DISCUSS! Bands you like more than Rush...

Segue Myles

MORE than Rush??

Surely you jest.

Led Zepplin is a distant 2nd place for me.

Sadly not...Rush are not quite my favourite band, right now they are third to Lacuna Coil and Nightwish.

I can't see the appeal of Lacuna Coil. I bought one of their albums just to see what they were about and they strike me as pale Evanescence imitators.

Except...erm...by the time Evanescence released their first album, Lacuna Coil had already released three albums, and two EP's and performed live all over Europe and the USA, with Billboard magazine making reference to them before Evanescence had even shot their first video.

Yeah I know, but what I really meant was that Evanescence does it better.

• Like 1

MORE than Rush??

Surely you jest.

Sadly not...Rush are not quite my favourite band, right now they are third to Lacuna Coil and Nightwish.

I can't see the appeal of Lacuna Coil. I bought one of their albums just to see what they were about and they strike me as pale Evanescence imitators.

Except...erm...by the time Evanescence released their first album, Lacuna Coil had already released three albums, and two EP's and performed live all over Europe and the USA, with Billboard magazine making reference to them before Evanescence had even shot their first video.

I do enjoy Evanescence, and I find their music more accessible, so I understand. My favourite band is not for everybody.

I have said this before, and I will say it again, I don't think LC and Evanescence are very similar. Both write short, metallic rock songs, both have female singers, but otherwise, to my ears I have never come close to mistaking one for the other, and I was an Evanescence fan first. The thought that LC sounded like Ev never came to my mind until I read reviews online. Before then, I was always taken by the oriental, eastern flavoured textures mixed with a European gothic metal vibe ala Paradise Lost or The Gathering, and occasionally acoustic flavoured Opeth. I also really don't think Cristina and Amy have similar voices.

Which Lacuna Coil album did you purchase, may I ask?

Edited by Segue Myles

I prefer. LC. I really haven't clicked with Eveneecence. they had great singles.

LC make better ALBUMS

did i say that?

i got to lie down, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

I prefer. LC. I really haven't clicked with Eveneecence. they had great singles.

LC make better ALBUMS

did i say that?

i got to lie down, lol

Mick

OI! STAY ON MY SIDE!

Lacuna Coil write amazing albums.

• Like 1

LC make better ALBUMS

did i say that?

i got to lie down, lol

Mick

OI! STAY ON MY SIDE!

Comalies has taken my number 1 spot, BTW.

oh well look for your self.

1. Comalies

2. Karmacode

3. Dark Adrenaline

4. Shallow Life

5. Broken Crown Halo

6. In A reverie

7. Unleashed Memories

Yea broken Crown Halo has fallen a bit.

Still great....but it's below some great albums.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

LC make better ALBUMS

did i say that?

i got to lie down, lol

Mick

OI! STAY ON MY SIDE!

1. Comalies

2. Karmacode

3. Dark Adrenaline

4. Shallow Life

5. Broken Crown Halo

6. In A reverie

7. Unleashed.

Mick

I must admit, BCH has descended to fourth place.

1. Karmacode (I am so pleased this one clicked!)

2. Unleashed Memories

3. Comalies

4. Broken Crown Halo

5. Shallow Life (Deluxe Edition)

6. Dark Adrenaline

7. In A Reverie

All about 8-10/10 for me!

• Like 1

LC make better ALBUMS

did i say that?

i got to lie down, lol

Mick

OI! STAY ON MY SIDE!

1. Comalies

2. Karmacode

3. Dark Adrenaline

4. Shallow Life

5. Broken Crown Halo

6. In A reverie

7. Unleashed.

Mick

2. Unleashed Memories

3. Comalies

4. Broken Crown Halo

6. Dark Adrenaline

7. In A Reverie

Good List too. Karmacode was such an eybrow raiser.

i watched some tracks live and that's what did it.

Mick

• Like 1

LC make better ALBUMS

did i say that?

i got to lie down, lol

Mick

OI! STAY ON MY SIDE!

1. Comalies

2. Karmacode

3. Dark Adrenaline

4. Shallow Life

5. Broken Crown Halo

6. In A reverie

7. Unleashed.

Mick

2. Unleashed Memories

3. Comalies

4. Broken Crown Halo

6. Dark Adrenaline

7. In A Reverie

Good List too. Karmacode was such an eybrow raiser.

i watched some tracks live and that's what did it.

Mick

It just mesmorises me, I love the synths, the eastern vocal flavours, the cryptic lyrics, Andrea sounds amazing, THAT Depeche Mode cover...I really love it.

Live, the songs are terrific!

• Like 1

MORE than Rush??

Surely you jest.

I do enjoy Evanescence, and I find their music more accessible, so I understand. My favourite band is not for everybody.

I have said this before, and I will say it again, I don't think LC and Evanescence are very similar. Both write short, metallic rock songs, both have female singers, but otherwise, to my ears I have never come close to mistaking one for the other, and I was an Evanescence fan first. The thought that LC sounded like Ev never came to my mind until I read reviews online. Before then, I was always taken by the oriental, eastern flavoured textures mixed with a European gothic metal vibe ala Paradise Lost or The Gathering, and occasionally acoustic flavoured Opeth. I also really don't think Cristina and Amy have similar voices.

Comalies

I haven't read any reviews on them, but they sound a lot alike to me, except that LC are a bit more esoteric.

Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 1

MORE than Rush??

Surely you jest.

Comalies

I haven't read any reviews on them, but they sound a lot alike to me, except that LC are a bit more esoteric.

Well, it might grow on you, or it might not. But it's nice that you at least tried! I love both bands, but I have no issue agreeing that Evanescence are the more approachable band.

But in every way possible, I prefer Lacuna Coil. But its great you have an open mind!

• Like 1

MORE than Rush??

Surely you jest.

Comalies

Well, it might grow on you, or it might not. But it's nice that you at least tried! I love both bands, but I have no issue agreeing that Evanescence are the more approachable band.

But in every way possible, I prefer Lacuna Coil. But its great you have an open mind!

Oh sure, I'm willing to try out most anything once. :)

MORE than Rush??

Surely you jest.

Comalies

Same! And unfortunately it is impossible to find something to love in everything!

• Like 1

MORE than Rush??

Surely you jest.

Comalies

Same! And unfortunately it is impossible to find something to love in everything!

Well I had the same kind of problem with Dream Theater. I think they're good musicians but they have major trouble with song structure.

• Like 1

Toto.

Now...some days I truly believe this but something tells me you are teasing! Haha

Lots of bands have albums or songs that I would say are better than Rush, but I find that there are usually not a long string of great albums.

Yes at their best I think surpassed Rush. I like most Yes albums but prefer 70-78.

Genesis had some great 70s and early 80s albums. Losing Steve Jacket was a bigger loss to their sound than losing Peter Gabriel.

Pink Floyd from 70-82.

Kansas from 74-80 with lesser interest ongoing.

I loved the ELP debut and bought most of their albums but have not gotten into them. Saw them live in 92. Feel like they were fantastic players but not quit accessible enough to me.

Supertramp from 74-85.

Styx were pretty good players and very good singers and they wrote great beginnings to songs, but I often get bored in the middle because the playing is just not that interesting or complex.

I like a lot of Steely Dan songs and love the Aja album.

I like a lot of The Police and Sting.

Pat Metheny has some great albums.

Enjoy Jean Luc Ponty from the 70s and early 80s.

The Dave Matthews band impressed me with their musicianship and I have their first 5 albums but then wasn't interested in keeping following them.

Rush is my number one.

Always will be to my grave.

But other bands in the arena with them are:

Pink Floyd

Led Zeppelin

Porcupine Tree

The Black Crowes

• Like 2

Just gave Queen's 'Jazz' album a listen. Totally utterly brilliant. Queen in a funny way were very much like rush at times i think.

'More of that jazz' what a track, Brian's an animal on it. Closest rock guitarist i heard to Al, both geniuses w/bags of imagination.

• Like 2

Lots of bands have albums or songs that I would say are better than Rush, but I find that there are usually not a long string of great albums.

Yes at their best I think surpassed Rush. I like most Yes albums but prefer 70-78.

Genesis had some great 70s and early 80s albums. Losing Steve Jacket was a bigger loss to their sound than losing Peter Gabriel.

Pink Floyd from 70-82.

I loved the ELP debut and bought most of their albums but have not gotten into them. Saw them live in 92. Feel like they were fantastic players but not quit accessible enough to me.

Supertramp from 74-85.

Styx were pretty good players and very good singers and they wrote great beginnings to songs, but I often get bored in the middle because the playing is just not that interesting or complex.

The Dave Matthews band impressed me with their musicianship and I have their first 5 albums but then wasn't interested in keeping following them.

Who the hell is Steve jacket?
  • Like 2

Pink Floyd from 70-82.

Supertramp from 74-85.

Who the hell is Steve jacket?

:LOL:

The guy's in autocorrect Hell probably.

Steve Hackett.

This thread makes no sense to me. If I ever hear a band I like more than Rush, I'll die from too much awesomeness.

Sorry...lol...don't die please!