DISCUSS! Bands you like more than Rush...

Segue Myles

Shhhhhhh.....don't tell......but other prog bands did prog much better then Rush.

Yes, Elp, Genesis.

to name just 3.

Mick

Nightwish...sorry...trolling again!

• Like 1

It's different now looking back. But being on the scene, I was still listening to Quadrophenia. Then Elton John and his Goodbye Yellow Brick Road album. Aja. Frampton Comes Alive. Boston. Kansas. Aerosmith. AC/DC.

They kept coming. One new band after another.

Some of the underdogs were great as well: Trillion, Starcastle, Angel...yes...an amazing decade. One reason I read somewhere for why Trillion's debut album flopped is not because it wasn't great, or that it wasn't cool, but because the rock scene was inundated with an extortionate number of great bands, the sad outcome being that many great acts would never quite break through (I wonder how different it could have been if the music stayed the same, but the internet was available, and new music was easier to find!). Trillion recorded a better debut than Foreigner or Toto. Sadly, events surrounding its release ledd to it never quite making the big splash many predicted it would have.

I forgot to mention Foreigner. Loved them too.

I have no idea who Trillion is.

But what I wanted to say....I'll just write you a pm 'cause it won't go over well here if I post it. :)

Trillion...i wish i could send a playable link!

And I adore Foreigner a massive amount!

Lot,s of trillion stuff on You tube!

How could I forget Emerson Lake and Palmer? I loved them!!

Another band whose work I bought on a whim...I have two albums so far and enjoy them both very much!

Brain Salad Surgery is the pinnacle of their work, IMO. Their first 5 albums are the best. Kind of like Kansas.

• Like 1

Another band whose work I bought on a whim...I have two albums so far and enjoy them both very much!

Brain Salad Surgery is the pinnacle of their work, IMO. Their first 5 albums are the best. Kind of like Kansas.

I'd go with Tarkus as the best and BSS as a very strong second. The drop-off after BSS was severe.

• Like 1

I'd go with Tarkus as the best and BSS as a very strong second. The drop-off after BSS was severe.

Yeah I agree. Tarkus was awesome as well. BSS was ELP's Moving Pictures but they were never able to top it. Maybe they tried to write music for the fans rather than themselves. :)

Edited by EagleMoon

I have Asymmetry as well but I just can't warm up to it. Too much of a departure from what I absolutely love in Themata and Sound Awake. I know everyone's tastes differ but I think those two albums should be required listening for any hardcore Rush fan. :)

(why does the post I am quoting never show up in my response :fuckinputer: )

Edited by dakota2112
  • Like 1

I only liked Lake and Palmer

These supercede Rush for me pretty much all the time:

David Bowie

Velvet Underground

Parliament Funkadelic

Grateful Dead

Ween

Prince

Rush is typically interchangeable with these. So on any given day I could like any or all of them better:

Frank Zappa

Pink Floyd

Iron Maiden

Melvins

Beastie Boys

Beatles

Led Zeppelin

I've seen Ween like 4 times. I have seen Phish play Roses Are Free 3 times. Ha..Rather see Ween do it. ;) They are pretty good but I love C&C, The Mollusk and White Pepper. Not a fan of their earlier really weird stuff.

As a pretty big Ween fan (own every album and have seen them 3 times), the idea of them being better than Rush is pretty ridiculous.

RUSH will always be tops for me, but there are times when I'm not in a Rush mood... more often lately than not...

The following bands, in no particular order, are my top favorites other than Rush

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Nine Inch Nails

Frontline Assembly

Lynyrd Skynyrd

Aerosmith

Van Halen

Led Zeppelin

Styx

Pink Floyd

Edited by psionic11

RUSH is #1 for me...but my other, not-too-far-behind favorites are...

2. Metallica - been a fan since age 10 in early 1993. Sadly, like many kids, I got into them through the Black Album, but eventually worked my way backward to appreciate the albums that came before it. Favorite songs range from Metal Militia (from Kill 'em All) to The Outlaw Torn and Wasting My Hate (both from the highly-criticized Load).

3. Queen - the first rock band I ever got into, at age 9. For almost two years (until I discovered Metallica), Queen was the only band I listened to. Back then I was into mostly just the hits, and then through the years discovered just how diverse their whole catalog is. My favorites always vary, but lately I've really been digging Ogre Battle (from Queen II) and Innuendo (from Innuendo). Favorite albums these days include A Kind of Magic and Sheer Heart Attack. Freddie is still the greatest rock frontman of all time.

4. Green Day - the Dookie/Insomniac/Nimrod/Warning era was the soundtrack to my teenage years, and that, to me doesn't even represent their best work...American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown make for an amazing one-two punch...those, as with several RUSH albums, are two albums I can't listen to just one song from; I have to listen to the whole thing.

• Like 1

The debut ELP album was the best.

So many bands back then - it was their debut album that set them off and running.

I have this and BSS. I didn't enjoy BSS anywhwere near as much, so for now my exploration of ELP is on hold. It was good, but not mindblowing.

• Like 1

The debut ELP album was the best.

So many bands back then - it was their debut album that set them off and running.

I have this and BSS. I didn't enjoy BSS anywhwere near as much, so for now my exploration of ELP is on hold. It was good, but not mindblowing.

I agree. I thought BSS was very disappointing as well when it came out. But that first album was epic.

• Like 1

I have to pull out ELP again.

Mick

Don't pull to hard, it might fall off!

• Like 1

MORE than Rush??

Surely you jest.

Led Zepplin is a distant 2nd place for me.

Sadly not...Rush are not quite my favourite band, right now they are third to Lacuna Coil and Nightwish.

MORE than Rush??

Surely you jest.

Sadly not...Rush are not quite my favourite band, right now they are third to Lacuna Coil and Nightwish.

I can't see the appeal of Lacuna Coil. I bought one of their albums just to see what they were about and they strike me as pale Evanescence imitators.

MORE than Rush??

Surely you jest.

I can't see the appeal of Lacuna Coil. I bought one of their albums just to see what they were about and they strike me as pale Evanescence imitators.

That's what i thought.....at first. I appreciate their sense of melody myself.

very hook-y

Mick

• Like 1

MORE than Rush??

Surely you jest.

Except...erm...by the time Evanescence released their first album, Lacuna Coil had already released three albums, and two EP's and performed live all over Europe and the USA, with Billboard magazine making reference to them before Evanescence had even shot their first video.

• Like 3