Why do people complain when a album is 60 mins instead of 40 mins?

YYZumbi

I see a lot of people on this forum complaining about some Rush albums being to long. 60 mins instead of 40 mins.

And I don´t get that.... Is it not good if we get more songs on each album that Rush release?

I think people mainly like to blame longer album lengths for Rush's latter-day albums getting less glorious than 2112 through Moving Pictures. In actuality, overlong records is probably one factor in these albums not being as awesome, but it's quite likely they wouldn't be too much more awesome with a shorter length. It's basically people trying to reason why they don't make another Moving Pictures when the truth is they just aren't interested in doing that.

I'm probably kind of close.

and they don't mean 60 minutes is too much music for them to handle at once, because I doubt anyone would complain if farewell and hemispheres had been a double album. they just mean that the album would be better, for them, if the songs that they ("they" being "not zumbi") didn't like weren't on the record
  • Like 1

There's a lot of artists out there putting out very long albums that in the pre-CD era would have been released as tighter, and better, at around 40-45 minutes.

Most CD releases these days would have been double-albums back then, and most artists just arent good enough to pull off great double album after double album. Including Rush.

Edited by toscanobarga
  • Like 1

It's about quality over quantity. Look how perfect Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures are with so few songs. There was no room to make a mistake or a bad song because they made the albums short and to the point. On the other hand look at Vapor Trails and Snakes and Arrows. There are a number of good songs on each album but both albums also have clunkers like The Stars Look Down, Out Of The Cradle, Bravest Face and Faithless. Shorter albums mean less filler and more about making each and every song the best it can be even if it means the album is shorter. Sometimes having more to listen to isn't always better.
  • Like 10

It's about quality over quantity. Look how perfect Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures are with so few songs. There was no room to make a mistake or a bad song because they made the albums short and to the point. On the other hand look at Vapor Trails and Snakes and Arrows. There are a number of good songs on each album but both albums also have clunkers like The Stars Look Down, Out Of The Cradle, Bravest Face and Faithless. Shorter albums mean less filler and more about making each and every song the best it can be even if it means the album is shorter. Sometimes having more to listen to isn't always better.

Agree except I enjoy Faithless.

• Like 3

I see a lot of people on this forum complaining about some Rush albums being to long. 60 mins instead of 40 mins.

And I don´t get that.... Is it not good if we get more songs on each album that Rush release?

Especially when the filler songs are still pretty good. So many other bands surround two good songs with fresh dog turd.

Had a lengthy conversation over a bottle of scotch with 2 buddies of mine over Christmas this exact topic.

Bands in the 1970's/ 80's , bands put out 30-50 minute albums.

In particular, Rush, Van Halen had numerous 'short albums' ..Time wise.

As the 80's progressed and the CD became the norm, records got longer and IMO worse.

Cd's seemed to have 2-5 good songs and 5 filler songs. To fill a longer time frame.

It is very hard to find a record from say 1987 on, that has 50+ minutes you love.

Very rare. I believe this still is true.

For Rush the timeframe from 1977 to 1986 seem to be the prime, so I lean 1980's.

A great decade for Rush.

Edited by Disembodied Spirit

I think people mainly like to blame longer album lengths for Rush's latter-day albums getting less glorious than 2112 through Moving Pictures. In actuality, overlong records is probably one factor in these albums not being as awesome, but it's quite likely they wouldn't be too much more awesome with a shorter length. It's basically people trying to reason why they don't make another Moving Pictures when the truth is they just aren't interested in doing that.

I'm probably kind of close.

There is some truth to this.

As Joni Mitchell once said, nobody ever told Van Gogh to paint another Starry Night.

Because on 60 minute albums, we end up with songs like Faithless, The Way the Wind Blows, The Larger Bowl, Spindrift, Armor and Sword, We Hold On, Bravest Face, and Good News First.

Fixed it for ya.

I thought the best thing about being an atheist was NOT having to sit through interminable sermons... :wtf:

• Like 3

I thought the best thing about being an atheist was NOT having to sit through interminable sermons... :wtf:

Or not paying attention/giving a damn about lyrics and just listening to the music. Good playing from Alex.

Edited by BowlCity
  • Like 1

I just phase out after about 45 mins. 45 is fine. 50 and up is pushing it. unless you have bang up materiel.......just a personal thing.

Mick

explain your fondness for dream theater then :LOL:

• Like 2

Because on 60 minute albums, we end up with songs like Faithless, The Way the Wind Blows, The Larger Bowl, Spindrift, Armor and Sword, We Hold On, Bravest Face, and Good News First.

Fixed it for ya.

At least you didn't say Red Lenses...

I just phase out after about 45 mins. 45 is fine. 50 and up is pushing it. unless you have bang up materiel.......just a personal thing.

Mick

explain your fondness for dream theater then :LOL:

i still cut songs........little good that does me, lol. but usually what i'm left with is great so no complaints there.

Mock

Fixed it for ya.

At least you didn't say Red Lenses...

Different album but it would fit right in with the rest of the list.

Red Lenses goes PLINKY PLINKY DOOF DOOF PLINKY DOOF PLINKY DOOF DOOF

Fixed.

I love Grace Under Pressure...with the exception of that one song.

Because on 60 minute albums, we end up with songs like The Garden.

I actually LIKE The Garden....but I always felt that once they started making LONGER albums, they stopped putting the "odd parts" into songs to make it fit, and just made new songs...

If they had a spot that was a snippet they were working on..they USED to just stick it into a song (and add that 7/8 & 5/4 part) rather than make a song out of it.