2015 MLB Season Thread

RUSHHEAD666

My A's were swept by the Houston Astros for the first time in franchise history and I was there.

I have now seen five A's games this season.

I'm 1-4

I'm done.

Also the Astros have only been an AL team for two years. So not much history here. So just calm the F down. ;)

Before the season started, I told a couple of baseball loving friends to not be suprised to see Houston at .500 and even potentially making a run at the Wild Card play-in.... that Houston could be the Royals of 2015.

They blinked and then started laughing.

It's early, but they are now just blinking and not laughing as much.

The Astros are very much in the same situation as the Cubs. Both teams have very young, but potentially talented players on their roster, and a decent reservoir of developing talent in their farm systems. One key difference is the Cubs have a lot of players taken 1-5 in the drafts and the Astros were picking more in the 10-15 range.... but the talent differential in those players is actually quite small (as you have a *lot* of high draft picks go bust in baseball). Another key difference is the Astros play without the significant pressures and expectations that exist on the north side of Chicago. Houston could very quietly put together a solid first half of the season and the four letter network... too busy focusing on the AL East... likely won't notice until the All-Star Break.

PS Plus, Houston brought back the orange and blue and the H star logo last year. I think the unigods are smiling on Houston and will send some mojo their way.

I do like the Astros retro color scheme, except when they were wearing their orange shirts, playing the A's with their yellow shirts. That was a bit too much.

http://www.toptenz.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/pittsburghpirates.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_BpDNdb-o2MU/SkUdzFBpfhI/AAAAAAAABz0/SIu9FsxITYo/s400/Picture+29.png

http://site.autographsforsale.com/googleimages/rollie-fingers-autographed-padres-8x10-photo.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4028/4642846993_5c12f7a966_o.jpg

The unigods are not in favor on one-tone jersey pant match ups unless that single tone is white, gray, or powder blue.

• Like 2

Last night at the last minute a friend called me because he had field box seats for the Red Sox - Blue Jays game, and he knows that I'm in Boston already. It was supposed to start at 6:10 because they're trying to make the game more kid friendly, meaning they want games to end before 11 pm. They also had a timer going that provided for 3 minutes between half innings. I felt like the game moved a little quicker to be honest.

haha, took less time for the Jays to loose.

Last night at the last minute a friend called me because he had field box seats for the Red Sox - Blue Jays game, and he knows that I'm in Boston already. It was supposed to start at 6:10 because they're trying to make the game more kid friendly, meaning they want games to end before 11 pm. They also had a timer going that provided for 3 minutes between half innings. I felt like the game moved a little quicker to be honest.

I know some of the "purists" out there aren't happy about the efforts to speed up the game, but I tend to think the few they have in place right now (batter to remain one foot in the box, timer between innings, etc.) are going to be overall good.

The entire act of an at-bat has reached ridiculous proportions..... seemingly endless walk up music, the batter stepping out for every pitch, to then adjust all of his gear (that's a whole other story), prepare a light snack, check the weather report on his phone, double check the signals from the dugout, walk around the box three times, tap home in a superstitious pattern, and then.... oh, wait... put their hand up to ask for time and do it all over again.

My son's little league game last night was horrible in this respect. At minor AA, the opposing coach has decided to have all of his kids step out on each pitch, take three or four cuts, step in with the hand up, dig holes for each foot, tap the plate in four spots... It's ridiculous.

The minor league game I watched last week had a 20-second clock ticking down from the ump's call to the pitcher getting set on the rubber. It kept the pace going.
  • Like 1

My A's were swept by the Houston Astros for the first time in franchise history and I was there.

I'm 1-4

I'm done.

Also the Astros have only been an AL team for two years. So not much history here. So just calm the F down. ;)

Before the season started, I told a couple of baseball loving friends to not be suprised to see Houston at .500 and even potentially making a run at the Wild Card play-in.... that Houston could be the Royals of 2015.

The Astros are very much in the same situation as the Cubs. Both teams have very young, but potentially talented players on their roster, and a decent reservoir of developing talent in their farm systems. One key difference is the Cubs have a lot of players taken 1-5 in the drafts and the Astros were picking more in the 10-15 range.... but the talent differential in those players is actually quite small (as you have a *lot* of high draft picks go bust in baseball). Another key difference is the Astros play without the significant pressures and expectations that exist on the north side of Chicago. Houston could very quietly put together a solid first half of the season and the four letter network... too busy focusing on the AL East... likely won't notice until the All-Star Break.

PS Plus, Houston brought back the orange and blue and the H star logo last year. I think the unigods are smiling on Houston and will send some mojo their way.

I do like the Astros retro color scheme, except when they were wearing their orange shirts, playing the A's with their yellow shirts. That was a bit too much.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_BpDNdb-o2MU/SkUdzFBpfhI/AAAAAAAABz0/SIu9FsxITYo/s400/Picture+29.png

http://site.autographsforsale.com/googleimages/rollie-fingers-autographed-padres-8x10-photo.jpg

Rollie baby! I love him! Met him in Cooperstown when I was there to see Reggie get sworn in. Reggie is a prick but Rollie is a nice guy!

• Like 2

haha, took less time for the Jays to loose.

Can you say Devon Travis? Damn!! I wanted to pick him up in my fantasy and it was too late. UGH

I know some of the "purists" out there aren't happy about the efforts to speed up the game, but I tend to think the few they have in place right now (batter to remain one foot in the box, timer between innings, etc.) are going to be overall good.

The entire act of an at-bat has reached ridiculous proportions..... seemingly endless walk up music, the batter stepping out for every pitch, to then adjust all of his gear (that's a whole other story), prepare a light snack, check the weather report on his phone, double check the signals from the dugout, walk around the box three times, tap home in a superstitious pattern, and then.... oh, wait... put their hand up to ask for time and do it all over again.

My son's little league game last night was horrible in this respect. At minor AA, the opposing coach has decided to have all of his kids step out on each pitch, take three or four cuts, step in with the hand up, dig holes for each foot, tap the plate in four spots... It's ridiculous.

So.... which Rush song is your boy's walk up music?

And, um, yeah, that's ridiculous. And we wonder why we have kids hot dogging home run trots at the Little League World Series.

• Like 2

The minor league game I watched last week had a 20-second clock ticking down from the ump's call to the pitcher getting set on the rubber. It kept the pace going.

MLB is being more aggressive with time effort experiments in the minors. The word on the street is they A) think they can get away with the more aggressive approach in the minors without ruffling too many feathers, and B) condition younger players to these expectations and implement some of them in the majors in coming years.

• Like 1

I'm 1-4

I'm done.

Rollie baby! I love him! Met him in Cooperstown when I was there to see Reggie get sworn in. Reggie is a prick but Rollie is a nice guy!

A buddy of mine from Oaktown used to go to parties where Reggie would show up. He said he was an ok guy. But that was way back in the day.

So.... which Rush song is your boy's walk up music?

And, um, yeah, that's ridiculous. And we wonder why we have kids hot dogging home run trots at the Little League World Series.

Yeah...that team is a breeding ground for a-holes. It's a shame. they are constantly fake stealing, trying to distract the pitcher...and they steal on the toss back from the catcher. Nine-year-olds coached to do that. It's embarrassing.
  • Like 2

There is no one in Camden Yards, but the PA announcer is still introducing players.

Very odd.

I am wondering if the organist will play occasionally to get the fans ...er.....tarp guys fired up

• Like 1

Today- 10 minutes before 1st pitch.

Can u say Creepy?

http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag153/Freedom80065/creepy_zpskksnpj79.jpg

Has anyone made any Montreal Expos/Florida Marlins attendance jokes yet?
  • Like 3

I love the A's as much as I love Rush. I will never give up and my team. But yeah its not looking good. Still its only April. I try not to shoot my wad too early:/

The A's have a way of getting hot towards the end of the season. This division is wide open for the taking.

Today- 10 minutes before 1st pitch.

Can u say Creepy?

http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag153/Freedom80065/creepy_zpskksnpj79.jpg

I watched portions of the game and half expected Will Smith to come walking across center field, quoting Shrek, and rambling to his dog.

• Like 2

I love the A's as much as I love Rush. I will never give up and my team. But yeah its not looking good. Still its only April. I try not to shoot my wad too early:/

The A's have a way of getting hot towards the end of the season. This division is wide open for the taking.

The A's have several obstacles to get over right now. Their biggest problem is their bullpen, which seems to be a mess with Doolittle out of the picture. Zobrist on the DL is huge, as is not having spark plug Coco since day one. Lawrie looks lost at the plate now too.

With the West showing improvement as a whole, it's going to be tougher than ever for them to right the ship, but never underestimate a Beane constructed team.

Anyone here play fantasy?

I usually do, but am taking this year off. I love baseball and fantasy sports, but fantasy baseball can be a huge time suck