Is Neil Peart a Selfish Prick?

Union 5-3992

77 members have voted

1. 1. Is Neil Peart a selfish prick?

He's totally selfish. How dare he be dedicated to a band for ONLY 40 years, play thousands of shows around the world, write lyrics for hundreds of songs, play drums on all but one album the band ever put out, and then decide to retire at 63 years old. How selfish of him! :eyeroll: Edited by AnEggplant

He's totally selfish. How dare he be dedicated to a band for ONLY 40 years, play thousands of shows around the world, write lyrics for hundreds of songs, play drums on all but one album the band ever put out, and then decide to retire at 63 years old. How selfish of him! :eyeroll:

Yeah, f**k Neil. What a jerk.

• Like 1

They're going out on their own terms, when they decide to,

Actually NO, they're not. They're going out on Neil's terms & time frame, and no one else's. Literally, no one else's.

Neil shouldn't be forced to keep playing until the other guys are done. It's his life, his effort going into this, ultimately, his decision if he wants to keep drumming. He isn't telling the other guys they can't play, he just doesn't want to play anymore.

• Like 1

They're going out on their own terms, when they decide to,

Actually NO, they're not. They're going out on Neil's terms & time frame, and no one else's. Literally, no one else's.

One of the BAND'S terms is that each of them has the right to retire at any time, and that there is NO BAD GUY when/if it happens. They are united in this. They've said so many times.

You're wrong. They ARE going out on their own terms.

• Like 3

Not going to read 7 pages of this again. In case it wasn't pointed out, we should have seen this coming...

"Live for yourself...there's no one else

More worth living for

Begging hands and bleeding hearts will only cry out for more

Well, I know they've always told you

Selfishness was wrong

Yet it was for me, not you, I came to write this song"

The whiners are proving these lyrics both poetic and prophetic.

If choosing to privilege time with your wife and young child is selfish, then humanity has it's priorities askew.

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime
  • Like 2

Not going to read 7 pages of this again. In case it wasn't pointed out, we should have seen this coming...

More worth living for

Selfishness was wrong

If choosing to privilege time with your wife and young child is selfish, then humanity has its priorities askew.

:goodone:

IMO, there are two kinds of selfishness. The honorable kind and the dishonorable kind.

Retiring after 40+ years to live the good life is 100% honorable.

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 2

Neil isn`t being a prick, but he`s being very shorted-sighted about how he is exiting from this incarnation of Rush.

How exactly do you know Neil is being "shorted-sighted." Do you know the intimate details of his personal life or something??

Exactly. The band has been preparing for this moment for years. They've done the last few albums/tours one at a time. They take a break after the tour, and then they decide what they want to do. If everyone is good to go, then they make another album and tour. Today, they're not all good to go. It's time to call it a day.....at least in terms of touring.

This has been the opposite of "short-sightedness". It's been responsible management of a rock & roll career.

Please, I`m not commenting about Neil retiring, but how he ended the touring career of Rush and Co.

Without active and caring Rush fans all the interest, web-site traffic and adulation Neil receives now is going to fade, and fade quickly. His tour demands may been met, but if he is expecting the same attention and adulation in retirement, he should have thought a bit longer.

Neil isn`t being a prick, but he`s being very shorted-sighted about how he is exiting from this incarnation of Rush.

How exactly do you know Neil is being "shorted-sighted." Do you know the intimate details of his personal life or something??

Exactly. The band has been preparing for this moment for years. They've done the last few albums/tours one at a time. They take a break after the tour, and then they decide what they want to do. If everyone is good to go, then they make another album and tour. Today, they're not all good to go. It's time to call it a day.....at least in terms of touring.

This has been the opposite of "short-sightedness". It's been responsible management of a rock & roll career.

Please, I`m not commenting about Neil retiring, but how he ended the touring career of Rush and Co.

Without active and caring Rush fans all the interest, web-site traffic and adulation Neil receives now is going to fade, and fade quickly. His tour demands may been met, but if he is expecting the same attention and adulation in retirement, he should have thought a bit longer.

this is why i expect that neil will eventually be back

I don't think Neil cares much about adulation from the fans (not that he doesn't appreciate it; it just doesn't seem to be a driving force for him). I think if he ever gets out there again it will be because he misses playing with his bandmates, or that his daughter wants to see him play again. But this is just my opinion, of course. We can all speculate all we want.

• Like 1

The band is not a democracy. It never has been. Any member has always had veto power. They never did anything without a unanimous decision

Exactly.

Forgive me, as this is the first time I've waded into this thread, but that's exactly it right there. They are truly the Three Musketeers of rock and roll- all for one, and one for all.

It could have been any one of the three of them who just doesn't want to your anymore. It just happens to be Neil, in this case.

Personally, I believe Alex is not as keen on it as some TRF members would have us believe, either.

I don't think Neil cares much about adulation from the fans (not that he doesn't appreciate it; it just doesn't seem to be a driving force for him). I think if he ever gets out there again it will be because he misses playing with his bandmates, or that his daughter wants to see him play again. But this is just my opinion, of course. We can all speculate all we want.

I believe you are also exactly right!

If he wants to play again, it will be for his own personal reasons- not necessarily for the fans, and likely not for money, either.

More worth living for

Selfishness was wrong

If choosing to privilege time with your wife and young child is selfish, then humanity has it's priorities askew.

Because f**k Alex and Geddy. They don't matter. It's not like they are the founding members of the band or anything. It's not like they wrote the majority of the melodies that Rush is known for. It's not like they want to perform again....

Oh wait.....

Edited by fraroc

More worth living for

Selfishness was wrong

Because f**k Alex and Geddy. They don't matter. It's not like they are the founding members of the band or anything. It's not like they wrote the majority of the melodies that Rush is known for. It's not like they want to perform again....

Oh wait.....

So...let me get this straight...because Neil joined a band he didn't found, he should be FORCED to continue his career against his will. Yeah, that sounds awesome. You're a real class act
  • Like 1

More worth living for

Selfishness was wrong

Oh wait.....

You strike me as the kind of douche who would force a friend to go against his will to do what you want him to do.

Rush have been together a long time, he wants to retire. That decision is his, and his alone, and no one has any right to dictate to him how his life should pan out.

Geddy and Alex are welcome to continue in music, the fact if the matter is that Peart has made his own mind up. Lee and Lifeson are much better friends to Peart than I think you could ever be as a fan.

Peart could have retired after all his tragedy, the fact he didn't and lasted so long should surely be enough.

• Like 4

I believe you are also exactly right!

If he wants to play again, it will be for his own personal reasons- not necessarily for the fans, and likely not for money, either.

Ironically, returning "for the kids" is reportedly what Phil Collins is now doing.

http://www.nme.com/news/phil-collins/89340

Doesn't automatically mean the same will happen for Neil, but interesting to see that it has the power to be a motivating factor. :)

More worth living for

Selfishness was wrong

Oh wait.....

You strike me as the kind of douche who would force a friend to go against his will to do what you want him to do.

Rush have been together a long time, he wants to retire. That decision is his, and his alone, and no one has any right to dictate to him how his life should pan out.

Geddy and Alex are welcome to continue in music, the fact if the matter is that Peart has made his own mind up. Lee and Lifeson are much better friends to Peart than I think you could ever be as a fan.

Peart could have retired after all his tragedy, the fact he didn't and lasted so long should surely be enough.

I'm just sick of people that want to give Neil all the credit for "creating Rush" and diminishing Geddy and Alex's contributions. Neil wrote GREAT lyrics, but without a melody, they're just really good poems. Al and Ged wrote the music itself. They are just as much Rush as Neil is.

If Geddy and Lex continue playing rush songs together, I can bet you they're going to be demonized for doing so without Neil.

Edited by fraroc

I'm just sick of people that want to give Neil all the credit for "creating Rush" and diminishing Geddy and Alex's contributions. Neil wrote GREAT lyrics, but without a melody, they're just really good poems. Al and Ged wrote the music itself. They are just as much Rush as Neil is.

If Geddy and Lex continue playing rush songs together, I can bet you they're going to be demonized for doing so without Neil.

Oh, I don't know. I think fans are generally pretty adaptable. If not, tough beans. Lee and Lifeson can do as they please. So can Peart. We're not the boss o' them. Barring some legal constraints about the use of the name or whatever, can can carry on in whatever form they like. Or they can go home and live their lives.

• Like 1

More worth living for

Selfishness was wrong

Oh wait.....

And so what? No band alive has ever made a decision 100% of the fan base are happy with?! And you defending Lee and Lifeson is kind of ironic, considering how much you are moaning about Pearts apparent "selfishness". You pick a side, why not just see the wood for the trees and maintain neutrality?

sorry thought the better of it

Edited by Anthemic

More worth living for

Selfishness was wrong

Oh wait.....

Are you...are you joking?

• Like 1

Even is Neil wanted to stop touring, Alex also had arthritis, do you think he wants to keep going on tour with that pain, even if he did, I wouldn't expect him to last much longer.

No one should be mad that they didn't go to Europe, heck if they didn't do an R40 tour i wouldn't be mad.

Edited by MagicSpree101
  • Like 1