Did anyone on here buy the debut record when it first was released?

AnEggplant

No - I don't go back that far. My older sister had ATWAS which I loved, but being young with limited funds and mobility - taking a trip to the big city and buying an album was a big deal for me back then, I didn't have a good opportunity to buy another Rush album until Archives came out - what a treat - three records in one fell swoop.

Finally I would get to hear those songs that I saw listed on the inside gate fold of ATWAS. What was a song called "Didacts and Narpets" going to sound like? Before and After? Rivendell? Ah - the days of delayed gratification. I think this is one of the reasons for my continued dedication to the band. I wanted those first 4 albums so bad, and as a 10 year old living out in the country, just didn't have access to them. None of my classmates were interested in rock music yet so I just bided my time, saved up my birthday money and plunked down the $12.99 plus tax (a chunk of change to be sure but 3 albums all at once!!!) and voila! Life long Rush fan created, and yes that's the very Archives record as my avatar purchased in June of 1978

• Like 3

Fukk.

I wa 6 years old. My dad took me to an Oakland A's World Series game. I have a Sal Bando foul ball.

No clue about Rush.

I learned about ELP before Rush. "Brain Salad Surgery."

My parents had it on LP.

I loved the die cut sleeve so I played it.

It blew my mind. Had no clue about it.

Fuckk it.

Ladies and gentlemeeeen...,

Emerson!

Lake!

And Palmer!

(Peter Gunn theme)

YOU RULE!

Hours listening to that song

I remember going to the drive-in theater back in the 70s and seeing a documentary on Emerson Lake and Palmer. I don't remember what it was called but I remember how fascinating it was to see all of the old grainy shots of them in concert. It was on a triple bill of movies with Woodstock and an Elton John documentary.

• Like 3

My parents werent even born yet or were not even a year old. That gives you an idea

Same boat. The debut was already a year old by the time my dad was born.

1980 for me, I was 16 and had bought Hemispheres and Waves earlier in the year. I bought "archives" on vinyl which was a 3 LP set, then 2112, ATWAS and Kings shortly after.... Seems like yesterday, great memories. Edited by Duke1

Well I bought the first album just before FBN came out. I remember being very surprised by how quickly FBN was released right after I made my first purchase. If I remember correctly COS came less than a year later. I made weekly trips to Sam the Recordman in downtown Toronto back then. I was into Rush very early on when Working Man and In the Mood were on the radio, but not early enough to grab a Moon records copy.
  • Like 2

Syrinx - I have a question. Were you aware that there was a Moon Records version of the first album, and was it sought after by fans back then? Were used record stores charging a collector price for that item? My first recollection of seeing the first single in a plastic bag stapled to the wall of a Sam the Record man back in the late seventies. I asked the guy how much and he said not for sale, just a show piece.

Well I bought the first album just before FBN came out. I remember being very surprised by how quickly FBN was released right after I made my first purchase. If I remember correctly COS came less than a year later. I made weekly trips to Sam the Recordman in downtown Toronto back then. I was into Rush very early on when Working Man and In the Mood were on the radio, but not early enough to grab a Moon records copy.

Congratulations! You're one of the lucky few.

Edited by AnEggplant

It is amazing how productive bands were back then - writing, recording, and touring - and constantly putting out not only some of the best music of the time, but some of the most exciting of their careers ..

Although they ultimately went in different directions, RUSH and KISS will forever be linked to those early days from 1974 to 1976 touring together and evolving to what each would become ..

From 1974 to 1976, between those two bands we got 9 studio albums and 2 of the best live albums ever ... That is amazing dedication

• Like 2

It is amazing how productive bands were back then - writing, recording, and touring - and constantly putting out not only some of the best music of the time, but some of the most exciting of their careers ..

Although they ultimately went in different directions, RUSH and KISS will forever be linked to those early days from 1974 to 1976 touring together and evolving to what each would become ..

From 1974 to 1976, between those two bands we got 9 studio albums and 2 of the best live albums ever ... That is amazing dedication

It really is incredible- Fly By Night, Caress of Steel, and 2112 were all released in a span of 13 months.

• Like 1

It really is incredible- Fly By Night, Caress of Steel, and 2112 were all released in a span of 13 months.

What is so amazing about that is some bands will have songs from their early ( unsigned ) days still unrecorded or laying around that make it to a 3rd or 4th album

RUSH was constantly evolving and growing, and didn't seem to rely on going back to the well for material

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

What is so amazing about that is some bands will have songs from their early ( unsigned ) days still unrecorded or laying around that make it to a 3rd or 4th album

RUSH was constantly evolving and growing, and didn't seem to rely on going back to the well for material

back then they made most of their money from album sales, not touring. so they had to crank out the albums to keep the cash flowing.

not only that, i don't think their recording techniques were as anal as they are today.

Edited by 2112FirstStreet
  • Like 1

back then they made most of their money from album sales, not touring. so they had to crank out the albums to keep the cash flowing.

not only that, i don't think their recording techniques were as anal as they are today.

It is amazing how bands can produce their best work under pressure and when only given limited time and budget

I don't think certain bands realized the magnitude of what they were creating until well after the fact, in part because they were doing it at such a frantic pace ..

I think Tom Scholz and Boston sort of changed this approach - at least they were one of the first bands I can recall to take long periods of time recording albums -

I like Boston, but they completely lack the fire and chutzpah of some of the other hard rock acts of the time

My first copy of the first album was the red label moon records version. I was 14 years old and it was my prized possession. It was quickly worn out by some very crappy turntables back in those days and unceremoniously replaced by the "new" pink labelled version. I have owned at least 4 vinyl an 8 track a couple of cassettes and 2 CD's. (and of course the deluxe re-issue)
  • Like 2

First memory is that I saw it in the store a few years later (1975 or 1976?) but I was into Kiss then. (I'm such an idiot!)

It's a great album for what it is (Listen to it more than Fly By Night that's for sure.)

Shit i was like -23 years old.

One day young people will be telling you the same thing about stuff going on today.

• Like 1

Shit i was like -23 years old.

One day young people will be telling you the same thing about stuff going on today.

Yes, you will be able to say, "I saw them on the R40 tour!" It was so awesome, it has to go down in concert history, whether or not it is the end of something!

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 1

First memory is that I saw it in the store a few years later (1975 or 1976?) but I was into Kiss then. (I'm such an idiot!)

It's a great album for what it is (Listen to it more than Fly By Night that's for sure.)

hey hey, watch your mouth

http://cascadeclimbers.com/plab/data/500/cute-butt-ass-gifs-spank.gif

Syrinx - I have a question. Were you aware that there was a Moon Records version of the first album, and was it sought after by fans back then? Were used record stores charging a collector price for that item? My first recollection of seeing the first single in a plastic bag stapled to the wall of a Sam the Record man back in the late seventies. I asked the guy how much and he said not for sale, just a show piece.

I didn't even know about the Moon record until many years later. I don't think it was highly sought after back then. And yes, bands were so much more prolific back then. When they were hot, lp's would be released every 6 months.

I work with a guy who did. He saw them on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert and immediately went out and bought the album, kind of like when I saw The Cult play She Sells Sanctuary on SNL and immediately went out and bought Love. We were both like, "Kcuf these guys are great" and started calling friends, "Quick, turn your tv to..." He's been a big fan ever since, even through the weird (or lame) years. Is now collecting all the heavy weight vinyl releases, being the office audiophile that he is. Knowing I like Rush he stops by and tells me some Rush-related story. He listened to one of the vinyl releases the other night on his amazing (apparently) analog setup and said it was a religious experience. I think it might have been CoS.
  • Like 1