DISCUSS! Bands you like more than Rush...

Segue Myles

None. But VERY close seconds for me are Maiden, Zeppelin, Dream Theater and The Police.

Dream Theater....:facepalm: lol

???????

I'm mostly joking, I know a lot of people dig them. I personally don't see the appeal, they really thrive when they write pop songs lol (I'm a big fan of Solitary Shell :LOL: :smoke:). When they do their typical "prog" metal thing I generally lose interest. James LaBrie's voice doesn't suit the style, and I just feel bombarded by technicality. Don't get me wrong , I get off on technical shit, but not at the expense of good songwriting. This has been My 2 Cents on DT lol
  • Like 1

None. But VERY close seconds for me are Maiden, Zeppelin, Dream Theater and The Police.

Dream Theater.... :facepalm: lol

???????

I'm mostly joking, I know a lot of people dig them. I personally don't see the appeal, they really thrive when they write pop songs lol (I'm a big fan of Solitary Shell :LOL: :smoke:). When they do their typical "prog" metal thing I generally lose interest. James LaBrie's voice doesn't suit the style, and I just feel bombarded by technicality. Don't get me wrong , I get off on technical shit, but not at the expense of good songwriting. This has been My 2 Cents on DT lol

If it makes ya feel better. I love them but they've still released some of the worst records i've ever heard, lol

Mick

???????

If it makes ya feel better. I love them but they've still released some of the worst records i've ever heard, lol

Mick

I find a fair amount of their output to be cringe-worthy. The opening to Scenes From a Memory is hilarious. Terry Brown's hypnotist thing cracks me up and then it segues into the lamest song I've ever heard in my life lol. They tend to try a little hard, in a bizarre attempt to be prog :LOL:
  • Like 1

Also been a huge Stryper fan for years, along with The 77s, The Choir, and a recent Iron Maiden convert. I find Dream Theater intriguing, Anberlin mesmerizing, and still consider the late Larry Norman entrancing and universal in his appeal.

???????

Mick

I find a fair amount of their output to be cringe-worthy. The opening to Scenes From a Memory is hilarious. Terry Brown's hypnotist thing cracks me up and then it segues into the lamest song I've ever heard in my life lol. They tend to try a little hard, in a bizarre attempt to be prog :LOL:

They do sometimes try to hard, but they are a really good band. I've so far liked their stuff up to an Including Scenes and the last recent albums, namely s/t and Chaos.

???????

Sometimes when I'm listening to them I think I would prefer to be listening to recent Marillion or any Rush. Sometimes when I'm listening to recent Marillion I would want to hear some heavier stuff so I pull out some DT.

Ha

• Like 1

Dream Theater....:facepalm: lol

???????

I get the DT love! Never listen to those who scoff.

I like Rush more than Toto by a hair.

???????

Mick

He used the word segue in the same sentence as lame.

*sobs*

• Like 1

These supercede Rush for me pretty much all the time:

David Bowie

Velvet Underground

Parliament Funkadelic

Grateful Dead

Ween

Prince

Rush is typically interchangeable with these. So on any given day I could like any or all of them better:

Frank Zappa

Pink Floyd

Iron Maiden

Melvins

Beastie Boys

Beatles

Led Zeppelin

• Like 1

These supercede Rush for me pretty much all the time:

David Bowie

Velvet Underground

Parliament Funkadelic

Grateful Dead

Ween

Prince

Rush is typically interchangeable with these. So on any given day I could like any or all of them better:

Frank Zappa

Pink Floyd

Iron Maiden

Melvins

Beastie Boys

Beatles

Led Zeppelin

I've seen Ween like 4 times. I have seen Phish play Roses Are Free 3 times. Ha..Rather see Ween do it. ;) They are pretty good but I love C&C, The Mollusk and White Pepper. Not a fan of their earlier really weird stuff.

Plenty.

Toto(Shut up)

The Band

Dire Straits

Steely Dan

Kansas(70's Kansas beats 70's rush easy)

Queen

I can go more but i'll wait for criticisms on theses, lol

Mick

Whatever happened to Tom Waits with you? :LOL: I think it's time for a new avatar. You could always grab Nicolas Cage ;)

he said bands.

Tom Waits still trumps all buddy, lol

Mick

I'm not super familiar with Tom Waits, but In the Colosseum and New Coat of Paint (the only songs I'm very familiar with) are really f***ing good

I can't do the voice. He sounds like his larynx got run over by a semi.

Joe Bonamassa does a really cool interpretation of Jockey Full Of Bourbon, though.

LOL. Don't listen to Captain Beefheart then!! Use me like an ashtray heart, case of the punks, right from the start!!

Come on, it's a beautiful night for a walk on the beach, wouldn't you say?

Yes, I would say that, I would say that.

Let me start of with a basket of chips.

Then move on to the pollo assado taco.

I would like two pollo assado tacos with one beef chimichanga.

On the chimichanga, I would like a side of sour cream.

I would like tomatoes and onions on my casadia.

For the dessert I would like the ??. I would like extra cinnamon.

Do you make guacamole?

Yes, I do make guacamole.

Uh, I would like a side of guacamole on my Tostitos.

I like to dip the Tositos in the guacamole.

Can I get a basket, I told you about a basket of chips.

I would like a large iced-tea, 2, uh, 2 large iced-teas.

Ok, that'll be $16.07.

Out of $20? Ok, $16.07's your change.

Hi, can I help you?

I would like a basket of chips,

a beef chimichanga with a side of sour cream.

I would like some guacamole on my chimichanga

with a casadia of tomato, onion, and vegetables.

I should like a burrito with beef, beans, and

I would like a carne assado taco.

Could you put some hot sauce on that for me?

No, inside the taco. Not on the side.

Yes, can I have a carne assado taco?

Not a pollo assado, we don't have chicken.

Do you have guacamole?

Can you make me some guacamole?

I have guacamole.

Ok, on my burrito I would like the muchaco beef and the shredded pork.

And some more cheese, please.

Ok, that'll be $22...

Uh, oh yes, I would like two lemonades and one medium iced-tea.

Ok, that'll be $20.07.

Out of $22? Ok, $1.52's your change.

Thanks a lot. Your food will be up. Here, let me get your drinks.

Hi, can I help you? Yes, I would like a basket of chips

I would like a beef chimi...

Umm, what is, what is the, what is the, what is the pollo assado?

That's the chicken.

Ok, what is the carne assado?

That's the beef.

Ok, let me get two carne assado tacos...

Edited by Digital Dad
  • Like 1

Plenty.

Toto(Shut up)

The Band

Dire Straits

Steely Dan

Queen

Mick

Whatever happened to Tom Waits with you? :LOL: I think it's time for a new avatar. You could always grab Nicolas Cage ;)

he said bands.

Mick

I'm not super familiar with Tom Waits, but In the Colosseum and New Coat of Paint (the only songs I'm very familiar with) are really f***ing good

Joe Bonamassa does a really cool interpretation of Jockey Full Of Bourbon, though.

LOL. Don't listen to Captain Beefheart then!! Use me like an ashtray heart, case of the punks, right from the start!!

A lot of people aren't aware that Beefheart was a HUGE influence on Tom Waits.

Come on, it's a beautiful night for a walk on the beach, wouldn't you say?

Yes, I would say that, I would say that.

Let me start of with a basket of chips.

Then move on to the pollo assado taco.

I would like two pollo assado tacos with one beef chimichanga.

On the chimichanga, I would like a side of sour cream.

I would like tomatoes and onions on my casadia.

For the dessert I would like the ??. I would like extra cinnamon.

Do you make guacamole?

Yes, I do make guacamole.

Uh, I would like a side of guacamole on my Tostitos.

I like to dip the Tositos in the guacamole.

Can I get a basket, I told you about a basket of chips.

I would like a large iced-tea, 2, uh, 2 large iced-teas.

Ok, that'll be $16.07.

Out of $20? Ok, $16.07's your change.

Hi, can I help you?

I would like a basket of chips,

a beef chimichanga with a side of sour cream.

I would like some guacamole on my chimichanga

with a casadia of tomato, onion, and vegetables.

I should like a burrito with beef, beans, and

I would like a carne assado taco.

Could you put some hot sauce on that for me?

No, inside the taco. Not on the side.

Yes, can I have a carne assado taco?

Not a pollo assado, we don't have chicken.

Do you have guacamole?

Can you make me some guacamole?

I have guacamole.

Ok, on my burrito I would like the muchaco beef and the shredded pork.

And some more cheese, please.

Ok, that'll be $22...

Uh, oh yes, I would like two lemonades and one medium iced-tea.

Ok, that'll be $20.07.

Out of $22? Ok, $1.52's your change.

Thanks a lot. Your food will be up. Here, let me get your drinks.

Hi, can I help you? Yes, I would like a basket of chips

I would like a beef chimi...

Umm, what is, what is the, what is the, what is the pollo assado?

That's the chicken.

Ok, what is the carne assado?

That's the beef.

Ok, let me get two carne assado tacos...

Hell yeah!!

Just because a band released bad albums it doesn´t mean one can´t be a fan...if the same band that gave us Xanadu also gave us Dog Years, then yes, Dream Theater is entitled to have its share of crappy songs. I don´t care, I´m still a HUGE fan, even though I don´t like some of their songs.

Another close second on my list is Van Halen...the band that changed the game for guitar players...but also gave us Van Halen III !!!

JC, the last time I saw Ween they had a song called The Party or something where Deaner read a thank you letter to someone for inviting them to a party and the wonderful time they had. The whole time I sat there thinking, okay where the hell is the joke here. I mean Spinal Meningitis, taking the piss out of a disease and then they come up with that. Was I missing something?

Plenty.

Toto(Shut up)

The Band

Dire Straits

Steely Dan

Queen

Mick

he said bands.

Mick

Beeffheart's da shit, lol

Mick

JC, the last time I saw Ween they had a song called The Party or something where Deaner read a thank you letter to someone for inviting them to a party and the wonderful time they had. The whole time I sat there thinking, okay where the hell is the joke here. I mean Spinal Meningitis, taking the piss out of a disease and then they come up with that. Was I missing something?

I know exactly the song you're referring to and I've never liked it. Actually, I'm really not a fan of that last album at all. There are 2 good moments (Woman and Man and the one Deaner sings...With My Own Bare Hands), but for the most part it was garbage. IMO, that record their only serious misstep. I love all of their other albums and have seen them more times than I can count...as Ween but also in countless off shoots, sometimes just being Ween under a different name and playing covers and looser material. I'm really lucky to have been relatively local, especially during periods where they thrived artistically.

Edited by Justin Case

Bone Machine is bloody fantastic. Really my last absolute favorite album of his. He's still good mind ya, just that was his last masterpiece.

ohhhh bone Machine. the guy's fantastic. I get why he's a turn off......but man when it connects.......there's nothing like it.

Mick