2015 MLB Season Thread

RUSHHEAD666

Word is the Angels are about to ship Hamilton back to Texas. Texas will reportedly be on the hook for $15M of the $83M owed Hamilton (meaning the Angels are paying Josh Hamilton $68M to go away).

This leaves two questions in my mind:

1) How is Hamilton going to manage the fact he talked tremendous trash about Ranger fans as he left?

2) How quickly do you think the Yankees speed dialed the Rangers to see if they can get Texas to take A-Rod back, as well?

I am seriously sick of this town's sports teams. :facepalm:

I'm having a really hard time understanding the logic behind this move. He's proven himself to be a liability, and the Rangers want him back? Does Jon Daniels not have enough drama in his life?

I think they're in desperation mode. Not sure if this will work but apparently the players he's replacing are awful.

The trade-off being upstanding guys who play like crap in exchange for a not-always-upstanding guy who sometimes, sorta, kinda, when he wants to, plays really f'ing good. From what I'm reading, the Rangers who know him are fully supportive of him returning. BUT... they are not the fans he trashed and verbally shit on upon departure. And, the contract stipulations are interesting, as well. It's all about the state income tax, baby:

http://hardballtalk....fter-two-years/

Personally, I wouldn't want the guy. He can't be trusted. Better to tear things down and start from scratch. Hamilton isn't going to get you to the playoffs, and if he can't, what's the point?

Personally, I wouldn't want the guy either. I have been extremely vocal with anyone who brings the subject of Josh Hamilton up with me for f***ing YEARS, man. He is a waste of an amazing talent, and a guy who apparently can preach his way into charming anyone. His Christian ramblings don't hold water with me when he is sucking millions into his bank account while consistently breaching the trust of the teams paying him to just shut up and play.

He's a waste of amazing talent, to be sure. His talent is the only reason that he could talk anyone into anything, though...if he wasn't a supreme talent, he probably wouldn't be able to lead a two bit whore to bed.

(Actually, that's overstating it but I've always wanted to use that line.)

That's a good line. Glad you were finally able to use it when referring to one of my teams. I know you've been waiting for this day for a long time. ;)

• Like 2

Word is the Angels are about to ship Hamilton back to Texas. Texas will reportedly be on the hook for $15M of the $83M owed Hamilton (meaning the Angels are paying Josh Hamilton $68M to go away).

1) How is Hamilton going to manage the fact he talked tremendous trash about Ranger fans as he left?

2) How quickly do you think the Yankees speed dialed the Rangers to see if they can get Texas to take A-Rod back, as well?

I'm having a really hard time understanding the logic behind this move. He's proven himself to be a liability, and the Rangers want him back? Does Jon Daniels not have enough drama in his life?

I think they're in desperation mode. Not sure if this will work but apparently the players he's replacing are awful.

The trade-off being upstanding guys who play like crap in exchange for a not-always-upstanding guy who sometimes, sorta, kinda, when he wants to, plays really f'ing good. From what I'm reading, the Rangers who know him are fully supportive of him returning. BUT... they are not the fans he trashed and verbally shit on upon departure. And, the contract stipulations are interesting, as well. It's all about the state income tax, baby:

Personally, I wouldn't want the guy. He can't be trusted. Better to tear things down and start from scratch. Hamilton isn't going to get you to the playoffs, and if he can't, what's the point?

Personally, I wouldn't want the guy either. I have been extremely vocal with anyone who brings the subject of Josh Hamilton up with me for f***ing YEARS, man. He is a waste of an amazing talent, and a guy who apparently can preach his way into charming anyone. His Christian ramblings don't hold water with me when he is sucking millions into his bank account while consistently breaching the trust of the teams paying him to just shut up and play.

He's a waste of amazing talent, to be sure. His talent is the only reason that he could talk anyone into anything, though...if he wasn't a supreme talent, he probably wouldn't be able to lead a two bit whore to bed.

That's a good line. Glad you were finally able to use it when referring to one of my teams. I know you've been waiting for this day for a long time. ;)

I was sure I'd be able to do it. It's a shock though that it didn't come when referencing the Cowboys.

Actually, it's a stolen line, Bob Knight said that about Stew Robinson in "Season on the Brink".

• Like 1

I was sure I'd be able to do it. It's a shock though that it didn't come when referencing the Cowboys.

Actually, it's a stolen line, Bob Knight said that about Stew Robinson in "Season on the Brink".

I was actually going to add that about the Cowboys! :LOL:

My poor town. Not only are we NOT a baseball town, but our football team has been commissioned to be a half-way house. *sniffle* :(

My poor town. Not only are we NOT a baseball town, but our football team has been commissioned to be a half-way house. *sniffle* :(

I'm not really sure what's wrong with me... I think I just passed up a chance to slam Jerruh Jones and the Cowboys.

You must be a helluva nice fan... :)

• Like 1

I'm not really sure what's wrong with me... I think I just passed up a chance to slam Jerruh Jones and the Cowboys.

I think you're losing your touch. So sad... :(

:madra:

• Like 1

Can't do it. Maybe it's because you're not trying to justify the unjustifiable.

• Like 1

Not arguing the unarguable? The Hamilton situation is a completely different situation from the Cowboys thing.

Not arguing the unarguable? The Hamilton situation is a completely different situation from the Cowboys thing.

Sure, they're different. But what I was getting at (seemingly unsuccessfully) is the whitewashing or underplaying of things or "well, other teams do the same thing so don't be a hypocrite" arguments often encountered because someone was helpful to the team or on the team to begin with (not really referring to anyone here, just more to what fans do in general).

My A's were swept by the Houston Astros for the first time in franchise history and I was there.

I have now seen five A's games this season.

I'm 1-4

I'm done.

:LOL:

RIP Earl

I hope you didn't buy season tickets...

Edited by BowlCity

My A's were swept by the Houston Astros for the first time in franchise history and I was there.

I'm 1-4

I'm done.

Also the Astros have only been an AL team for two years. So not much history here. So just calm the F down. ;)

I'm 1-4

I'm done.

Also the Astros have only been an AL team for two years. So not much history here. So just calm the F down. ;)

Before the season started, I told a couple of baseball loving friends to not be suprised to see Houston at .500 and even potentially making a run at the Wild Card play-in.... that Houston could be the Royals of 2015.

They blinked and then started laughing.

It's early, but they are now just blinking and not laughing as much.

The Astros are very much in the same situation as the Cubs. Both teams have very young, but potentially talented players on their roster, and a decent reservoir of developing talent in their farm systems. One key difference is the Cubs have a lot of players taken 1-5 in the drafts and the Astros were picking more in the 10-15 range.... but the talent differential in those players is actually quite small (as you have a *lot* of high draft picks go bust in baseball). Another key difference is the Astros play without the significant pressures and expectations that exist on the north side of Chicago. Houston could very quietly put together a solid first half of the season and the four letter network... too busy focusing on the AL East... likely won't notice until the All-Star Break.

PS Plus, Houston brought back the orange and blue and the H star logo last year. I think the unigods are smiling on Houston and will send some mojo their way.

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime

The Astros have a good team, I'm not sure this is really the year for them, but they have a lot of talent for sure. They figured out what every team that plays in a bandbox of a ballpark needs to figure out ... you need pitching, you cannot win with most of your scores being 12-8

I'm 1-4

I'm done.

Before the season started, I told a couple of baseball loving friends to not be suprised to see Houston at .500 and even potentially making a run at the Wild Card play-in.... that Houston could be the Royals of 2015.

The Astros are very much in the same situation as the Cubs. Both teams have very young, but potentially talented players on their roster, and a decent reservoir of developing talent in their farm systems. One key difference is the Cubs have a lot of players taken 1-5 in the drafts and the Astros were picking more in the 10-15 range.... but the talent differential in those players is actually quite small (as you have a *lot* of high draft picks go bust in baseball). Another key difference is the Astros play without the significant pressures and expectations that exist on the north side of Chicago. Houston could very quietly put together a solid first half of the season and the four letter network... too busy focusing on the AL East... likely won't notice until the All-Star Break.

PS Plus, Houston brought back the orange and blue and the H star logo last year. I think the unigods are smiling on Houston and will send some mojo their way.

I do like the Astros retro color scheme, except when they were wearing their orange shirts, playing the A's with their yellow shirts. That was a bit too much.

Last night at the last minute a friend called me because he had field box seats for the Red Sox - Blue Jays game, and he knows that I'm in Boston already. It was supposed to start at 6:10 because they're trying to make the game more kid friendly, meaning they want games to end before 11 pm. They also had a timer going that provided for 3 minutes between half innings. I felt like the game moved a little quicker to be honest.
  • Like 1

Last night at the last minute a friend called me because he had field box seats for the Red Sox - Blue Jays game, and he knows that I'm in Boston already. It was supposed to start at 6:10 because they're trying to make the game more kid friendly, meaning they want games to end before 11 pm. They also had a timer going that provided for 3 minutes between half innings. I felt like the game moved a little quicker to be honest.

Given the come from behind victory, I'm sure it was a fun one, too.

Poor Geddy.

Edited by BowlCity
  • Like 1

Given the come from behind victory, I'm sure it was a fun one, too.

Poor Geddy.

Indeed. When Kelly gave up 3 in the first I thought maybe it was going to be a short night for him. And when the Sox loaded the bases in the 8th but only got one run (unbelievable catch by Toronto's left fielder on a Hanley Ramirez shot) I thought my friend and I might be in for a long one.

Orioles/Sox game cancelled today. They will play tomorrow, but the game is not open to the public. Might be the only Sox game I watch all year (unless they play the Cubs)

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/12781465/baltimore-orioles-chicago-white-sox-series-finale-played-wednesday-closed-public

Orioles/Sox game cancelled today. They will play tomorrow, but the game is not open to the public. Might be the only Sox game I watch all year (unless they play the Cubs)

http://espn.go.com/m...y-closed-public

So no fans?

So to the players it will be like any game in Tampa. Understood

• Like 2

http://espn.go.com/m...y-closed-public

So sad. They had said on the news last night that the next few games would be played in Washington DC since the Nats are on the road but I guess that didn't work out for some reason. (I live about an hour away.)

I'm 1-4

I'm done.

I do like the Astros retro color scheme, except when they were wearing their orange shirts, playing the A's with their yellow shirts. That was a bit too much.

http://www.toptenz.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/pittsburghpirates.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_BpDNdb-o2MU/SkUdzFBpfhI/AAAAAAAABz0/SIu9FsxITYo/s400/Picture+29.png

http://site.autographsforsale.com/googleimages/rollie-fingers-autographed-padres-8x10-photo.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4028/4642846993_5c12f7a966_o.jpg

• Like 3

The Astros have a good team, I'm not sure this is really the year for them, but they have a lot of talent for sure. They figured out what every team that plays in a bandbox of a ballpark needs to figure out ... you need pitching, you cannot win with most of your scores being 12-8

Oh, I am not predicting they will go to the World Series..... but I am saying they could very easily be in the picture come September, especially given the quirkiness that is the AL West.

And, yes, pitching is the answer to most things in baseball.... especially when an infield fly to short can end up over the left field fence in your home park. For those who have never been to a game at Minute Maid... as short as the left field corner looks on TV.... it's shorter.

• Like 1

I know some of the "purists" out there aren't happy about the efforts to speed up the game, but I tend to think the few they have in place right now (batter to remain one foot in the box, timer between innings, etc.) are going to be overall good.

The entire act of an at-bat has reached ridiculous proportions..... seemingly endless walk up music, the batter stepping out for every pitch, to then adjust all of his gear (that's a whole other story), prepare a light snack, check the weather report on his phone, double check the signals from the dugout, walk around the box three times, tap home in a superstitious pattern, and then.... oh, wait... put their hand up to ask for time and do it all over again.