Is Neil Peart a Selfish Prick?

Union 5-3992

77 members have voted

1. 1. Is Neil Peart a selfish prick?

I thought it was partly health related anyway, with Peart's Tendonitis and Lifeson's Arthritis, both of them are finding the 3 hour shows gruelling and painful.

So, No. I see nothing prickish about calling it a day.

• Like 1

The proof that Peart's decision is not totally accepted by the rest of the band is that this was not called "The Farewell Tour"....

The proof that you're wrong: The band has publically stated that they have no interest in doing an official "farewell tour". They consider it cheap and cliche, as so many bands change their minds and do reunion tours.

More proof that you're wrong: Direct quote from Geddy: "There will be no bad guy when the end comes." When Geddy says that no one is a dick, then there's no dick. The only dick is the selfish fan.

Why should some people get to see the last hurrah and not others?

Because that's life. Deal with it. We're lucky that they toured at all. Why not have all fans around the world make demands to have the band tour every continent, just so they can see them one last time? Hell, they should do a full 2-year world tour......NOT.

Did you get the opportunity to see them this tour? Did you never say "if this is to be the last I'm going to get the most I can out of it"?

Apparently you believe I am a dick for stating my opinion but the fact that you cannot see my point of view about touring over here shows who the real dick is.

You are missing a lot of valuable info here Tony. Yeah you have a right to be pissed. But no more right the man has to make his own decisions involving his future as a musician and his family future and well being. So that's not selfish In the slightest bit. YMMV but his decision is the right one. Maybe in the future he will change his mind but I wouldn't expect it at this point. Best bet is to move on and hold those memories dearly.

Yeah, and I'm pissed at my mentor for retiring and getting out of IT and dropping off the grid.

Becasue i can't pick his brain anymore and ask him for advice.

Not. Totally respect his decisions for his life.

Yeah, and I'm pissed at my mentor for retiring and getting out of IT and dropping off the grid.

Again, there are other people dependent on him and in the absence of being able to force him what can the other members of the band do?

Clearly Geddy would have preferred to spread the tour further afield, what about his decisions about his life?

There's the possibility too that musicians in their 60s are approaching that dreaded moment on stage when they simply can't go on - imagine the middle of a show when the pain in your joints is too great to bear and you have to stop the show. It happened to Lemmy not too long ago and he had to stop the show after three songs. Maybe the dread of that happening is not something Peart wants to contemplate.

I'm just speculating like the rest of folks on here, I guess, but the fairest thing I can think of to say is that there are a multitude of factors that influence decisions - physical, psychological and emotional - and not one of us knows Neil Peart.

Much of the music they've given us is priceless and sort of timeless. They've made some mistakes along the way but for the most part they've contributed some really amazing things to my life, which is why I'm a fan of their music to the extent that I am.

I do feel for the folks in Europe and South America and Australia and everywhere else they have fans, but I would hope the disappointment is kept in perspective - "too bad they didn't make it over to see us" - and not some strange personal sense of anger and injustice directed at them - "they owe us; look how we have supported them!" I'm certain that a younger, stronger Rush (okay, Geddy's exempt because he's like the Energizer Bunny or something) would be all over getting on airplanes and touring the world again. I hope the anger is really just some manifestation of that universal feeling of despair that people get old and things eventually come to an end.

I hope this last tour video is some consolation to those fans that didn't get to see them (those who haven't already watched the hundreds of youtube videos) - so far it looks like it's going to be pretty great.

• Like 4

Could have been handled better but it's ultimately their decision. I'm just happy I was able to see them when I did.

Ultimately it appears it was Peart's decision.

Whatever. Still same result.

Again, there are other people dependent on him and in the absence of being able to force him what can the other members of the band do?

Clearly Geddy would have preferred to spread the tour further afield, what about his decisions about his life?

Ehh. The only people in the slightest bit dependent on Neil are his wife and young daughter.

• Like 1

Ehh. The only people in the slightest bit dependent on Neil are his wife and young daughter.

That's a bit naive. The band relies on all three wanting to tour, clearly the other two are dependant on Peart's consent.

That's a bit naive. The band relies on all three wanting to tour, clearly the other two are dependant on Peart's consent.

No it isn't. You have a family right??

The proof that Peart's decision is not totally accepted by the rest of the band is that this was not called "The Farewell Tour"....

The proof that you're wrong: The band has publically stated that they have no interest in doing an official "farewell tour". They consider it cheap and cliche, as so many bands change their minds and do reunion tours.

More proof that you're wrong: Direct quote from Geddy: "There will be no bad guy when the end comes." When Geddy says that no one is a dick, then there's no dick. The only dick is the selfish fan.

Because that's life. Deal with it. We're lucky that they toured at all. Why not have all fans around the world make demands to have the band tour every continent, just so they can see them one last time? Hell, they should do a full 2-year world tour......NOT.

Did you get the opportunity to see them this tour? Did you never say "if this is to be the last I'm going to get the most I can out of it"?

Apparently you believe I am a dick for stating my opinion but the fact that you cannot see my point of view about touring over here shows who the real dick is.

I got to see them once this tour. It was great! :haz: When I was at the Show, I firmly believed that it would be the last time, and I was OK with it.

I see your point of view just fine. It's WRONG. I simply disagreed with your opinion, and I gave facts to support my disagreement. I'm sorry you can't handle that.

There's nothing wrong with being disappointed at not seeing them this Tour. There is something very wrong with saying false things about the band or any of the guys in the band.

Almost everybody has a family. They also have commitments outside of the family.

I got to see them once this tour. It was great! :haz: When I was at the Show, I firmly believed that it would be the last time, and I was OK with it.

I see your point of view just fine. It's WRONG. I simply disagreed with your opinion, and I gave facts to support my disagreement. I'm sorry you can't handle that.

There's nothing wrong with being disappointed at not seeing them this Tour. There is something very wrong with saying false things about the band or any of the guys in the band.

Facts to support your disagreement that I can't handle?

Did you ever listen to yourself?

Almost everybody has a family. They also have commitments outside of the family.

To whom? Nearly everyone who works for the band has to find other work when Rush isn't touring. I don't really see how your argument holds any merit.

From what I understand it's not just Neil and even if he is the main reason for wanting to retire so what? I think the band respect the fact that he has certain physical limitations now and also wants to concentrate on raising a young child(a daughter if I'm not mistaken). Anyway, no I don't think he's a selfish prick.

The one thing that is disappointing is there was no major announcement. Their decision to retire from touring(and I believe that's all it is)was whispered in the grape vine. It wasn't like with the Grateful Dead. There was no big announcement. So in that sense it kind of feels like they went out with a wimper and not a bang.

Rush have been a massive part of my life for 40 years. That's longer than I've known my wife, some of my friends, and of course much longer than many of you have been alive. Why should some people get to see the last hurrah and not others? Why should some non fan win tickets to see their final tour but 40 plus year fans get nothing?

The band owes us nothing does it? The one time they could have repaid the loyalty of their incredible fans in full and they fudge it.

Ungrateful and inconsiderate.

They made the music they wanted to make. Some people really enjoyed it and continued to support it, but the band doesn't owe them anything. There was no deal that said 'you buy our albums, and we'll play concerts for you'. They didn't play in your area? Too bad. That sucks, but the band has no legal or moral obligation to play music at all.

Edited by AnEggplant

From what I understand it's not just Neil and even if he is the main reason for wanting to retire so what? I think the band respect the fact that he has certain physical limitations now and also wants to concentrate on raising a young child(a daughter if I'm not mistaken). Anyway, no I don't think he's a selfish prick.

The one thing that is disappointing is there was no major announcement. Their decision to retire from touring(and I believe that's all it is)was whispered in the grape vine. It wasn't like with the Grateful Dead. There was no big announcement. So in that sense it kind of feels like they went out with a wimper and not a bang.

If you mean the original Dead then yes. Jerry died. That was it. He was the one who kept that train going because he didn't want to cheat people out of their livelihoods. There is an inherent problem with this line of thinking. It's a slippery slope but I don't want Neil to just hang on like Jerry. It ultimately led to his undoing. Going out on top is the absolute correct way to go.

If you mean the original Dead then yes. Jerry died. That was it. He was the one who kept that train going because he didn't want to cheat people out of their livelihoods. There is an inherent problem with this line of thinking. It's a slippery slope but I don't want Neil to just hang on like Jerry. It ultimately led to his undoing. Going out on top is the absolute correct way to go.

No, actually I was referring to their recent farewell concerts this year.

I agree with you about going out on top. The thing is from what I understand they are not breaking up. I get the feeling a lot of fans don't like this grey area and would rather have the band just call it quits entirely. However, look at the Beatles. They stopedp touring in 1966 and still had a few more years left in them. A lot of bands seem to do it for the live performances(financial or otherwise)and so just recording and not touring is not an option but to each their own.

Edited by New_World_Man

It has nothing to do with going out on top or hanging on too long. If you love touring and have no other considerations then why sit at home and not do what you love just because you hit a certain age? On the flip side, if you have other considerations (such as young child) you shouldn't worry about the band. No one is stopping geddy or Alex from doing whatever they want to do. They can record, the can produce, they can perform.

• Like 1