2015 MLB Season Thread

RUSHHEAD666

The umpires have called today's game.

They must have wanted to beat the Marathon traffic.

Final 7 innings

Red Sox 7. Baltimore 1

• Like 1

Oakland/KC rubber game today.

Let's see if they can get through one game without sliding into second with spikes up or throwing fastballs into each other's ribs.

Yeah,

This series has been a little testy.

More drama at today's game. These teams genuinely do not like each other.

http://m.mlb.com/new...tween-as-royals

Yeah,

I saw the highlights last night. The next series will be an interesting one. I don't remember any real history of bad blood between the teams. I wonder what set the recent hatred off?

maybe Brett Lawrie?

• Like 1

Let's see if they can get through one game without sliding into second with spikes up or throwing fastballs into each other's ribs.

Yeah,

Yeah,

I saw the highlights last night. The next series will be an interesting one. I don't remember any real history of bad blood between the teams. I wonder what set the recent hatred off?

maybe Brett Lawrie?

Yeah,

That play didn't help things. I thought it was a bad slide on his part. It was late but he did not go out of his way to take the guy out. But at the same time after the Royals retaliated it should have ended there. But some times stuff like this can lead to further tensions down the road. It won't take much next time the two teams meet.

http://deadspin.com/...razy-1698923638

Edited by troutman
  • Like 1

Yeah,

Yeah,

Roy-holes.

Yeah,

Yeah,

Roy-holes.

Will you be at the next series?

Yeah,

Yeah,

Roy-holes.

Hmmm...I might could go.
  • Like 1

Yeah,

Yeah,

Roy-holes.

Hmmm...I might could go.

Man,

That is going to be like the Raiders/Steelers of the 70's. :LOL: I would love to witness it!

I should have also included the Raiders/ Chiefs of the 60's&70's!! :madra:

Edited by troutman
  • Like 1

Just gonna point this out.... my beloved Birds have started the season 8-3 against the NL Central (no games against Pitt yet, though). This includes a 1-1 split against Chicago thanks to a (sort of) rain out, a 2-1 series win over the Brewers, a 2-1 series win over the Reds, and now a 3-0 sweep of the Reds.

Yes, it's very early, but...... okay..... never mind..... 5-1 against the Reds.

Woo-hoo we can still kick puppies!

Here's to a tight NL Central race.... Cubbies, Brewers, and Pirates... bring it!

Reds... thanks for showing up. We will do it Little League style and give you a participation trophy at All-Star break.

I'm afraid we're probably still a year away. And I'm starting to think our free agent signing is a huge bust.

At least we didn't sign Rick Porcello to a huge contract.

Right. Because then you'd be the Red Sox. The team that won the World Series 2 seasons ago.

You're paying Jon Lester $155 million between now and 2020. He's 30. He can't throw to first. Was that really that much smarter of signing?

Yeah, the Lester signing sucks. But he's better than Porcello.

If you can get the ball to home quickly enough the problems with throwing to first wont be a killer. He needs to do a better job of getting hitters out though.

Giants baseball...Carson Valley Little League edition:

Down 3-9, my son's team got two runs in the bottom of the 4th to cut the lead to four. Three minutes left on the clock meant they could start the 5th inning. A four-batter top of the 5th meant no damage, so we went to the bottom of the 5th, 5-9. Six walks, a hit batsman and a wild pitch steal of home got the Giants the five runs they needed for a win.

:LOL:

• Like 2

Down 3-9, my son's team got two runs in the bottom of the 4th to cut the lead to four. Three minutes left on the clock meant they could start the 5th inning. A four-batter top of the 5th meant no damage, so we went to the bottom of the 5th, 5-9. Six walks, a hit batsman and a wild pitch steal of home got the Giants the five runs they needed for a win.

Cool!

They use a clock?

Cool!

They use a clock?

Yeah. There's a 1:50 time limit. Any inning started within that time can be completed. A full game is six innings, but that hasn't happened. The pace is so slow, we usually get four innings in.

Moneyball FTW!

• Like 1

Yeah,

Yeah,

Roy-holes.

Hmmm...I might could go.

I always hit at least one game of the series when KC rolls into town.

The question is; Do I wear my Royal Blue when they come this time? I really don't want to be Brian Stowed.

• Like 1

Just gonna point this out.... my beloved Birds have started the season 8-3 against the NL Central (no games against Pitt yet, though). This includes a 1-1 split against Chicago thanks to a (sort of) rain out, a 2-1 series win over the Brewers, a 2-1 series win over the Reds, and now a 3-0 sweep of the Reds.

Here's to a tight NL Central race.... Cubbies, Brewers, and Pirates... bring it!

Reds... thanks for showing up. We will do it Little League style and give you a participation trophy at All-Star break.

I'm afraid we're probably still a year away. And I'm starting to think our free agent signing is a huge bust.

Right. Because then you'd be the Red Sox. The team that won the World Series 2 seasons ago.

You're paying Jon Lester $155 million between now and 2020. He's 30. He can't throw to first. Was that really that much smarter of signing?

If you can get the ball to home quickly enough the problems with throwing to first wont be a killer. He needs to do a better job of getting hitters out though.

If they know he won't throw to first the runners can get outrageous jumps on him. When he doesn't give up hits or walks that's not a problem.

Porcello's going to be better over the life of the contract. If he's better this year you're really screwed.

If they know he won't throw to first the runners can get outrageous jumps on him. When he doesn't give up hits or walks that's not a problem.

Porcello's going to be better over the life of the contract. If he's better this year you're really screwed.

Baseball stats guru (and Red Sox front office employee) Bill James wrote that, regardless of age, the Ks/9 ratio was more indicative of a pitcher's longevity than any other stat. Lester's at 8.2, Porcello's at 5.5. Hmmm...

Baseball stats guru (and Red Sox front office employee) Bill James wrote that, regardless of age, the Ks/9 ratio was more indicative of a pitcher's longevity than any other stat. Lester's at 8.2, Porcello's at 5.5. Hmmm...

How have most pitchers who have signed long term deals at or after 30 done over the life of the contract?

How have most pitchers who have signed long term deals at or after 30 done over the life of the contract?

Some have done well, others, not so much.

Cliff Lee has done pretty well, Randy Johnson did OK. Buehrle's been good. Roy Halladay's been excellent. I'm sure you could find some counterexamples without too much trouble.

Some have done well, others, not so much.

Cliff Lee has done pretty well, Randy Johnson did OK. Buehrle's been good. Roy Halladay's been excellent. I'm sure you could find some counterexamples without too much trouble.

Exactly. Barry Zito. Kevin Brown. Mike Hampton.

• Like 1