Your preference: entire classic song or medley?

toymaker

Rush have so many songs and have been around so long (biographies of Rush are almost like history books) and have so many different periods with different fans who appreciate different things—that they tend to cut songs short in order to play more material. Consequently, a lot of great parts don't get heard, like the incredible atmospheric beginning to Xanadu, the mindblowing guitar at the start of La Villa, and so on. It seems to me that even Camera Eye was a bit truncated on the Time Machine tour? If they do play something like Jacob's Ladder, you got to wonder if it's going to be shortened as well.

If you had your choice of hearing, say, all of Xanadu OR a ten minute medley made up of abbreviated classic tracks like Bastille Day, Something for Nothing, Beneath Between and Behind - insert your own favourites - what would it be?

Just curious.

• Like 1

On one hand it'd be nice to get a slew of epics in their entirety, but that would surely cost us a good 8-9 more songs of standard 5-minute length. As much as I'd love ALL of 2112, Xanadu, Jacob's Ladder, By-Tor, La Villa, Hemispheres, and Natural Science on the setlist, it's just not going to happen. Edited by Alchemical

The instrumental R30 medley at the beginning of the shows it's the only one I have enjoied in years; I much prefer entire songs but I could understand a medley for the 20 mins tracks, not be applied to 'shorter' tracks (Xanadu, La Villa Strangiato, Natural Science...)
  • Like 1

As much as Id love to hear full songs, I think the songs that I'd most want to hear would have the best chance of being played in a medley, which at least is different than what I have on cd. The camera eye wasn't worse for being a few bars shorter, by-tor was great even in shortened form, and Jacobs Ladder could be as well.
  • Like 1

If Geddy can hit the high go for the whole song, if not the medley. I have the same opinion aboot BonJovi...let's not compare BonJovi to Rush. We don't compare cake icing to ribeye beef steak.

I don't like medleys,i think it cheapens the song.I did however enjoy the R30 medley but just for the fun of it.
  • Like 1

Medleys can go die in a fire.

NO. MEDLEYS. EVER.

:LMAO: Not sure I agree but that tickled the old funny bone nonetheless... :)
  • Like 1

Depends on the song. If they have trouble with it like with the vocals, I'm okay with a medley but would rather they ditch it entirely for a different song to be played in full.

Xanadu should be played in full.

I don't mind them including songs or instrumental passages in a medley that we'd have no hope of hearing otherwise. I don't like shortened versions of songs in any other circumstance. My opinion is, if you've committed to playing the song outside of a medley, then play the whole thing and not the Cliff's Notes version.
  • Like 1

As the official unofficial ambassador of A Farewell To Kings, I say...

XANADU (in full) OR BUST!!! (but we'll still love you anyway)

• Like 1

I would take a truncated version of Cygnus X-1 and Hemispheres only...no medleys...the whole song, the way it appeared on the album....

I don't want the songs to be the way they are on the album. I'll almost always prefer some extended solos, jams, tweaks...if I wanted to hear the album, I'd listen to the album and save a couple hundred bucks. That's why ATWAS is my favorite album...it actually dared to be a live album, and not a greatest hits album like ESL and ASOH.

• Like 3

I would take a truncated version of Cygnus X-1 and Hemispheres only...no medleys...the whole song, the way it appeared on the album....

That's why ATWAS is my favorite album...

Woohoo!!... :dweez:
  • Like 1