workingcinderellaman

32 members have voted

1. 1. Why do you love Rush?

• The lyrics
    • The music
    • fifty-fifty
    • 70% lyrics, 30% music
    • 70% music, 30% lyrics
    • Because I just want to hang with the cool kids.

Geddy's bass humping.

Mick

The hair fling was good too.

http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g454/GoddessMika/Rush/tumblr_m0hugldKgX1r68xguo4_400.gif

• Like 6

Because of Geddy´s voice

Because of Geddy´s bass

Because of Geddy´s keyboard

Because of Alex guitar

Because of Alex backing vocals

Because of Neils drums

Because of the lyrics

Because of the music

Because the members seems to be cool guys

Because they have never made a single bad song, the songs are at least good!

Because of.... can´t think of any more reasons, but I am sure it´s lots more!

• Like 6

Because of Geddy´s voice

Because of Geddy´s bass

Because of Alex guitar

Because of Neils drums

Because of the lyrics

Because of the music

Becaue they are rush

• Like 2

70 music, 30 lyrics.

There are a few songs, like Marathon or Mission, that it may be flipped...

I voted the same because to me, although great lyrics are nice, it's the music that makes the song truly unique.

• Like 1

Because of Geddy´s voice

Because of Geddy´s bass

Because of Alex guitar

Because of Neils drums

Because of the lyrics

Because of the music

Becaue they are rush

Exactly!

Rush is just...

...I mean...

It's Rush!

• Like 2

Ged's vocals caught my attention first. "Wow thats different".. Then came the music that followed closely behind. The lyrics honestly came later. At the time I discovered them it really makes sense as their lyrics gained more depth over time and then much much later they didn't :LOL: ... 70% music 30% lyrics I suppose... :) Edited by Narps

It's hard to explain. They're just very unique players, and when the chemistry between the three is just right, what they play perfectly fits together in a way that I don't often hear with other bands. Even when that chemistry isn't quite there, you can admire the precision of their playing.

This is a band whose hearts seem always to be in the right place, and though people do complain about the occasional cheesiness or a lyrical sentiment that doesn't quite work, I still have a kind of soft spot for it. What some people hear as preachy, I for some reason just hear as a point of view. I think their attention to craft puts them in the top tier. I wonder about people's perspective sometimes in criticizing some of the earlier stuff. They were young, but already such incredible musicians. Maybe in 1975 they didn't have all of life's angles figured out, but they wrote (I think) cohesive, earnest, passionate material - and they tend to get faulted for it sometimes. I voted music first, because I am, over and over and over again, blown away by what I hear when I play that 70s and early 80s stuff.

When I listen to something like Dream Theater (generally I try not to), I can only sort of indifferently admire the chops and the precision of the playing, but it's almost too robotic and soulless to my ears. Maybe in some ways they can outplay, but I don't think they can outperform or reach people in the same way.

Just my two pennies (which we don't even use any more up here in the Great White North).

• Like 3

Am i the only 70% lyrics 30% music? I mean, it would be more 60-40 but, ok... I feel that words are the strongest thing, if there is an AWESOME melody but the lyrics is about how great cats are, i cant take serious the song! Its a matter of messages to me... Personally theyve inspired me to a philosophy path so i guess lyrics are important at least FOR ME. Still, i dont pay as much attention to a song if the melody isnt good, but its not as important as lyrics
  • Like 1

I'm not sure why "The lyrics" is an option in the poll. Nobody listens to a band only for the lyrics. If someone finds the lyrics really interesting but dislikes the music, then he doesn't have to listen to the music, he can just read the lyrics :codger:

By the way, I voted "The music", I don't really pay attention to the lyrics, probably because English isn't my first language. Perhaps it would be different if I listened to French artists but I never do.

Oh and great post toymaker, I feel the same way.

Edited by Tuesday's Gone
  • Like 1

It was Geddy's voice that first grabbed me - it was sort of ambiguous, and he sounded like no one else ... Keep in mind this is 1977-78 ... Music at that time was an life changing exciting thing for me at 10 years old .... I had gone from loving Elvis and The Bay City Rollers to KISS, Thin Lizzy and RUSH in a relatively short period of time ..

But what separated RUSH was that their music transported me - at the time, I didn't really comprehend the details and the "why" of it all, but songs like Cygnus X1, and soon after, Jacob's Ladder, were cinematic - it was almost like a visual experience for me ...

My parents had the big "furniture" stereo - this huge behemoth with a turntable and 8 track and sliding doors - and we had a massive silver couch that I would lay on and listen ... I swear, in that living room, I could see the river and waterfall when the discovery of the guitar was made in 2112 ....

RUSH was the first band to do that, and for me, it is a rare quality .... YES is similar, as is Tangerine Dream ... But Geddy's voice has always put RUSH over the top for me ...

Edited by Lucas