DISCUSS! Bands you like more than Rush...

Segue Myles

Just gave Queen's 'Jazz' album a listen. Totally utterly brilliant. Queen in a funny way were very much like rush at times i think.

'More of that jazz' what a track, Brian's an animal on it. Closest rock guitarist i heard to Al, both geniuses w/bags of imagination.

Dead on Time delivers the goods for me. That thunder crackling at the end...whoa.

• Like 2

Before last night's Tulsa show I would have replied saying I like no other band more than I do Rush. Now I don't think there is anyway I could ever like a band more than Rush!
  • Like 2

Let me put it this way. If this was a horse race (and I don't like horse racing at all but it makes for a good analogy) Rush would be way out front with a very significant lead over a pack of other horses. Plus Rush would be cruse control, running effortlessly. Not even trying hard

Well back of Rush would be pack of horses and the number 2 position would be in fairly steady flux. The horses (bands) in this pack would include:

The Who

Journey

Def Leopard (basically because of High n Dry & Pyromania)

Judas Priest

Iron Maiden

Triumph

Nightwish

Savatage (basically due to Hall of the Mountain King & Streets)

Well back of that pack would be another pack, the ranking within this second group, like the first chase group, would also be constantly changing. This group would include:

Dokken (mostly due to Tooth and Nail but to a lesser extent due to Braking the Chains, Under Lock and Key & Back 4 the Attack)

Twisted Sister (only due to Stay Hungry & Come Out and Play)

Styx

REO Speedwagon

Poison

Zepplin (over payed and this hurst the group)

Boston (due to their 1'st album)

The Beatles

Cinderella (only due to their 1'st 2 albums).

Heart (only due to their ST album - don't care for most of their other work)

Scandal (only due to The Warrior)

All of the horses in this chase packs are giving their all and Rush is just in cruse control.

In short - Rush by a mile. Like a lot of other groups - a lot. Some may even be better in some ways than Rush (esp. live). But overall, nobody and nothing beats Rush.

• Like 1

None.

For me it goes:

1 Rush

2 Led Zeppelin

3 Muse

4 Iron Maiden

5 Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds

*Early Queen gets an honorable mention*

Edited by furie
  • Like 1

Just gave Queen's 'Jazz' album a listen. Totally utterly brilliant. Queen in a funny way were very much like rush at times i think.

'More of that jazz' what a track, Brian's an animal on it. Closest rock guitarist i heard to Al, both geniuses w/bags of imagination.

I've always found Jazz to be a bit subdued by production or something, but considering I consider Queen's weakest album (Hot Space) to be vastly underrated, Jazz is still supremely awesome.

Brian May and Alex Lifeson are two entirely different animals, but I could never decide which one is more awesome. May is a true sonic architect (much more than The Edge will ever be), having recorded every single note separately at times just to get the right sound (the guitar jazz band on Good Company or the guitar brass quartet in Dreamer's Ball) while still retaining one of the absolute nastiest tones in all of classic rock (see the entire first album, most of the second album, Brighton Rock, Death On Two Legs, Gimme The Prize, More Of that Jazz, Dead On Time, and many many others). Alex though is much more subtle in his genius, but when you really analyze his playing and the way he makes the sounds he does, you can't help but wonder how the heck he ever thought of that (TSOR, Red Barchetta, Xanadu, the solo in Limelight, tons and tons else). I could go on about Alex, but I think we all know very well how much of a genius he is. One of them is probably my favorite guitarist of all time, but I just can't decide who.

What's perhaps even more astonishing is the fact that they are both regularly underrated guitarists and songwriters outside of their respective fanbases. Everyone goes for EVH, Jimmy Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Slash, etc., but I almost never see Alex or Brian get up near that level of ranking. However, I did see one poll where the final four were EVH, Brian, Jimmy Hendrix, and Alex, and the top two were Alex and Brian (Brian won, but that's besides the point), so that was pretty cool.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 1

Dead on Time delivers the goods for me. That thunder crackling at the end...whoa.

That song is the soundtrack to every school morning for me, lol.

• Like 1

Chalk up another vote for Frank Zappa. Rush is second but by maybe not a mile but a half mile anyways

Quick road map or the person who may be inclined o dip a toe into the deep end of the pool.

Awesome but relatively straight rock albums

Overnight Sensation

Apostrophe '

Zoot Allures

The "Roxy" Band

Roxy and Elsewhere

One Size Fits All

You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Vol.2

Jazz/Rock fusion (mostly instrumental)

Hot Rats

The Grand Wazoo

Original Mothers Underground Freak-out Music

Absolutely Free

Were Only In It For the Money

Uncle Meat

"Guitar" albums (all guitar solos)

Shut Up and Play Your Guitar

Shut Up and Play Your Guitar Some More

Return of the Son of Shut Up and Play Your Guitar

there is so much more but that's a basic primer

Advanced listening - Lather, Thing Fish, Lumpy Money, Civilization Phase III

Edited by taurus
  • Like 1

70's Rush was kind of basic bar band compared to groups like Kansas or ELP who were much more accomplished musicians and could play circles around Geddy, Alex and Neil.

I guess if you only include RUSH and Fly By Night, then yes maybe you're close. I'm not sure how anyone could call their next four albums kind of basic bar band.

70's Rush was kind of basic bar band compared to groups like Kansas or ELP who were much more accomplished musicians and could play circles around Geddy, Alex and Neil.

I guess if you only include RUSH and Fly By Night, then yes maybe you're close. I'm not sure how anyone could call their next four albums kind of basic bar band.

She didn't say they were bar band material, she said in comparison to the more instrumentally accomplished bands their playing was bar band worthy...IN COMPARISON.

And, erm, I disagree with that to be honest. But I get where she is coming from.

Chalk up another vote for Frank Zappa. Rush is second but by maybe not a mile but a half mile anyways

Quick road map or the person who may be inclined o dip a toe into the deep end of the pool.

Overnight Sensation

Apostrophe '

Zoot Allures

The "Roxy" Band

Roxy and Elsewhere

One Size Fits All

Hot Rats

The Grand Wazoo

Absolutely Free

Uncle Meat

One size fits all is a MASTERPIECE !!!!!!!!

Overnight Sensation

Apostrophe '

Zoot Allures

The "Roxy" Band

Roxy and Elsewhere

One Size Fits All

Hot Rats

The Grand Wazoo

Absolutely Free

Uncle Meat

One size fits all is a MASTERPIECE !!!!!!!!

I like Frank Zappa. When he's good, he's enjoyable. Personally, I think he throws everything against the wall. And a lot of it doesn't stick.

She didn't say they were bar band material, she said in comparison to the more instrumentally accomplished bands their playing was bar band worthy...IN COMPARISON.

And, erm, I disagree with that to be honest. But I get where she is coming from.

You should disagree with her. How much more instrumentally accomplished can you get past 2112 or La Villa?

None. But VERY close seconds for me are Maiden, Zeppelin, Dream Theater and The Police.

Dream Theater.... :facepalm: lol

???????

I'm mostly joking, I know a lot of people dig them. I personally don't see the appeal, they really thrive when they write pop songs lol (I'm a big fan of Solitary Shell :LOL: :smoke:). When they do their typical "prog" metal thing I generally lose interest. James LaBrie's voice doesn't suit the style, and I just feel bombarded by technicality. Don't get me wrong , I get off on technical shit, but not at the expense of good songwriting. This has been My 2 Cents on DT lol

If it makes ya feel better. I love them but they've still released some of the worst records i've ever heard, lol

Mick

I find a fair amount of their output to be cringe-worthy. The opening to Scenes From a Memory is hilarious. Terry Brown's hypnotist thing cracks me up and then it segues into the lamest song I've ever heard in my life lol. They tend to try a little hard, in a bizarre attempt to be prog :LOL:

Images and words awake and the first lte disc are the best. After that hit or miss.

i despise labrie. Music is killer.

Its been rush as my fave since age ten. Now 48.

steely dan #2

Ozric tentacles #3

You should disagree with her. How much more instrumentally accomplished can you get past 2112 or La Villa?

Quite a bit actually. Both of those songs are very well put together and awesome in their own right but they're not particularly difficult musically. La Villa is the more difficult of the two but when you compare it to something like Tarkus or Toccata by ELP it's not in the same league. Don't get me wrong, I think Hemispheres was the pinnacle of their prog rock work but even they have said they really pushed and played beyond their own abilities at the time. Geddys comment, not mine.

• Like 2

Quite a bit actually. Both of those songs are very well put together and awesome in their own right but they're not particularly difficult musically. La Villa is the more difficult of the two but when you compare it to something like Tarkus or Toccata by ELP it's not in the same league. Don't get me wrong, I think Hemispheres was the pinnacle of their prog rock work but even they have said they really pushed and played beyond their own abilities at the time. Geddys comment, not mine.

Yeah, and also the bulk of King Crimson's work.

I like ELP. But let's face it, after their 1970s heights they pretty much quietly faded away. In a lot of ways, ELP represents everything that's wrong with prog rock.

• Like 1

I like ELP. But let's face it, after their 1970s heights they pretty much quietly faded away. In a lot of ways, ELP represents everything that's wrong with prog rock.

But at their very best they represent all that is great about prog rock.

We can praise both bands, but both also released some pretty throwaway stuff as well.

But if you think Rush were the very best at what they do, who is to say you are wrong? I personally think Yes were better technically, but I prefer and enjoy Rush a lot more.

• Like 1

In a lot of ways? What ways would that be? I don't think there is anything wrong with prog rock. :)

• Like 1

I almost mentioned them but at the last minute decided not to but I agree with you.

• Like 1

I almost mentioned them but at the last minute decided not to but I agree with you.

I have played two albums so far of KC and both of them left me with my jaw on the floor.

In a lot of ways? What ways would that be? I don't think there is anything wrong with prog rock. :)

Face it, prog rock has a reputation, outside of fan circles, that's not exactly flattering. It can be bombastic, overwrought, pretentious and condescending. Not that's a bad thing! ELP, at times, encompasses the worst of prog rock. Again, I like ELP, but in small doses. But I could listen to Yes around the clock, go figure.

• Like 1

Face it, prog rock has a reputation, outside of fan circles, that's not exactly flattering. It can be bombastic, overwrought, pretentious and condescending. Not that's a bad thing! ELP, at times, encompasses the worst of prog rock. Again, I like ELP, but in small doses. But I could listen to Yes around the clock, go figure.

Yes but those who say it has a bad reputation probably think that punk saved rock music.

Bleh...it was doing fine on its own.

Yes but those who say it has a bad reputation probably think that punk saved rock music.

Bleh...it was doing fine on its own.

Punk rock did save popular music!

• Like 1