember if you ever answered this but is all Geddy and Alex were asking for was a couple month extension of the R40 tour? If they had their way would they be doing more tours and albums even in their late 60's or were they also fine with the band ending after an extensive final tour?

Neil isn`t being a prick, but he`s being very shorted-sighted about how he is exiting from this incarnation of Rush.

How exactly do you know Neil is being "shorted-sighted." Do you know the intimate details of his personal life or something??

Exactly. The band has been preparing for this moment for years. They've done the last few albums/tours one at a time. They take a break after the tour, and then they decide what they want to do. If everyone is good to go, then they make another album and tour. Today, they're not all good to go. It's time to call it a day.....at least in terms of touring.

This has been the opposite of "short-sightedness". It's been responsible management of a rock & roll career.

Please, I`m not commenting about Neil retiring, but how he ended the touring career of Rush and Co.

Without active and caring Rush fans all the interest, web-site traffic and adulation Neil receives now is going to fade, and fade quickly. His tour demands may been met, but if he is expecting the same attention and adulation in retirement, he should have thought a bit longer.

this is why i expect that neil will eventually be back

Back to doing what, publishing his blog full of selfies? And more importantly when? He's slammed the door then burned the house down regarding touring. As a result the Rush and Co. apparatus has been dismantled.

Rush`s recent success has a lot to do with new and younger fans. In 2 or 3 years, they`ll have moved on....

I don't think Neil cares much about adulation from the fans (not that he doesn't appreciate it; it just doesn't seem to be a driving force for him). I think if he ever gets out there again it will be because he misses playing with his bandmates, or that his daughter wants to see him play again. But this is just my opinion, of course. We can all speculate all we want.

A quick read on his comments in the drum solo article show a man very concerned about positive feedback.

I certainly agree he`ll come back on his own terms, like he left, but I`m speculating that the tone of exit has alienated the very people he`ll need for a successful return.

Will they want to come back....

FOH, can't remember if you ever answered this but is all Geddy and Alex were asking for was a couple month extension of the R40 tour? If they had their way would they be doing more tours and albums even in their late 60's or were they also fine with the band ending after an extensive final tour?

They knew this would be the last tour, and in order to show their appreciation to the fans, all everyone, except Neil, wanted was more dates (another 3 moths), and an overseas leg. Neil would only agree to 35 US shows. The hope was that he'd get back out on the road and have a change of heart, but that never happened...

Not knowing how this would all end, I don't think that there was ever any talk about the band's future. However, Neil made it crystal clear that he would do more touring, ever.

Edited by FOH Lights

They knew this would be the last tour, and in order to show their appreciation to the fans, all everyone, except Neil, wanted was more dates (another 3 moths), and an overseas leg. Neil would only agree to 35 US shows. The hope was that he'd get back out on the road and have a change of heart, but that never happened...

Not knowing how this would all end, I don't think that there was ever any talk about the band's future. However, Neil made it crystal clear that he would do more touring, ever.

people can change their minds :huh:

OK, if that makes you feel better... :D

Neil is not like most musicians who might decide they miss the spotlight or the money. He's wanted to get out of touring for a long time now. Even if he did change his mind, say in 5 years, he'll be too old and out of shape by that point to play even one full Rush show. He's done. The only question remaining is what Alex and Geddy will do and whether or not it will be a joint venture.

I think Geddy and Alex should get into doing soundtracks. I would love to hear a full-length feature movie with music by them.
  • Like 5

I think Geddy and Alex should get into doing soundtracks. I would love to hear a full-length feature movie with music by them.

...and home for dinner by 6pm.

I think they deserve that. :D

Yeah, and I'm pissed at my mentor for retiring and getting out of IT and dropping off the grid.

Becasue i can't pick his brain anymore and ask him for advice.

Not. Totally respect his decisions for his life.

Again, there are other people dependent on him and in the absence of being able to force him what can the other members of the band do?

Clearly Geddy would have preferred to spread the tour further afield, what about his decisions about his life?

A little late to this party but holy cow Tony. If there's one thing I learned from being in a very successful band on a local level, is that it can end at ANY time. You take what you get, but never assume you've got a permanent meal ticket. The people at SRO have had 40 years to develop alternate revenue streams. If they didn't, then shame on them. You had to know that anything after 1997 was bonus time. And there were enough rumblings that this was a farewell tour without being called a "Farewell Tour" that you should've planned accordingly. You took it for granted that they'd tour Europe, and at the moment, it appears to have bitten you in the arse. That's too bad. It was the best tour I'd seen in 30 years. I'd have gone to more than one show, but they skipped Connecticut and the NYC and Newark prices were just more than my market could justify.

• Like 1

Yeah, and I'm pissed at my mentor for retiring and getting out of IT and dropping off the grid.

Again, there are other people dependent on him and in the absence of being able to force him what can the other members of the band do?

Clearly Geddy would have preferred to spread the tour further afield, what about his decisions about his life?

A little late to this party but holy cow Tony. If there's one thing I learned from being in a very successful band on a local level, is that it can end at ANY time. You take what you get, but never assume you've got a permanent meal ticket. The people at SRO have had 40 years to develop alternate revenue streams. If they didn't, then shame on them. You had to know that anything after 1997 was bonus time. And there were enough rumblings that this was a farewell tour without being called a "Farewell Tour" that you should've planned accordingly. You took it for granted that they'd tour Europe, and at the moment, it appears to have bitten you in the arse. That's too bad. It was the best tour I'd seen in 30 years. I'd have gone to more than one show, but they skipped Connecticut and the NYC and Newark prices were just more than my market could justify.

There is someone on this forum who claims to have an "in" into the very heart of the band who clams that Peart has irritated Lee and Lifeson because he wouldn't commit to a farewell world tour which would have added just 3 weeks to the R40 celebrations.

Whilst I am normally cautious about believing anonymous voices on Rush sites claiming to know the inside track but, partially because it confirmed my own suspicions, this rang true.

Just curious mate, you speak as if you have quite a bit of inside knowledge of the band.....would you mind sharing how you come by this?...I'm not wanting any private info about anyone, but you really need to back up what you are saying, or I'm inclined to take it with a large rock of salt.....saying that, what you have been stating recently makes sense......

• Like 1

This is Neil's problem, he thinks that everyone will magically be fine with whatever decision he's going to make. Whether it's his fans or bandmates, it doesn't matter, what Neil wants, Neil gets. I shouldn't be too surprised that he's like this, seeing as how the song Anthem and Something For Nothing sort of summarizes his position on life. "Only your opinion matters, it's your life, do what you want." but is it a bad thing to have things done more democratically? Keep the opinions of people close to you in mind?

That's what annoys me about Rush ending it. This was NOT a democratic decision amongst the trio, this was all Neil.

Dude, if that were the case Rush would've been done touring 30 years ago. He's NEVER liked it, he just understood that at the time, it was necessary. It's no longer necessary. He had the leverage to agree to 35 shows and no more, and he used it. We'd all do the same.

• Like 1

There is someone on this forum who claims to have an "in" into the very heart of the band who clams that Peart has irritated Lee and Lifeson because he wouldn't commit to a farewell world tour which would have added just 3 weeks to the R40 celebrations.

Whilst I am normally cautious about believing anonymous voices on Rush sites claiming to know the inside track but, partially because it confirmed my own suspicions, this rang true.

Not to get all deep and philosophical. But Neil may have looked back at all the time he missed with his first child, and drew a line in the sand that he absolutely would not cross. Here's a link I just came across about her attending her first show.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/neil-peart-daughter-first-rush-show/

My kids are 7,8 & 10. I just can't fault him for not wanting to give another 3 weeks.

The R40 tour was billed as "Likely the last tour of this magnitude." Not the last tour of this magnitude. Not the final tour. Earlier this year, it was pretty clear Rush would exist in some form or fashion in the future.

Neil has given a huge F.U. to his bandmates, crew, and fans by (seemingly) indicating he's done with it forever. It's a very prickish move.

• Like 1

Just curious mate, you speak as if you have quite a bit of inside knowledge of the band.....would you mind sharing how you come by this?...I'm not wanting any private info about anyone, but you really need to back up what you are saying, or I'm inclined to take it with a large rock of salt.....saying that, what you have been stating recently makes sense......

0J9B644.gif

• Like 1