Battle Of The Bands 2: Queensrÿche vs. Queen

Super25Smasher

Queensrÿche vs. Queen  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Queensrÿche or Queen?

• Queen
    • Queensrÿche

I think anyone here who has seen many of my posts and threads needn't wonder who I voted for. That being said, I haven't delved into Queensrÿche yet, heck, I think I only know Jet City Woman (which is a great song for guitar hero). But seeing as even the immortal Rush can't top Queen for me, I don't see anything else ever doing so.

I think anyone here who has seen many of my posts and threads needn't wonder who I voted for. That being said, I haven't delved into Queensrÿche yet, heck, I think I only know Jet City Woman (which is a great song for guitar hero). But seeing as even the immortal Rush can't top Queen for me, I don't see anything else ever doing so.

You probably know Silent Lucidity as well. It's possible you've heard Eyes Of A Stranger, Empire, Another Rainy Night Without You and Anybody Listening before.

When checking out Queensryche, make sure you stick with their debut EP through 1995's Promised Land to start out. Avoid pretty much everything released after 1997 and you should enjoy your listening experience just fine. Once Chris Degarmo left, the band was never the same. He was the main creative force and the band's heart and soul. They never recovered from his departure. Even now with a new singer, the band can't recapture what Degarmo brought to them.

• Like 3

You probably know Silent Lucidity as well. It's possible you've heard Eyes Of A Stranger, Empire, Another Rainy Night Without You and Anybody Listening before.

When checking out Queensryche, make sure you stick with their debut EP through 1995's Promised Land to start out. Avoid pretty much everything released after 1997 and you should enjoy your listening experience just fine. Once Chris Degarmo left, the band was never the same. He was the main creative force and the band's heart and soul. They never recovered from his departure. Even now with a new singer, the band can't recapture what Degarmo brought to them.

I agree with pretty much everything you said, but I am cutting them a little slack with the new singer and interested to see how that continues. Are they ever going to release music that tops their early stuff? Heck no, but so far I have definitely been liking the new music, which is more than I can say for most of 1998-2012.

• Like 1

I agree with pretty much everything you said, but I am cutting them a little slack with the new singer and interested to see how that continues. Are they ever going to release music that tops their early stuff? Heck no, but so far I have definitely been liking the new music, which is more than I can say for most of 1998-2012.

True. But with the way the band was talking after they fired Tate, you would think all their problems were solved and that the Ryche of old was returning. At least that's the impression I got from some of the interviews I read. At least they're not a laughing stock anymore now that Tate is gone but they're still a mediocre band without him. They're a better band now that Tate's gone but they're still mediocre.

Edited by J2112YYZ

They were very good, but flagging when DeGarmo left. I never got into Promised or Hear, then after that it just seems murky.

The new guy can't make up his mind whether or not he wants to sound like Tate or Ray Alder.

I'll take Fates Warning over this any day.

Empire or bust, I don't see my mind changing.

I HATE Queen!

So, you voted for Queensryche then :LOL:

Yes. The idea was which you preferred, not which you think is more talented.

I worked in a record store for a few years in the 80's and played the shit out of that Queensryche EP when it came out (but not as much as Grace & PW). Also saw Mindcrime live so yeah I like Queensryche. Still voted Queen without a second thought.
  • Like 1

Which do you prefer? I'm going with Queensrÿche! Operation Mindcrime is one of my favorite albums ever!

Indeed! I used to have Mind crime memorized. "You know too much for your own good..."

I did too!

"Kill her. That's all you have to do."

"Kill Mary?"

"She's a risk, and get the priest as well."

• Like 1

Yep. Queensrche for me til about Empire then I'm done.

Queens career is more significant by far. It just cannot be denied or else your just big a big ol dickhead.

I guess I'm a big ol' dickhead, then.

If you asked me in 2015, when this thread was created. I would have picked Queensrÿche, probably my second favorite band after RUSH. I'm surprised to see that I had not responded. If you ask me today, Queen wins. In recent years I've done a deeper dive on Queen. There is a freshness that comes from that. Also until recently I had not given post-Tate Queensrÿche any attention.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheAccountant said:

Don't care much for Queen and Queensryche put out Empire which is very good album.  Plus QR released the song Queen of the Ryche which is excellent (although the cover by Unleash the Archers is far better).  Easy vote for QR for me.

I'll be honest, I haven't felt the way I did about Queen when I wrote this post in a long time. They're a classic band with immense talent and some brilliant songs. That said, Queensryche is much more my style, and I'd rather listen to them. I absolutely understand why Queen are considered legendary, and have the great reputation they do.

• Like 2