I'll probably get banned for this :p (SPOILERS)

andreww

After a busy weekend I finally found a few minutes on Monday morning to sit down and see how the new tour was shaping up. As ticket prices in Toronto are pretty steep, I thought I'd check to see that the setlist was to my liking before dropping a ton of cash on tickets. So I anxiously checked out the setlist from Tulsa and wow, I was impressed. Not thrilled with the tree Clockwork Angles songs that opened the show, but it was all uphill from there! Fantastic! Xanadu, Lakeside Park and What You Doin, all songs I haven't heard live since the 80s! Quickly I check out some picks of the gig and love the stage setup, and Ged and Alex are using double necks again!!!! This is starting to look like a no brainer, Ticketmaster here I come!

Then I downloaded MP3s from the show and to be quite honest, THE BAND SOUNDS TERRIBLE. I can forgive Alex for being a little sloppy, it was the first show after all. But to be blunt, Geddy's voice is terrible. Not just bad, TERRIBLE. Lakeside Park and Xanadu are painful to listen to as a matter of fact. Maybe he just can't hit those notes anymore, but to me it sounds like he's got some kind of hearing loss and just can't find the notes anymore. I've noticed this on the last few tours, that Ged kind of slurs his words when he sings, sounding like someone with absolutely no hearing would sound, but in Tulsa it was worse and he was off key. Hopefully he gets better as the tour progresses but at this point I think I'll pass on going and simply remember those songs with fondness rather than trying to listen to that mess.

Sorry guys, just being honest here.

Solid advice for everyone like you.

NOW FOLLOW IT.

I see fraroc and raise him a Nilsson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02lXLiFsRtE

Ah. I love Harry.

• Like 2

Ok..playing live Tulsa bootleg.

Well, well, well, I must have been deaf the other night! Sounds good.

• Like 1

The moral of this thread: A witch hunt is fine. As long as it is not one for you. ;)

it also sucks if we're talking the song, lol

Mick

Hey hey now. Lets not get carried away... :codger:
  • Like 1

The moral of this thread: A witch hunt is fine. As long as it is not one for you. ;)

it also sucks if we're talking the song, lol

Mick

Hey hey now. Lets not get carried away... :codger:

sorry narps....i dislike that song so much, lol

I made the narps face when i heard it.......... :blink:

Mick

• Like 1

Nah, they sound fine.

Expecting studio sound is a young man's fantasy.

But they used to give a better than studio sound.

Sorry...but the money I could spend on one ticket could be spent on brand new copies of all the official live albums. I know which I'd prefer!

Nah, they sound fine.

Expecting studio sound is a young man's fantasy.

They do sound fine........but it's hard when you've been spoiled on masterful, lol

Mick

Nothing lasts forever. :)

But among the aging and close to retiring classic hard rock acts, Rush is right at the top of the heap. Still the tightest power trio on the planet that's still actively playing. :)

Erm...Muse, King's X...both tighter live :finbar:

LOL. King's X sucks. I don't even know Muse. But I don't have to to know they aren't playing at the level of Rush. :)

Muse is killer. Give absolution a try.

I am not much of a kings x fan but they do not suck. Last i heard their drummer was in poor health.

Yeah Jerry Gaskill has had some heart attacks and it has set them back but he's got an album out and King's X is going back out on tour.

I am not one of those guys who defends bands he likes and is in denial of issues.... as a Van Halen fan one can only imagine the torture I go through listening to DLR nowadays or as a Guns N' Roses fan listening to Axl Rose....

However that being said I genuinely and honestly think Geddy still sounds good. Sure definitely he has less range and struggles in his upper range for now than ever however that doesn't mean what he is singing doesn't sound good. I have very much enjoyed every show I have seen since the S&A tour when Geddy started losing the high range. I think that he is still a great singer and more than capable of delivering vocals that add to the music as opposed to detract

I don't mind Geddy's voice, but I'm not going just to hear him sing. I want to hear my three favorite musicians play their respective instruments. Alex is my favorite guitar player, Neil is my favorite drummer, and Geddy is my favorite bass player. And the fact that they've never been better makes me want to see them even more. To me Geddy's voice is still fine, and I'm sure I'll enjoy the hell out their show even if he had a performance similar to Clockwork Angels Live. The euphoria surrounding the live show and the excitement of seeing such treats like Xanadu or Jacob's Ladder will drown many criticisms. Watching it on TV is a different experience.
  • Like 2

They're in their mid-60's....hello? Simple answer is to move on and not worry about it or to enjoy the bad assery of the concerts and let any vocal issues roll off your back and quit being a crying bitch. Which is what yer doin'...whining like a bitch for no reason over shit you can't control.

Nobody is being forced to come here or go attend a concert. Jesus.

• Like 4

Ok..playing live Tulsa bootleg.

Well, well, well, I must have been deaf the other night! Sounds good.

http://www.brickfieldidiomas.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Eat-Crow.jpg

• Like 1

After a busy weekend I finally found a few minutes on Monday morning to sit down and see how the new tour was shaping up. As ticket prices in Toronto are pretty steep, I thought I'd check to see that the setlist was to my liking before dropping a ton of cash on tickets. So I anxiously checked out the setlist from Tulsa and wow, I was impressed. Not thrilled with the tree Clockwork Angles songs that opened the show, but it was all uphill from there! Fantastic! Xanadu, Lakeside Park and What You Doin, all songs I haven't heard live since the 80s! Quickly I check out some picks of the gig and love the stage setup, and Ged and Alex are using double necks again!!!! This is starting to look like a no brainer, Ticketmaster here I come!

Then I downloaded MP3s from the show and to be quite honest, THE BAND SOUNDS TERRIBLE. I can forgive Alex for being a little sloppy, it was the first show after all. But to be blunt, Geddy's voice is terrible. Not just bad, TERRIBLE. Lakeside Park and Xanadu are painful to listen to as a matter of fact. Maybe he just can't hit those notes anymore, but to me it sounds like he's got some kind of hearing loss and just can't find the notes anymore. I've noticed this on the last few tours, that Ged kind of slurs his words when he sings, sounding like someone with absolutely no hearing would sound, but in Tulsa it was worse and he was off key. Hopefully he gets better as the tour progresses but at this point I think I'll pass on going and simply remember those songs with fondness rather than trying to listen to that mess.

NOW FOLLOW IT.

The OP has an opinion and you react like a spoilt 12 year old. You baby.

I did not agree in any way with the OP's post but found it interesting nonetheless.

Some people here I really find hard to stomach.

Thanks for the Gorden Ramsey link though, funny as shite.

• Like 2

NOW FOLLOW IT.

I did not agree in any way with the OP's post but found it interesting nonetheless.

I agree......but that's TRF. i have developed a nice love/hate relationship with it, lol

Mick

Why don't you take in a KISS show and see how bad Paul Stanley's voice is these days (and yes I am a Die-Hard KISS Fan) and then you'll have greater respect for Geddy's voice which is a hell alot better then Paul's voice which he struggles to sing most songs, so consider yourself lucky that Geddy's voice is still as good as it has been from day one maybe a little ruff but still can pull of all the songs for his age and, and if this is indeed "This is It Tour" then he knows his limitation on his voice, then Paul Stanley thinks he can go on and on!

My suggestions is to go and have fun and not nitpick about Ged's voice and enjoy the Music and the Show. I know I will! :)

NOW FOLLOW IT.

"Then I downloaded MP3s from the show and to be quite honest, THE BAND SOUNDS TERRIBLE. I can forgive Alex for being a little sloppy, it was the first show after all. But to be blunt, Geddy's voice is terrible. Not just bad, TERRIBLE."

you expect me to keep my mouth shut about that? No, I as a fan of this band don't have to take that kind of BS from nobody.

Edited by fraroc

Listening live is so much different than listening to a live recording. Factoring in the adrenaline "rush" and the atmosphere it isn't that hard to see through rose colored glasses. As a matter of fact it is pretty damn hard not to. And so what? It is LIVE!! If there is any one part of the show that should be weighed with understanding it is a voice that is 40 years older! Geddy's voice sounded freaking incredible in Tulsa with those factors if you ask me!

Th OP has a right to his take on it and I respect that. My take was that it was an AWESOME gift just to see them perform after 40 years, flaws included.

Edited by Mystic Rythm
  • Like 1

NOW FOLLOW IT.

"Then I downloaded MP3s from the show and to be quite honest, THE BAND SOUNDS TERRIBLE. I can forgive Alex for being a little sloppy, it was the first show after all. But to be blunt, Geddy's voice is terrible. Not just bad, TERRIBLE."

you expect me to keep my mouth shut about that? No, I as a fan of this band don't have to take that kind of BS from nobody.

So you get to decide what is allowed to be posted on the Internet about rush?

• Like 1

I can't stand the fact that they tune down for Hemispheres! That really sounds HORRIBLE !!! I mean ged couldn't hit the Highs on the CounterParts tour, but it still sounded Awesome! Just like they did to Circumstances in 07 that really hurt because in 1979 THAT was the song that introduced me to them...Circumstances.