Fly By Night - 40 years old today

The Analog Cub

The first studio album with Neil. In this album you can definitely hear the hints of the absolute rock monsters they would become over the next few albums.

This album's towards the bottom of the list for me, but it has its share of good songs, including the first truly great song they every wrote:

Love this album, it's definitely in the top five for me. Side one is so solid, from that 7/8 intro section to Anthem to the wind chimes at the end of By-Tor. Although the pace doesn't keep up for me on side two Fly By Night and In The End are two Rush classics, and Making Memories is a good rocker. Only Rivendell leaves me feeling flat.
  • Like 1

Damn I'm old. :codger:

I was just thinking that too. I listened to FBN today just to celebrate the anniversary and man, that album was good. I miss those guys. :)

While the debut album sorts of slinked its way onto the scene with the fade-in riff in Finding My Way, FBN exploded off the turntable with the bombastic opening of Anthem. It must have been hard to believe it was even the same band.

"We're Rush, and we're here to kick some ass."

• Like 1

Still never listened to any cuts from the album except Bytor and the title track. Not intentionally, just because I'm lazy. Also took me years of listening to the band to go "Let's try that Caress Of Steel album the critics hated"

It's funny, but when I first decided to listen to everything that Rush had to offer (early 80's), I was surprised when I found out that Fly By Night came before Caress of Steel. To this day, I think that FBN is a much tighter album both musically and lyrically compared to CoS which is kind of all over the place. I would have expected the "all over the place" on the first album where the band had a new drummer and lyricist.
  • Like 1